• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

American Politics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My uncle isn’t from Germany. The nazis burned down my home county in Norway. A lot of Norwegians fled to Sweden.

And I still think it’s rude. If someone comes here because they want to, and are free to leave at any time, then yeah, they can go home if they don’t like it. You never know though. Someone coming here from Syria can’t go home. It’s dangerous. They may not like it here either because
  1. A lot of immigrants are treated poorly.
  2. It’s HARD to adjust to a whole new culture, especially when you hardly had any choice
  3. People aren’t always too welcoming

A lot of western countries do protect their culture (On Iceland they don’t even use loanwords), but there comes a point where you have to put human lives over your own pride.

Why do you think she's anti-American? And she's not going anywhere, she said so herself. The USA is her home

Right wing violence is still overwhelmingly more frequent that left wing violence. Trump has directly inspired multiple attacks not just in the US but around the world, such as the mail bomb scare that targeted democratic politicians.

And what black bloc are you referring to?

Really you see antifa out causing problems every weekend. They just don’t get arrested because they are posh white kids with rich parents for the most part.

She is anti-american from what I’ve seen and she’s not American if she’s not happy there she’s free to leave and if American government wishes for her to leave they are within her right to do so.

I think the rise in right-wing violence is mostly a response ro the black bloc types no? Not defending either they are both two sides of the same coin but to point out the rise in one side and not the other when an anti facist attacked a immigrant centre last weekend? With petrol bombs and I believe he was armed is strange.
Here’s a Homeland Security report that pegged right-wing extremism as an emerging threat back in 2009: https://fas.org/irp/eprint/rightwing.pdf
The reason we generally don’t talk about a rise in left-wing violence is because there hasn’t really been one. Right-wing extremists have been responsible for 74% of domestic terror attacks since 2007, compared to just 2% for left-wing extremists.

Really you see antifa out causing problems every weekend. They just don’t get arrested because they are posh white kids with rich parents for the most part.

Antifascist demonstrators do get arrested all the time. Also, they're not a solid group, anyone can be labeled "Antifa" as long as they're confronting Neo-Nazis.

She is anti-american from what I’ve seen and she’s not American if she’s not happy there she’s free to leave and if American government wishes for her to leave they are within her right to do so.

I don't know what you've seen, but I doubt it was anti-American. And Americans are allowed to be critical about life in the USA. Hell, Trump made his political career on being constantly unhappy about how things were going in America. Should we too have sent him back to Germany or Scotland?

I’d never tell them to just «go back home» if they told me they didn’t like my country. It’s not an insult to me.
It's incredibly rude to tell someone you don't like their country, even though it's the country currently giving you asylum.

It's like being someone's guest, and telling them you don't like their home.

I would definitely tell such a rude person to go back to their own country.

My uncle isn’t from Germany. The nazis burned down my home county in Norway. A lot of Norwegians fled to Sweden.

And I still think it’s rude. If someone comes here because they want to, and are free to leave at any time, then yeah, they can go home if they don’t like it. You never know though. Someone coming here from Syria can’t go home. It’s dangerous. They may not like it here either because
  1. A lot of immigrants are treated poorly.
  2. It’s HARD to adjust to a whole new culture, especially when you hardly had any choice
  3. People aren’t always too welcoming
A lot of western countries do protect their culture (On Iceland they don’t even use loanwords), but there comes a point where you have to put human lives over your own pride.

Actually Syrian’s want to go home and the German state just stopped one man from going home a few months ago.

It’s not that hard I’ve done it several times these people just don’t want they want to live like Somalis or Mexicans in America or Arabs or Pakistanis in the UK. Most countries would not tolerate this and we do so it’s far more welcoming than the rest of the world if we are honest. How many refugees did the Saudis take in a rich country with similar country took in none.

It’s not rude especially not when compared to say Asian countries there is a Korean population in Japan been there 200 years they are still Korean. Last year protest outside Korean embassy people (not all) want them out of Japan.

It is the indigenous people’s right to say who they do and don’t want in their country. Just because your born there or move their does not give you the right to stay certainly not outside of European countries.

Last edited:
It's incredibly rude to tell someone you don't like their country, even though it's the country currently giving you asylum.

It's like being someone's guest, and telling them you don't like their home. Disgusting.

It's like being someone's guest, and then the host empties a bucket of cow dung at you, and the moment you go "what the hell" you get thrown out for "not liking it".

It's like being someone's guest, and then the host empties a bucket of cow dung at you, and the moment you go "what the hell" you get thrown out for "not liking it".
Except that's not what's happening.

Last edited by a moderator:

It's like being someone's guest, and telling them you don't like their home. Disgusting.
But it’s not. You have to put yourself in their situation. Someone has to see their home burn down, family killed etc. then come to my country to adjust to cold ass weather, fish guts and racism? (Because yes, there will be racist remarks on the steets, I have witnessed a few). They don’t have to like it. I dislike several aspects of my country so why can’t immigrants? It’s never good to hold a country (or anything really) on a pedestal and shun anyone who dares crtitizise it, native or not.

Here’s a Homeland Security report that pegged right-wing extremism as an emerging threat back in 2009: https://fas.org/irp/eprint/rightwing.pdf
The reason we generally don’t talk about a rise in left-wing violence is because there hasn’t really been one. Right-wing extremists have been responsible for 74% of domestic terror attacks since 2007, compared to just 2% for left-wing extremists.

I would think this is slanted they don’t count all the antifa attacks etc as terrorism. An Asian journalist wss just hospitalised a few weeks ago for example. I think again this is being very selective with information just like the poster who posted some strange social science version of xenophobia.

Actually Syrian’s want to go home and the German state just stopped one man from going hkme a few months ago.

One man isn't representative of all Syrians.

It’s not rude especially not when compared to say Asian countries there is a Korean population in Japan been there 200 years they are still Korean. Last year protest outside Korean embassy people (not all) want them out of Japan.
And they are wrong. Koreans have a right to live in Japan

It is the indigenous people’s right to say who they do and don’t want in their country. Just because your born there or move their does not give you the right to stay certainly not outside of European countries.

No, it's not. This is how you get ethnic cleansings. When a population decides it has a "right" to rob other people of its rights. They absolutely have a right to remain if they were born there.

Except that's not happening.

Except that happened. Black people and Muslims have it much harder in America than those that are WASP.

But it’s not. You have to put yourself in their situation. Someone has to see their home burn down, family killed etc. then come to my country to adjust to cold ass weather, fish guts and racism? (Because yes, there will be racist remarks on the steets, I have witnessed a few). They don’t have to like it. I dislike several aspects of my country so why can’t immigrants? It’s never good to hold a country (or anything really) on a pedestal and shun anyone who dares crtitizise it, native or not.
You are not getting the point. It's not that immigrants aren't allowed to dislike a country they are forced to live in. What I am saying is, that it is rude and unacceptable to express this feeling when talking to the natives of the country.

Even if it's what you feel, don't say it, because it's rude and ungrateful.

Last edited:
Actually Syrian’s want to go home and the German state just stopped one man from going hkme a few months ago.

It’s not that hard I’ve done it several times these people just don’t want they want to live like Somalis or Mexicans in America or Arabs or Pakistanis in the UK. Most countries would not tolerate this and we do so it’s far more welcoming than the rest of the world if we are honest. How many refugees did the Saudis take in a rich country with similar country took in none.

So if it’s the indigenous peoples right, shouldn’t native americans be the only ones ACTUALLY able to tell people to leave the USA?

Your assumption is they get called name when you have no proof. Again if you don’t like the cold maybe don’t move to a cold country. Look at all the rapes etc and attacks by immigrants it got so bad in Scandinavia that they stoped taking note of the ethnicity. I guess it’s just them adjusting though...

No other countries are as welcoming as the West and we have our faces spat in constantly. I’m not right wing but I am sick of this narrative that we are all racist.

You are not getting the point. It's not that immigrants aren't allowed to dislike a country they are forced to live in. What I am saying is, that it is rude and unacceptable to express this feeling when talking to the natives of the country.

Even if it's what you feel, don't say it, because it's ride and ungrateful.

You can't even say what exactly she said that was so rude to justify Trump's racist attacks on her.

Your assumption is they get called name when you have no proof. Again if you don’t like the cold maybe don’t move to a cold country. Look at all the rapes etc and attacks by immigrants it got so bad in Scandinavia that they stoped taking note of the ethnicity. I guess it’s just them adjusting though...

You just said there's no proof of them being called names before accusing an entire ethnicity of rapes.

Rapes in Sweden haven't increased because of immigration.

The report also found that the rise in reported rapes between 2011 and 2017 was linked to incidents that did not involve the use of violence, committed by perpetrators known to the victim – which also make up the majority of sexual crimes. There was no rise in outdoor attacks by strangers in the same time period.

While this reveals very little about the identity or ethnicity of the attackers, it contradicts the theory floated by hard-right media that there are immigrant men wantonly attacking Swedish women.

The report could also not find a link between those municipalities in Sweden that took in the highest number of asylum seekers and those where the highest number of sexual offences was reported.

For Jerzy Sarnecki, a criminology professor at Stockholm University who audited the report, the Brå study was enough to put to rest the idea that the increase in rape cases is directly tied to the influx of refugees.

"We are not facing an occupation by Muslim men who rape our women," Sarnecki told Dagens Nyheter. "The report shows that the immigration influx has not affected the number of sexual offences."

Sarnecki instead concludes that changing attitudes toward what constitutes sexual assault are a driving factor behind the increase in reported incidents.

"It's clear that there is less tolerance for certain types of sexual offenses that may have not previously been reported," he said.

So if ir’s the indigenous peoples right, shouldnmt native americans be the only ones ACTUALLY able to tell people to leave the USA?

No because they didn’t found America. The United States of America was founded by European colonists. By your logic the Middle East should either be Christian or Jewish but Muslims won the rights to the land by conquest which is how things worked. I’d not tell Muslims it’s not their land they won it fair and square as did the colonists.

AOC is Latina.
Ilhan Omar and Rashida Tlaib are Arab.
Pressley is black.

So if we go by how most of the world works there not technically American. Say if you use the Japanese standard. So they have the right to stay but if they prefer some other culture they are free to go live there nothing racist about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom