• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh There are petitions about Gamefreak fixing the 'Galar Pokedex' thing

The people who are complaining and protesting should stop. Its very clear that Masuda and GF have no intention of listening on players and fans. Not to mention that there's a huge amount of selection of Pokemon from previous installments, and anyone who says that there's no Pokemon they like in there lying.

Here's a list of all Pokemon in Galar: Galar Region Pokédex - Pokémon Sword & Shield

I mean... given how other threads tend to go these days in the Sword and Shield section.... it wouldn't even be a surprise if at least one argument's gonna show up.

Anyhow, with all the controversy and mudslinging going on since the reveal... All that I can personally say about it is that Game Freak pretty much had it coming when they spilled out the news. They thought they could just slip away a mention on such an incredibly controversial design choice amidst a usual Nintendo Treehouse gameplay session... and the rest is history. Not helping matters is that their excuse that they wanted to give certain Pokemon 'Higher fidelity with higher quality animations' only added more fuel to the wildfire. Thanks to such a questionable excuse; various already-ticked off individuals were inspired to pretty much probe through all sorts of footage for pretty much all ported animations etc. just to prove them wrong. And with how various Nintendo Switch titles tended to hold a better graphical presentation, they really should know better than to play such a card.

Last edited:
My thoughts? I’m just standing in the sidelines, as I could care less about the Dex stuff.

I survived the transition from GSC to RSE and the limited rooster of Colosseum/XD and Gates to Infinity just fine, I can survive this with no problems.

Besides, the games look gorgeous, and as long as they have a good story, I’ll be happy. If all, XY proved that the Dex alone couldn’t salvage those games from being utterly forgettable, so I hope SwSh get a BW-like plot to “compensate”.

Same. I care more about the story than the dex. I don’t care that not every Pokémon is going to be in the game.

Like I have said in other threads, I think its good they did this due to the ever growing number of Pokémon.

I'm honestly more sick of the fighting over the issue than I am over the issue itself. I've seen people say some horrible things both to each other and to GameFreak over this, and I just don't think it's worth all that. That said, while I got over it quickly, I do understand the anger people are feeling. I don't transfer Pokemon often, but there was one time I transferred my main team to Y. If only certain team members had been allowed to come, I would have been pretty upset too. Not enough to not even buy the games or call people names, but I would be upset. And I'm sure if I actually had to worry about whether or not my favorites like Eevee would be in the game, I'd be concerned. So I understand that it is a major issue and that people have reason to be upset. I just hate the mess of horrible comments I've seen as a result.

Basically, I feel that it is a big deal and is something GameFreak might want to reconsider (especially since I reaally don't think they're happy about it either), but it's not the end of the world and doesn't overshadow the things I already love that I've seen in the games so far. I just wish we could stop biting each other's heads off over it. It's not worth all that.

I wouldn't mind it so much if the jump in quality were more substantial. Maybe if the Battles resembled that old PBR footage, or if the models were more refined and detailed like in Pokken...But things look the same as they did on 3DS. It's hard for me to believe that this is some necessary sacrifice.

Pokemon Home is another concern. I don't like that you'll now have to pay for a cloud service indefinitely...Unless it has something like a Battle simulator or other worthwhile features, then I'm not interested. Even then, I would still prefer to just keep all of my Pokemon on my actual game.

I'm fascinated by the current situation because it's the first time I'm experiencing such a large scale ruckus within the fandom. I'm obviously against harassing Game Freak employees or other fans and I'm definitely not on the "hate Game Freak" bandwagon, but I do believe some of the criticism they have received is perfectly valid.

As far as I'm concerned, I've been consistently disappointed with the games ever since XY due to various game design choices. While yes, I enjoyed the games overall, they still left me with a lingering feeling of disappointment because I can look at older gens and see that Game Freak can definitely do better. I'm not asking Game Freak to outdo themselves with each generation, but I consider the 3DS games to be below what the DS ones offered so I'd like the games to at least be on par with the DS era again. As such, I've decided to be more picky about which games I buy and the price increase certainly solidified my decision.

Is the Pokedex cut a deal breaker for me? It's hard to say right now since I don't know the full extent of the contents in SWSH. Even before the announcement of the cut, I can't say I was particularly impressed or hyped for the games. I'm not upset to the point of doing things like leaving the franchise forever; it's a game and I can get over it but this made me really concerned about the future.

I have a living Pokedex and all that, but frankly, I can live without it. All I care about is being able to transfer my past team Pokemon. They have great sentimental value and I use them all in the post-game along with the new Pokemon, so it's not like I just store them in boxes to use them as trophies. If we can't have all Pokemon in one game going forward, my choices are having them scattered among games or paying for Home...

Gamefreak put themselves in this position by shooting themselves in the foot three times
  1. Announcing that they are cutting the Dex at E3. This is one of the biggest events to show your games, why would you announce the worst part of the games there?
  2. There shitty way of dealing with the situation. You could of announced that the whole national Dex was coming back in Gen 9, or maybe the games next year, but no, they said nothing and now people have reason to believe that the whole Dex is not coming back.
  3. They then give the fanbase poor reasons for not including all of the national Dex. At this point, I wouldn't be mad in the least if they made at statement saying that they didn't want to. Because that's the truth.
They didn't want to hire more people. They didn't want to outsource to other companies. Instead, they thought that if they just made up a BS excuse, people would understand and go away. And that's frustrating because Game Freak is a multi-billion dollar company, and they can't even properly place attacks on pokemon ( the flamethrower coming out of Charizard's shoulder,instead of his mouth), they recycle animations (Hop's animation when he gets excited is literally the same as Hau's).

Disappointed, but I can understand it from somewhere, if the game actually looked really polished. The graphical style and animations are fine for me, I'm bothered with the low-res textures of ground/trees, the effect-less water-bodies and lack of foliage that make the world more 'alive' and breathing. The graphical bugs also bother me. I hope all of that will be fixed come release, as that is quite inexcusable.

Yes, inexcusable. They're a multi-billion company with years of experience. I can understand the lack of all 'mons, but we shouldn't accept the lack of polish in the graphical area.

Because GF has stated that animation-work was the reason for the Dex-cut. Which is odd, if the models and animations already exist.
Well that's not necessarily true. We didn't find walking and running animations in the code in X and Y, yet they showed up in Sun and Moon which are being used now. Since they didn't show till now I'd imagine they made these new animation during SM's development, meaning new animations can be worked on

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom