• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Galar Regional Variants aka Galarian Forms

Do You think We'll see Galar Regional Varients of Past Pokemon and would you want them

• Total voters
If you like the old pokemon and like the new evo, great! If you like the old pokemon but don't like the new evo, your old fave is still untouched!
I am not sure how this approach is supposed to satisfy people who wanted their favorite Pokemon (not a variant) to get a good evolution. When I look at Obstagoon I barely think of the original Linoone, and when I do, I realize that it will certainly never evolve. That's okay in this case seeing as it's a regional rodent and those have never been given much respect, but I shudder to think about poor Farfetch'd which was so close to evolving once.

You know, there was that Klinklang-like gear structure in the industrial city in the first trailer.

Incidentally, if they're going to reference the industrial revolution, I think a Bug/Dark Volcarona variant would be fitting.

Didn't also appear out of know where in Unova and the Prof was trying to investigate how/why?

That's correct. She concluded that it first appeared in Unova 100 years ago.

So... this has likely been asked before, but I need to address the Donphan in the room...

Why Poison/Fairy? What's the concept here? Not complaining, I like the form quite a bit, legit curious.

So... this has likely been asked before, but I need to address the Donphan in the room...

Why Poison/Fairy? What's the concept here? Not complaining, I like the form quite a bit, legit curious.
I think it’s because of the purification aspects noted in its description. It purifies air and releases it from the smokestacks on its head. Maybe we’ll get more lore on it down the line.

Well, it's beneficial for nature with the way that it cleans up air pollution. Grass is really the only other such emphatically nature-attuned type, and that wouldn't make much sense.

Aside from that, maybe it's just me but the formal, debonair look on something that's supposedly a natural creature kind of gives me a mystical/fae feeling? Like, if I was walking through the forest and suddenly saw a dapper gentleman in a big stovepipe hat, it would seem out-of-place but at the same time, kinda... not? If this fellow invited you to follow him and then led you into a faerie world, would you be all that surprised?

Well, it's beneficial for nature with the way that it cleans up air pollution. Grass is really the only other such emphatically nature-attuned type, and that wouldn't make much sense.

Aside from that, maybe it's just me but the formal, debonair look on something that's supposedly a natural creature kind of gives me a mystical/fae feeling? Like, if I was walking through the forest and suddenly saw a dapper gentleman in a big stovepipe hat, it would seem out-of-place but at the same time, kinda... not? If this fellow invited you to follow him and then led you into a faerie world, would you be all that surprised?
I just realized it kind of reminds me of the mad hatter from Alice in Wonderland. That’s kind of why I also associate the top hat and beard thing with magic.

Anyone notice that so far, Galarian forms are only 50% different by elements?

Since Weezing can go from Poison to Poison/Fairy, guess that gets my hope up that Galarian Sudowoodo can be Rock/Grass and get an evo.

I wasn't a Linoone fan, and as far as Obstagoon, well Dark/Normal is a horrible element combination to begin with.

And if Meowth can get another regional variant,

Hoping for a Grass/Ghost Exeggutor, with skull-heads instead of coconut-faces.

Or even a pure-Fire redder Chandelure with Levitate ability.

I think it’s because of the purification aspects noted in its description. It purifies air and releases it from the smokestacks on its head. Maybe we’ll get more lore on it down the line.

I like these/& above explanations, I suppose Weezing is a "modern" fae which evolved as a response to industrial pollution. In any case, at least it isn't the cute style fairy Game Freak is usually fond of, but one with environmental lore like Xerneas.

Digging the new Zigzagoon line and the final third stage is going to be in my party. Not sure how I feel about Galaran Weezing but the typing (poison/fairy) seems interesting from a move pool and competitiveness standpoint

Both are good. Immunities are great here.
Also both are weak to their own oryginal forms when taking movesets.

The Elekid line would make a fantastic ice/electric snowman.

The Magby line would be great fire/steel

I do think it's odd that the SwoShi site doesn't say what caused Weezing to change its form. Maybe that's part of Koffing's bio? Zigzagoon dodged the issue by just retconning the original Zigzagoon into being the deviated one. But for all of Alola's regional variants, their bios in the Sun & Moon site elaborated on why those changes in their biology occurred:

Exeggutor - Alola's intense sunlight was a boon
Vulpix and Sandshrew - Other Pokémon/an eruption forced them to vacate their normal habitat and move closer to Mount Lanakila
Marowak - The threat posed by the numerous Grass-types in Alola forced it to learn how to manipulate fire in order to defend itself, and the loss of territory meant that these Marowak lived closer together to defend their young and formed tighter communities and bonds, awakening a "sixth sense"
Rattata - Went nocturnal in order to avoid Yungoos
Grimer - Population increases in Alola resulted in greater trash output, so Grimer were imported to deal with it, and the change in diet from factory sludge to everyday garbage altered how they store toxins, though this also made them more insatiable
Meowth - Imported by the king's family, who pampered them until the kingdom fell, which let the Meowth run loose
Diglett - Reference to Pele's hair; they grew sensitive whiskers to help them navigate and survive in volcanic areas (presumably the iron content in the soil is why their whiskers are metallic)
Raichu - Pancakes lol
Geodude - This one actually wasn't revealed prior to release so it doesn't have a detailed biography on the site, but I would assume that was brought in to help dig out the underground steam vents on Ula'ula for the power plant, and acquired electromagnetic properties as a result of the power generated

I do think it's odd that the SwoShi site doesn't say what caused Weezing to change its form. Maybe that's part of Koffing's bio? Zigzagoon dodged the issue by just retconning the original Zigzagoon into being the deviated one. But for all of Alola's regional variants, their bios in the Sun & Moon site elaborated on why those changes in their biology occurred:

Exeggutor - Alola's intense sunlight was a boon
Vulpix and Sandshrew - Other Pokémon/an eruption forced them to vacate their normal habitat and move closer to Mount Lanakila
Marowak - The threat posed by the numerous Grass-types in Alola forced it to learn how to manipulate fire in order to defend itself, and the loss of territory meant that these Marowak lived closer together to defend their young and formed tighter communities and bonds, awakening a "sixth sense"
Rattata - Went nocturnal in order to avoid Yungoos
Grimer - Population increases in Alola resulted in greater trash output, so Grimer were imported to deal with it, and the change in diet from factory sludge to everyday garbage altered how they store toxins, though this also made them more insatiable
Meowth - Imported by the king's family, who pampered them until the kingdom fell, which let the Meowth run loose
Diglett - Reference to Pele's hair; they grew sensitive whiskers to help them navigate and survive in volcanic areas (presumably the iron content in the soil is why their whiskers are metallic)
Raichu - Pancakes lol
Geodude - This one actually wasn't revealed prior to release so it doesn't have a detailed biography on the site, but I would assume that was brought in to help dig out the underground steam vents on Ula'ula for the power plant, and acquired electromagnetic properties as a result of the power generated
IDK, Maybe it's too spoilery at this point to reveal; as It might give away things about OTHER pokemon we're not even supposed to know about yet. . .

It's a valid worry though, since there was no guarantee we were even getting them this generation. Not to mention Game Freak's fondness of removing past features. One thing that makes me believe they are safer than the other features, is that it allows Game Freak to develop variants for specific Pokemon without worry for carrying them to another game.

Of course, Let's Go had the Alolan variants, so it may be possible that Galarian variants appear in key locations or a future game's Safari Zone.

I don't want to sound nitpicky...I'm happy about regional variants in new in-game regions but again, I've yet to see again the concept of real world differences, like Vivillion proposed, THAT would boost international trade between players and allow for the paired games to have a taste of real world exclusives.
I honestly think that regional variants were way late (just go watch the anime's Orange arc episode where there are some different coloured Pkmn) and they should indeed stay.

Last but not least, people are getting excited for the regional variants not being Kanto exclusive...let's just hope that GF doesn't troll us with Zigazgoon being the only Hoeen one and all others being Kantonian Pkmn. :rolleyes:

I like these/& above explanations, I suppose Weezing is a "modern" fae which evolved as a response to industrial pollution. In any case, at least it isn't the cute style fairy Game Freak is usually fond of, but one with environmental lore like Xerneas.
Well, I also like to think that the fairy (assuming good) side, Lord appearence and transforming pollution into clean air might also have to do with how certain rich people tried to create charity events to help the children and women during the Industrial Revolution.

This image was found on the screen shot of the poke jobs. It is a logo for one of the jobs/companies. Some people are thinking this may be a Galarian Klink/Klang/Klinklang.

View: https://twitter.com/LeaksPokemon/status/1159197949265698816

looks like team yell wears the same logo.

I'm not a huge fan of Galarian Weezing, though admittedly, I'm not really a huge fan of Weezing in general, so nothing really terribly surprising there.

Galarian Zigzagoon looks like a cutie still though. Linoone and Obstagoon went downhill though, but at least they're fitting for their new typing.

Looking forward to seeing more of the Galarian variants. I'm also hoping that there's gonna be more Hoenn Pokemon with Galarian variants instead of just Kanto, like in gen 7.

I took one look at Galarian Weezing and I fell in love instantly. It's just so delightfully goofy. If it had a monocle it would be perfect. I was never a fan of Koffing and Weezing but this new variant pleases me immensely.

Galarian zigzagoon and it's evos are pretty okay I guess. Interesting that it gets an additional evolution, not something we saw with Alohan forms....Also interesting that it's not a Gen 1 pokemon.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom