• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Villain Team Speculation

I'm noticing that Team Yell is just now generating very hazardous memes, and from both sides of the fanbase for and against Gamefreak. Each side is starting to portray each other of acting like this evil fandom - and I sense that whatever intentions Game Freak had of making this team, it could end up polarizing the fanbases even more... Rather grim, if you ask me.

I'm noticing that Team Yell is just now generating very hazardous memes, and from both sides of the fanbase for and against Gamefreak. Each side is starting to portray each other of acting like this evil fandom - and I sense that whatever intentions Game Freak had of making this team, it could end up polarizing the fanbases even more... Rather grim, if you ask me.
I think it's a case of people changing the original meaning of something. Both sides take it as if they were talking about the other, even though they were based on toxic sports fans.

I wonder why Team Yell likes marnie so much. There's gonna be some touching story behind it I can tell.
Hmmm, in this case would Marnie count as the team boss? Or you think Yell has a fanclub head? It'd be funny if the boss was actually Marnie's father and he's extremely doting.
@Knightwolf09 You just gave me an idea: what if the reason Team Yell is backing Marnie is because she found out about the corrupt league and everyone at Team Yell thinks Marnie has the best chance at "fixing" Galar's Pokémon League?

First, let's look at the official Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield website's descriptions of Marnie and Team Yell. First, We'll start with Team Yell.

Team Yell's Character Bio said:
They want nothing more than for Marnie to become Champion, and they all try to obstruct other challengers in all sorts of ways. They will take over hotel lobbies, prevent other challengers from accessing transportation, and even shout and distract opponents during battle. Whenever Marnie battles, it seems these Team Yell Grunts are quick to appear, showing their support with Marnie-print towels and also horns.

The first instance I bolded is important: why do they want Marnie specifically to become Galar's champion, let alone get passionate enough to do what they do for her in the first place? They don't really seem evil at all if the caption about Marnie being able to get them to stop certain instances of trouble-making is any indication.

Again, this makes me question why they do these things in the first place and what they see in her.

Now, let's turn our attention to Marnie's description.

Marnie's Character Bio said:
Marnie is one of your rivals who has a competitive side. Together with her partner Morpeko, she aims to become the Champion of the Galar region in order to accomplish a certain goal. She has many passionate fans, thanks to her sense of style and calm, calculated battle strategies.

Now, what exactly is this goal of Marnie's anyways? It could be about charity donations or something not really related to the plot, but I find it more likely that this goal of hers is the very reason why Team Yell backs her up in the first place. Given how they're well-intentioned and the fact that Marnie doesn't seem malicious, I think it's possible that Marnie and Team Yell caught on to the Pokémon League's corruption, leading to Marnie having a secretive reason for becoming champion while also explaining why Team Yell is going to such extremes to keep Marnie on top (as she's the only person they trust to reform the Galar Pokémon League).

Not only would this avoid having Team Yell being a complete retread of Team Skull (being hired by someone to make Marnie look bad is too much like how Lusamine used Team Skull), but this would technically give us a genuine vigilante team! Team Plasma came close to this, but they were manipulated by the Seven Sages (mainly Ghetsis) from the get-go so that kind of negates their status under the well-intentioned umbrella.

They could possibly murder the teenage girl not just distract trainers (remember the incident about Bjork).
I’m going to go out on a limb here and suggest that no one will be murdered in Sword and Shield. Just a hunch.

Eh, that’s not saying much. This is the same fandom that was polarized by an ugly tree. At this point I don’t really think things will escalate much.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom