• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM129: The Great Fray! Battle Royal 151!!

And in spite of that, she’s still a beginner trainer whose biggest accomplishment is performing a Z-move. She’s had all the opportunity in the world to become more battle oriented throughout the saga especially with all the focus she got in the beginning but never amounted to much.
She was traumatized to touch pokémon for most of her childhood, give her some slack.
Again, we don’t actually know that for a fact. Ash and co have only met a handful of trainers and m, as the battle royal shows, there’s a lot more.
Why aren't they joining the league then? They don't exist if we didn't see them. We already saw Island Kings of Alola, and they all were no match for Satoshi.
That’s like saying that Ash’s loss at the Indigo Plateau or May’s loss in the Kanto Grand Festival were horrible. The entire point is showing that they still have a road to go to improve and learning from defeat. The plot holding their hand and just handing them a high spot in the tournament despite them not really working on t
That's not comparable at all. None of them are going to be champion. Lilie and Mao are most likely be defeated in their next match, Suiren and Mamane are lucky if one of them can be in the top 4.

God the battle royale was stupid. Barely any trainers were shown, defenses were cranked down like crazy, and trainers were running around in the middle of dangerous battle field.

Highlight: James winning by doing absolutely nothing

Low point: Plumeria losing to Illima. God hope my boy Guzma wins!

KAHILLA LOST!

Last edited:
She was traumatized to touch pokémon for most of her childhood, give her some slack.
Her having that condition was resolved by the end of the first arc and the writers did really nothing with her for vast stretches of that time even when presented with the opportunity to.

Why aren't they joining the league then? They don't exist if we didn't see them. We already saw Island Kings of Alola, and they all were no match for Satoshi.
Because this is a fictional universe controlled by the writers of the series and they have what they feel like happen whether it makes sense or not. That’s like asking why we never heard of Tobias before the Sinnoh league despite the fact that someone going around with a Darkrai defeating everyone in his path without ever losing a Pokémon is gonna get attention through the grapevine.

That's not comparable at all. None of them are going to be champion. Lilie and Mao are most likely be defeated in their next match, Suiren and Mamane are lucky if one of them can be in the top 4.
Yes that is comparable as it is the basis of being in the competitive field. It doesn’t matter whether or not they’re going to win, it’s contrived that these people who barely trained their Pokémon for this entire series have advanced to the top 16 of a league tournament without even a single one being eliminated. That’s stretching the willing suspension of disbelief.

God the battle royale was stupid. Barely any trainers were shown, defenses were cranked down like crazy, and trainers were running around in the middle of dangerous battle field.

Highlight: James winning by doing absolutely nothing

Low point: Plumeria losing to Illima. God hope my boy Guzma wins!

KAHILLA LOST!
Plan was to surrive to nearly end as team rocket wanted to do
Feels like dragon ball z super

Hold up... Someone entered the royale with a magikarp.

I wonder what was in his head to enter it.

"Watch out! I'm gonna prove that this magikarp can beat anyone out here. KARP POWA!"

What was he thinking? ;_;

They could have made it a 2 episode feature. Really many going on. New moves at least. Hope more evos and more pokemon. Hope that the girls use bigger teams. Each could use 3.

Did anyone else notice that in the scene where Kiawe is complementing Lillie, Lillie’s shirt was missing it’s sleeves?

Last edited:
Team Rocket were even more pointless, well apart from Mimikyu, what is the point of entering the league if your pinning your survival on not battling

Felt wierd seeing Mimikyu attempting to attack, even when in its ball

Team Rocket were even more pointless, well apart from Mimikyu, what is the point of entering the league if your pinning your survival on not battling

Felt wierd seeing Mimikyu attempting to attack, even when in its ball
It was battle three pikachu

[I haven’t seen the episode with subtitles yet so if I get some information wrong I will be back to edit this post]

I really enjoyed this episode. The tropical atmosphere of the Alola region just makes me so happy for some reason. It was cool to see recurring characters (even if it was just for a little bit) and I loved the Battle Royal aspect of the first round. Ash, Kiawe, and even Sophocles showed quite some skill in this episode (I'm sure the girls were skillful too but we didn’t really see them battle). I’m so happy Togedemaru finally used a new move, I love zing zap as much as the next guy, but this was a much needed addition. I think the battling was very well animated given that this was pretty much a free-for-all instead of a simpler trainer vs trainer battle. This episode was action packed and thrilling. I’m a little disappointed with Mareanie’s lack of battling, but it doesn’t affect my thoughts of the episode (we’ll see it battle in episode 131 anyway). The matchups for the next round are really exciting. Excited for meltan to battle some more, mega kanga is a huge suprise, two Alolan forms dueling it out, and best friends fighting for a spot in the quarterfinals. Overall, this episode was very very fun to watch and a great way to start the battling aspect of the league. 9.5/10 :)

Edit: So not battling was actually Team Rocket’s plan... that’s why Mareanie didn’t battle. Not gonna lie, the “we run like crazy cuz if we battle we lose” comment made me laugh out loud. Also, I just wanted to say that “Type:Wild” being the ending theme again just made my heart so happy.

Last edited:

Kurolegacy was saying the writers could have developed original characters to join the League, but that's unnecessary. The League had Kahili and Plumeria as participants, and I think these two should have passed the preliminary round instead of Sophocles and Lillie. It's surreal that all of Ash's classmates advanced to the main rounds, when some of them have had less than five battles their whole lives. Aside from the characters already participating, we still have other Trainers in Alola whose progression to the main rounds would be more believable, like Molayne and even Ryuki. Ryuki, although not presented as a skilled Trainer in his appearance, certainly has more battle experience than Sophocles and Lillie.

I disagree when Kurolegacy says that Ash's classmates have no business being in the League. They entered because, as you said in one of your posts, it sounds fun and they obviously want to support their teacher in fulfilling his lifelong dream. However, I don't think all of them should have made it through the preliminary round, especially when they're competing not individually, but rather as a team.

Yeah but Mareanie did nothing but staying on James shoulder
I mean Jessie Mymykyu had battle three pikachu while it’s profile page said two which is wrong needs to be edit to get it fix that means someone didn’t pay attention

Really enjoyed this episode. Even though it's a little unrealistic that they'd place 151 trainers and Pokemon to fight in a stadium, in the open and all able to move and stuff, at least they showed people getting hit.

The battle royale style did work for me. It's something we've never seen before and reminded me of franchises I really like (though some characters stayed too much in the background... No Hau or Ookido or Kojirou battle).

Also, Musajina, Dekojirou, OMG xDDDD

Really enjoyed this episode. Even though it's a little unrealistic that they'd place 151 trainers and Pokemon to fight in a stadium, in the open and all able to move and stuff, at least they showed people getting hit.

The battle royale style did work for me. It's something we've never seen before and reminded me of franchises I really like (though some characters stayed too much in the background... No Hau or Ookido or Kojirou battle).

Also, Musajina, Dekojirou, OMG xDDDD
I said it like idea of dragon ball z super

What moves did that Skarmory use against Gyardos and that Sparrow did against Torkal? Does anyone know

We never hear any attack commands being given... hell, we don't even see their trainers. If I had to guess they'd be Metal Claw and Gust but it's entirely guesswork.

We never hear any attack commands being given... hell, we don't even see their trainers. If I had to guess they'd be Metal Claw and Gust but it's entirely guesswork.
Thanks I was curious

I wonder why they want 16 why not 32 opponents for round maybe they trying to do fast since it’s only 138 episodes or something

I’m curious afther the league is over is it on the search for Lillie father

I was hoping that trainer I mean ninja that Ash met to find dragon gym. Will be cool if he enter

How could the flying girl who is one of the pokemon elite four in both sun SM and USUM to not make it to next step and Hau did it.

This is one of things that I didn't like. I thought that 4 against 4 in royal and they will try to throw some matches but still this fine with me.

The best in the game are arcola the ghost girl with the fairy girl who like drawing and the flying elite four girl and no one of them will challenge ash. How could this be.

Ash vs guzma in the final and guzma vs kukui hakase will kukui will beat guzma. This is my thought.

Also, I am so excitied to see Mallow vs Lana. But i am not happy tyat they will challenge each other so quickly

Last edited:
Very mixed episode to say the least.

Some great moments (the one scene between Ash and Gladion) and some bad moments (barely any footage of Shaymin fighting, Plumeria losing to Illima though it’s not like he’s gonna stand a chance against Guzma anyway) but at the very least it’s getting off to a far better start than the previous league anyway.

...but at the very least it’s getting off to a far better start than the previous league anyway.
This is what's keeping me optimistic for the remainder of the League. Last time started off damp but did actually have some very compelling battles (regardless of what anyone thinks of the outcome) so I'm hoping for the same this time round! The next episode preview at least seems promising.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom