• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review M22: Mewtwo's Counterattack Evolution

One year finished for movie 21 and it finished so quickly.

Last edited:
I like that they replaced Raymond Golem with a Drowzee to avoid the Ground type being defeated by an Electric type move
I'm surprised it isn't Hypno considering the rest of Raymond's team. They're fully evolved but weak.

What fiery move did Donphan use in one of the trailers? How often do post-Kanto moves come up?

Besides the Viking boat being removed and Golem being replaced by Drowzee, how was the move different?

Besides the Viking boat being removed and Golem being replaced by Drowzee, how was the move different?
WPM's review seems fairly exhaustive. The biggest changes are to the music (I'm a little uneasy about that, but movie music has never been my thing), but there are minor details here and there. They've done a better job making Brock and Misty stand out somewhat.

When this film comes to America, I certainly hope that they use the original 4Kids cast again. This includes:
Veronica Taylor
Rachael Lillis
Eric Stuart
Maddie Blaustein (Archival Voice)
Megan Hollingshead
Lee Quick
Ted Lewis
Rodger Parsons
Ikue Ohtani
Carter Cathcart
Lisa Ortiz
Kayzie Rogers
and
Dan Green as "Mewtwo"

When this film comes to America, I certainly hope that they use the original 4Kids cast again. This includes:
Veronica Taylor
Rachael Lillis
Eric Stuart
Maddie Blaustein (Archival Voice)
Megan Hollingshead
Lee Quick
Ted Lewis
Rodger Parsons
Ikue Ohtani
Carter Cathcart
Lisa Ortiz
Kayzie Rogers
and
Dan Green as "Mewtwo"

It's already confirmed that TPCi is using their current voice actors for the dub, so no Veronica, Rachael, Eric, or Maddie.

WPM's review seems fairly exhaustive.
WPM said:
Before the film started, I spotted Hidenaga Katakami, one of the producers of the film (he also was a producer on Detective Pikachu). I called him over and asked him a bunch of questions since there were no interview opportunities. He revealed to me that The Pokemon Company had to get the rights to the movie from Takeshi Shudo’s estate (the original writer of the film). I also asked him if this is why the Mewtwo in the Genesect movie was different (to legally distinguish it from his). He said yes, thus confirming my long-standing theory!
That...doesn't make any sense. How can they not own their own film's script?

Said it in an earlier thread but I'm actually semi-hopeful they get Jay Goede back as Mewtwo. M1 Mewtwo doesn't have a canon voice in the TPCI dub, so while they'll never give the roles of Ash, Misty, Brock or Team Rocket back to the original voice actors, there's no reason why they couldn't use Goede (or Dan Green, who's worked on the TPCI dub himself) again.

I know he's said in interviews that he was very difficult to work with during the first movie (thinking of himself as a "serious" actor and such who'd be above doing a Pokemon movie), but it also seems like he's mellowed out enough and come to appreciate what that movie meant to old farts like us ("old" = 20/30somethings who grew up seeing the First Movie in theatres). And I love Dan Green but Goede was fantastic in what was otherwise a mediocre dub.

I'm also hoping the music is kept this time around, I'd rather it not be sullied with Goldfarb's pap. Like, if they had to replace it, at least go with the First Movie's soundtrack for nostalgic reasons (though hopefully utilized better, i.e. no Brother, My Brother during the battle scene), but the American viewers deserve to hear the movie with the score it was originally intended to be heard with. It'll still have a nostalgic punch to it since 4Kids had no problem keeping it during their run of the TV series, either.

I would like it if the DVD came with two audio tracks, one that had the Japanese music and one that had the 4Kid's music. Since that's incredibly unlikely however they'd be better of going with the Japanese score from the start. I mean it's not as though we don't have nostalgia for the tracks from the Japanese score since they were used frequently throughout late Indigo and the Orange Islands.

I personally loathe the 4Kids soundtrack that the first movie had, so I hope that TPCi will keep the original Japanese soundtrack for this movie instead of them creating their own or reusing 4Kids' travesty of a soundtrack.
Replacing great music with late 90s bubblegum pop is like replacing Simple and Clean with half-a-dozen Disney Channel stars' crappy music in Kingdom Hearts. People have a different taste today, so it's unlikely that the 4Kids soundtrack would be reused here. But if TPCi does replace the music, it would more likely be Goldfarb's score than songs performed by One Direction, Justin Bieber, Miley Cyrus, the Jonas Brothers, and/or anyone hot on the music agenda with kids or brainless 16-year-old girls.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom