• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Super Smash Bros Ultimate

I can believe it. A lot of western fans have been clamoring for Banjo-Kazooie in Smash for years, so I believe it could lead to servers being slower than normal because of it. The Joker server crash situation was also cause there was a server maintenance scheduled the same evening, so hopefully when both DQ Heroes and Banjo-Kazooie release, there won't be a maintenance at the same time.
In fact, I bet Hero's release will go smoothly since a lot of people don't play DQ outside of Japan, and therefore have little interest.

What kind of Banjo Kazooie content is expected? Personally I want Mumbo, Humba, Jamjars, Gruntilda, her 3 sisters, some of Banjo's transformations and maybe Klungo for spirits.

Well, I guess I'm the only one here that prefers Hero to Banjo.

My guesses for Dragon Quest spirits.

-The rest of the MCs. Don't know what they are going to do with IX or X, though.
-Slime
-Alena (DQIV)
-Torneko (DQIV)
-Bianca (DQV)
-Carver (DQVI)
-Yangus (DQVIII)

That's all for now.

My guesses for Dragon Quest spirits.

-The rest of the MCs. Don't know what they are going to do with IX or X, though.
-Slime
-Alena (DQIV)
-Torneko (DQIV)
-Bianca (DQV)
-Carver (DQVI)
-Yangus (DQVIII)

That's all for now.
I'll get Hero regardless thanks to the Fighter Pass.

Also, for Gruntilda's Spirit, I'm betting either a green Bayonetta (witch) or a green Wario (fat and gross) will be the host.

Nah I prefer Hero as well, and I haven't even played most of the DQ games or know the lore extensively lol. Definitely gonna use The Luminary from XI the most out of the alts though.

Banjo-Kazooie being in is cool too though, but I wasn't really too hyped for their inclusion tbh.

Sakurai is doing a 22 minute video presentation about the Hero in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate on Tuesday at 6 AM PT.

That's what his SSBU page says on the Smash Wiki. It says he's still a solid character with a low learning curve but not nearly as overpowered as he was in SSB4.

Seems the DLC characters from SSB4 were nerfed and are worse in SSBU except for Roy.

Light wife vs. Dark wife.

EApAHYNUcAEe1uY

"You are using the latest version of this software."

Said that for like 5 min. until it now decided to update to 4.0. Now hopefully no surprise server crashes while it's updating and when I get Hero. Not gonna get any of the Mii costumes though, don't care that much for the series.

Edit: Finally got Hero, eShop was down for a few minutes and I couldn't buy them right away cause of a dumb error code. But now they are in my game, also we got 7 DQ spirits: Slime (1 star), Dracky (1 star), Golem (2 stars), Liquid Metal Slime (2 stars), Great Sabrecub (1 star), Cetacea (3 stars), Hero's Comrades from DQ XI (4 stars). Haven't bothered to get them yet, maybe tonight.

Also 8 tracks: Adventure - DQ III, Fighting Spirits - DQ III, Battle for the Glory - DQ IV, Wagon Wheel's March - DQ IV, War Cry - DQ VIII, Marching through the Fields - DQ VIII, The Hero Goes Forth with a Determination - DQ XI S, and Unflinchable Courage - DQ XI S.

Patch notes here and fighter adjustments here.

Last edited:
Gotta say that even though I have played most games in the series, I have no idea which songs are those. Then again, unremarkable music is one of the problems I have with the series. I'm also kinda sad that they didn't use music from IX seeing how much time I spent in that game.

I'm surprised that they didn't add anyone from the older DQs.

Can I just say that the Hero is my least-favorite DLC fighter currently? Because I never played any of the DQ games, I don't know even HALF of the spells in the magic menu. Plus, the Hero would have to stand still while selecting a spell, meaning unless you've got the ability to not confuse "Bounce" for a jumping-type move (literally what I thought before I learned that it's a projectile-reflecting spell), you're a sitting duck for other fighters to take advantage of.

Maybe that's the downside of being a casual who's only played Pokémon, Mario & Luigi and Kingdom Hearts as RPGs.

Can I just say that the Hero is my least-favorite DLC fighter currently? Because I never played any of the DQ games, I don't know even HALF of the spells in the magic menu. Plus, the Hero would have to stand still while selecting a spell, meaning unless you've got the ability to not confuse "Bounce" for a jumping-type move (literally what I thought before I learned that it's a projectile-reflecting spell), you're a sitting duck for other fighters to take advantage of.

Maybe that's the downside of being a casual who's only played Pokémon, Mario & Luigi and Kingdom Hearts as RPGs.
Well, DQ is not exactly hardcore either, considering it's a pretty basic RPG, but I guess that can be kinda forgiven since it was the first JRPG if I recall correctly. However, reading the spell list I see that it is pretty big, and possibly the system was not well thought out (thanks Ninty for screwing that up).

Here's the spell list:

Oomph - Boosts the damage that Hero deals and receives.
Snooze - A projectile that puts opponents to sleep.
Bounce - It's like Fox's Reflector.
Flame Slash - A fire attack that deals considerable damage and knockback.
Kacrakle Slash - An ice attack that can freeze the opponent).
Kaclang - Turns the user into metal.
Zoom - This is the spell that you needed to use. It makes you fly upward and then drops in the center of the stage.
Kamikazee - Avoid this at all costs.
Sizz - A fire projectile.
Sizzle - A stronger fire projectile.
Psyche up - Increases the knockback of your moves and only a little bit the attack.
Heal - Exactly what it says on the tin. Disappears if you abuse it.
Acceleratle - Makes you faster and lighter.
Bang - Sends a projectile with decent knockback.
Kaboom - A projectile that explodes after a certain distant. It has high knockback.
Hatchet Man - Delivers a critical hit.
Whack - Has the possibility of doing a OHKO. The probabilities increase the more damage the opponent has.
Thwack - Like whack, but with better range.
Metal Slash - A move that OHKOs metal opponents.
Hocus Pocus - Think Metronome from Pokémon.
Magic Burst - Consumes all your MP to make a blast that hits multiple times and is active for a few seconds. Its strength depends on how much MP remains.

So Hero has a cool kit, especially when used for casual play and just general craziness, but as competitive eh.. it's a little too ridiculous. Especially when navigating the spell menu slows him down, so any competent player isn't gonna let you stand there for a few seconds. Also what is with his stupid RNG critical hits? Just why? It should be consistent, not up to chance at any percent damage.

That being said I don't agree with some people saying he should be banned. I guess we'll see how many decide to use him in competitive play and how players will work with and around it. My only major issue is the damn RNG crits as mentioned, it's pretty concerning.

Also what is with his stupid RNG critical hits? Just why? It should be consistent, not up to chance at any percent damage.

My only major issue is the damn RNG crits as mentioned, it's pretty concerning.

I'm not an expert or anything, but what about things like Mr. Game and Watch's Judge special or Peach's turnips and in Brawl, Olimar's pikmin plucking. Also Pokeballs and Assist Trophies.

I'm not an expert or anything, but what about things like Mr. Game and Watch's Judge special or Peach's turnips and in Brawl, Olimar's pikmin plucking. Also Pokeballs and Assist Trophies.
The problem with Hero is that the RNG does stack itself in his favor, he gets way more crit kill moves compared to the characters you listed. It's why I mentioned it's a little too ridiculous in competitive play.

And most competitive tourney's, save for the rare occasion, don't have items on anyway.

Back
Top Bottom