• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The earlier heated discussion is why I hate Rurina/Nessa’s design: why do women of colour always gotta have a super sexualised design, which serve only to perpetuate the fetishisation of real-life WOC? Lychee/Olivia has the same issue. This is what I liked about Iris’ design - she was fully clothed!
Grookey will most likely be the one leats used since it isn't as popular, especially if the rumors are true and it will evolve into a gorilla. Gorillas are not something that can be market towards young children.
Donkey Kong says hi.

The earlier heated discussion is why I hate Rurina/Nessa’s design: why do women of colour always gotta have a super sexualised design, which serve only to perpetuate the fetishisation of real-life WOC? Lychee/Olivia has the same issue. This is what I liked about Iris’ design - she was fully clothed!

Donkey Kong says hi.
It's Japan!

At the end of the Sun and Moon anime, Latias will take Ash and Pikachu (and possibly Rotom) to Galar in three final episodes since Galar is far away from Alola. Considering the weather in Galar, it going to be a long and stormy ride (the weather for Ash's journey will be hot at the start but will turn cold later on) in the waters between Alola and Galar (which could be difficult for Ash and Pikachu and possibly, Rotom). Hawaii and the UK are 6,980 miles away and 16 hours to fly between these regions. Team Rocket will follow Ash using a Sharpedo speedboat. Before these episodes, someone from Galar will tell that the flights between Galar and Alola are dangerous due to storms and as a result, a flights have to stop at another region before heading to Alola. The episodes will have a reference to the Doctor Who intros.

Last edited:

Honestly, I don't see how either Nessa or Olivia have super sexualised designs. I've heard that complaint for at least Nessa before, although I don't remember if that came up as often for Olivia when she was revealed, but I don't think that showing off skin automatically makes their designs more sexual. Nessa's outfit in particular isn't really that different from sport uniforms. She's showing some skin, but it isn't really out of the ordinary for some of other female characters with dark or lighter skin tones and it fits with her role as the Water Gym Leader.

Granted, there is an excellent chance that I don't see an issue because I'm not a WOC, so that is going to affect my perspective compared to other people. The fetishisation of real life WOC is definitely a huge issue unfortunately, so I can definitely understand why that would come up with Nessa's design too.

I wanna say corocoro September is when we'll get our first look at the Sword and Shield series. When we do, I wanna say they'll probably show us who Ash's companions will be.

That seems pretty likely. The Alola League will probably be over sometime in September. At this point, I just want to know who the companions are so we don't have to keep guessing for another month or two.

At the end of the Sun and Moon anime, Latias will take Ash and Pikachu to Galar while his mom will go back to Kanto in three final episodes since Galar is far away from Alola.
This is way too interesting for this show. :rolleyes: Also, his mom is already in Kanto.

At the end of the Sun and Moon anime, Latias will take Ash and Pikachu (and possibly Rotom) to Galar while his mom will go back to Kanto in three final episodes since Galar is far away from Alola. Considering the weather in Galar, it going to be a long and stormy ride (the weather for Ash's journey will be hot at the start but will turn cold at the later part) in the waters between Alola and Galar (which could be difficult for Ash and Pikachu and possibly, Rotom). Hawaii and the UK are 6,980 miles away and 16 hours to fly between these regions. Team Rocket will follow Ash using a Sharpedo speedboat. Before these episodes, someone from Galar will tell that the flights between Galar and Alola are dangerous due to storms and as a result, a flights have to stop at another region before heading to Alola. The episodes will have a reference to the Doctor Who intros.
Oh dream on.

They won't do this (seeing how Leon seems to be an individual champion). But I would love to see them take a different approach to gym battles and the league structure. Instead of the usually standard individual gym battles, every gym battle is a tag-team battle and you can't compete in the league without a partner. The new girl would be Ash's tag partner and I think it would have been a nice change from the standard Ash does gyms, while main girl does something girly.

It would also fit in quite well with the sporting theme of Sword and Shield IMO.

I agree that I’m not sure they would do it, but if they did and they handled it well it would probably be one of my favorite things this show had ever done.

The black women in Pokémon are not that sexualized. A lot of women and girls are.

As for the role of the female companion. Since Ash will focus on sports events, the girl will most likely have a goal that is the opposite. I think she will have a very similar goal as Serena had. Something that has to do with performance. Maybe a weird combination of performance and cheerleading, so that it kinda fits with the sports theme of the region.

I could imagine if Ash has 2 female companions.

This is way too interesting for this show. :rolleyes: Also, his mom is already in Kanto.
Ash, Pikachu and Rotom riding a Latios while Team Rocket trio uses a Sharpedo speedboat through the dangerous and stormy sea between hotter Alola and the cooler Galar will be interesting and badass as Ash, Pikachu, Rotom and the Team Rocket trio will feel really hot at first then gets extremely cold later in their journey.

Last edited:
Honestly, I don't see how either Nessa or Olivia have super sexualised designs. I've heard that complaint for at least Nessa before, although I don't remember if that came up as often for Olivia when she was revealed, but I don't think that showing off skin automatically makes their designs more sexual. Nessa's outfit in particular isn't really that different from sport uniforms. She's showing some skin, but it isn't really out of the ordinary for some of other female characters with dark or lighter skin tones and it fits with her role as the Water Gym Leader.

Granted, there is an excellent chance that I don't see an issue because I'm not a WOC, so that is going to affect my perspective compared to other people. The fetishisation of real life WOC is definitely a huge issue unfortunately, so I can definitely understand why that would come up with Nessa's design too.
I don’t think Nessa’s design is as bad as Olivia’s (there is simply no justifying that outfit), but she is wearing far less than most women would wear in most settings (especially in the UK where it’s mostly cold most of the year). It is certainly possible to design a sporty and unique looking ensemble that is not so easy to sexualise.

I guess I am more sensitive to the fetishisation of women of colour because I am one, but objectively speaking perhaps the issue is less that but more simply a tendency for this franchise and its fans to sexualise ALL female characters.

Maybe the designer wanted to Olivia look more like an African tribal woman. I mean she wears a lot of rings on her body.

What’s not to love about a nice racist stereotype! From Rougela/Jynx till the most recent blackface scandal, Pokemon has always taken such a nuanced and sensitive approach to black people after all.

I don’t think Nessa’s design is as bad as Olivia’s (there is simply no justifying that outfit), but she is wearing far less than most women would wear in most settings (especially in the UK where it’s mostly cold most of the year). It is certainly possible to design a sporty and unique looking ensemble that is not so easy to sexualise.

Considering that Misty's original outfit was a bikini, I don't think that Nessa is showing off too much skin. Most female designs in this franchise are pretty easy to sexualize unfortunately, so that might have happened regardless of her outfit.

ii kanji said:
I guess I am more sensitive to the fetishisation of women of colour because I am one, but objectively speaking perhaps the issue is less that but more simply a tendency for this franchise and its fans to sexualise ALL female characters.

That's completely understandable. The fetishisation of WOC is a huge issue and I can definitely understand being sensitive to it. The depiction of black characters is a rather sensitive topic in itself too. I'm not a WOC, so that is going to affect my perspective on topics such as this one. That is a big reason why I don't want to dismiss yours or anyone else's feelings on Nessa's design, along with just not wanting to do that with people in general. The issue might be a bit of both, especially when fans definitely tend to sexualize the female characters more often than not.

Considering that Misty's original outfit was a bikini, I don't think that Nessa is showing off too much skin. Most female designs in this franchise are pretty easy to sexualize unfortunately, so that might have happened regardless of her outfit.

Same could be said for any character that's not wearing casual clothing. I mean when is the last time you see someone sexulising a woman who's in a burka? But even with that, our sick and twisted minds will find a way.

Anyway, I do not see skin color in a character, I see character and personality that gives them life in the first place.

I mean, I guess Nessa getting a redesign in the anime that would give her more clothing isn't completely out of the question, although that still leaves her hair which has a lot of intricate details. I wonder if they'd be willing to change it up a bit and make it all one tone so that it's just dark indigo without the highlights.

There's 11 episodes of Sun and Moon to go since there's a 3 week gap between the series of Sun and Moon and Sword and Shield. The Finals will probably be in Episode 136-7. After that will be a Team Skull arc, Gladion and Lillie finally finding their father and the graduation for the finale.

By the looks of the merchandising for SwSh in November, it seems as if the company is wanting to make it all the more self-containing and less of an Easter egg hunt since XY.

Although we won't know until we come to that bridge.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom