• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Villain Team Speculation

The evil team from the leak is called Team Yell, and that they're well meaning fans of something. Kinda a let down for me, feel like the evil team should be a reference to british history, like an evil empire or something.
The thing about poking at history and making a "villain team" from it is that history isn't black and white, so they'd be more likely to peeve someone off by basing it on a "villain" from Britain's past. Plus aside from architecture, the rest of the game seems very modern times, so tossing in something old and historical and making it a major part of the plot would have a grossly contrasting tone.

Here's my theory on how the Villainous team dynamics will work in sword and Shield:

The football hooligans: team yell (or spector, as I like to call them as I hate the name team yell), are not fans of your second, female rival (the leak calls her Marnie but my theory calls her Ciara), but are a subculture of disenfranchised and angry trainers that are upset at galar's pokemon league, due to the use of dynamaxing (due to it's connection to Eternatus, or Mortigern, as my theory calls the dark legendary), the corruption and nepotism involving the sponsors, and other things. They're "led " (figureheaded) by Marnie/Ciara's childhood friend: Robert, who'se had a messy life and seeks to get back at her, since he blames her for the downward spiral his life has taken. He's assisted by his admins Morgan (a fay woman who knows much more than she is letting on) and Bean (a deranged kid who enjoys insulting and bullying his opponents. He's very empathetic towards pokemon, however), and a few other cell leaders. Thing is, Robert has very little control over team yell/spector's actions. this is intentional by his admins, as they are members of:

The gunpowder-plot like conspiracy: The armigers of sorrow are the real villains of the games, and are left untelegraphed by the trailers with one exception. A secret cabal of powerful trainers who despise the excess politicking that plagues Galar's pokemon league, and believe in an ideology of darwinism through friendship, beliveving that pokemon battles and a person's ability to bond is the measure of their worth. Whilst team yell/spector despises the dynamax power, the armigers have researched it enough to produce a corrupted knockoff, colored sickly green and white from being powered by positive rather than negative emotions. To hide their identities when operating, they wear outfits resembing medieval rogues/cultists, featuring prominent iron masks and brooched cloaks (each of the leaders wears a customized corruption of the fuller brooch). They are:

Carwennan the dagger: Morgan's codename. Her mask depicts a cross-hilted dagger and her brooch represents a deafness.

Beangoth the Seax: Bean (who else's) codename. His mask depicts a seax and his brooch represents a lack of taste.

Morglay, the sword: The armiger identity of the recurring gandalf-like stealth mentor Norene, who is revealed by the trailer. A mysterious older girl who has a connection to Zacian and Zamazenta, Norene is revealed to have once been a member of an order of undead clergy who carry out the will of Eternatus/Mortigern, whom she has betrayed after their plans to encourage the people of Galar to come to terms with their darkness failed once again. She originally developed the dynamax phenomenon from infusing Z crystals with Eternatus/Mortigern's power, and was thus able to produce the corrupted variant of it by crossing it with the powers of eternatus/mortigern's nemesis Taraniel. She's responsible for betraying robert to the authorities and tricking hop into gigantamaxing his starter without having mastered his darkness, thus resulting in hop's catatonic state during the middle of the game. She also incapacitated Marnie/Ciara by trapping her in the otherworld, forcing the player to rescue them and hop's soul during the imaran (the journey to the otherworld). She is the seminfinal boss of the game. Her mask depicts an oakeshott type X norman sword (she is the pokemon equivalent of a norman) and her brooch represents numbness (a lack of touch).

Pridwn the shield: The second in command of the armigers, Kris (yes, that one) is a stubborn, harsh girl who sees to insulating the Armigers from outside interference. She makes little appearances beyond cameos as security protecting broadcasters from team yell/spector, which she uses to hide the armigers to the public eye. Her brooch represents a lack of sight, and the mask depicts a square japanese shield.

Rhongomyiant the lance: Radley is a trainer not unlike many pokemon protagonists, who moved to galar and became its champion, only to get bored with beating literally everybody and has left to walk the pokemon world, emolga by his side. In the time since, Leon has replaced him. Radeley knows Leon's scheming, incompetent nature, and has concocted a scheme to utterly destroy the public reputation of Galar's pokemon league. To that end, he began to lend his battling expertise to what would become team yell/spector's cells, and created the armigers of sorrow with like-minded trainers. Radley is the final boss, and is simply so powerful the player needs to utilize the power of the original dynamax crystal (risking being trapped in the otherworld forever as a blood price) and dynamax/gigantamax all their pokemon just to stand an even chance against him. After the battle ends, Radley is defeated and is apprehended, though this comes at great cost as the player has sacrificed their body to utilize the crystal's power and is drawn into the otherworld.

It's a long, complicated theory, but Pokemon's stories have been getting more complicated over time and these games have been promised to have the most engaging story yet, I still have faith that at least parts of the theory are true.

My theories tend to get like this. I'm simply obsessive about them. That being said, do you personally like the theories, and do you think they are likely?

Hmmm, in this case would Marnie count as the team boss? Or you think Yell has a fanclub head? It'd be funny if the boss was actually Marnie's father and he's extremely doting.

They think she's pretty and talented. Something like that is described on the site.

So...fanboys/girls who are taking things a bit far?
And I thought Game Freak couldn't go any lower after Team Skull...
The villain teams have officially(?) hit rock bottom ladies and gentlemen.

Team Yell look hilarious. I wonder if they're going to amount to more than just Marnie stans. Since there's such a huge focus on the gym challenge and league this time around, it would be reasonable if their only focus was on helping Marnie get the championship title. But we'll have to wait and see.

They did seem to say that they "appear" I'm wondering whether they are staged to help push Marnie forward.

There's no doubt they're being controlled by someone. Whether that's the league or the armigers remains to be seen. Also, I didn't expect Marnie to have the grizzled, jaded veteran look she has. It'll provide an interesting contrast to Hop, and maybe give her a few points in common with Norene (who is her distant ancestor)

There's just something....off about Bede too. That look in his eye, it's deranged. He has some kind of connection to team Yell as well, just in its design. Maybe he's Marnie's bitter ex-childhood friend like I theorized, having formed team yell as an attempt to spite her.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom