• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Rival Speculation

I can’t say I understand how you get researching nerd vibes from Marnie. She’s definitely all punk-goth to me. Besides, we already know that Sonia is going to be the one doing all the research.

Marnie's competitive aims would need her to do some research on Pokémon's stats and movesets and skills, so she might be a nerd all-along, like Cassius, Sophocles and Molayne.

I think Bede is well designed. I like his smug expressions and I like how he's pulling off the purple coat.

Marnie is actually pretty cool, and Bede is a blonde British asshole...

Oh thank you Arceus, for answering my prayers for better better rivals, meaner ones... one that is indirectly mean due her fanbase and the other that may be the biggest ass since Silver & Blue. This latest trailer doing its best to salvage Gen 8 for me, keep going.

There's also something you missed in Bede's dialogue, and that's the term of League Leader and Rose has chosen him to be one.

Supposedly the position is better/stronger than the Champion? Could (likely) be bluff, less they are actually introducing a rank higher than Champion. That dialogue contradicts what we know about Leon being the strongest, but most suspect that is dubious any-who.

Most likely the league itself will be akin to last gen's Aether Foundation. Bede for whatever reason serves the interest of Chairmen Rose. I view him like the N to Plasma's Ghetsis, or the Nascour to Colosseum's Evice.

There's also something you missed in Bede's dialogue, and that's the term of League Leader and Rose has chosen him to be one.
I wonder if he didn’t translate perfectly those words.
Given that the ‘League Leader’ is a reference to Rose, most likely, those phrases could simply mean that Rose is better then Leon, and since Bede was endorsed by Rose (saw the official site stated) and the player by Leon, Bede is stronger then the player (according to him).

I wonder if he didn’t translate perfectly those words.
Given that the ‘League Leader’ is a reference to Rose, most likely, those phrases could simply mean that Rose is better then Leon, and since Bede was endorsed by Rose (saw the official site stated) and the player by Leon, Bede is stronger then the player (according to him).
Which that make Bede sound dumb, cause we the player were also endorsed by Rose, so that kinda puts us at equal status

That comment I made in the SwSh main thread (when it wasn't locked) is getting truer and truer:

Hey all I just realised something: all the past villains have a colour motif

• Red: Maxie
  • Orange : Lysandre
  • Yellow (hair): Lusamine
  • Green (hair): Ghetsis/N
  • Blue (hair): Cyrus
  • Indigo: Archie
And then there is Black (Giovanni), White (Guzma, hair) and Grey (Colress, , clothes). The only one we're missing is purple. They even formed a rainbow team together. Coincidence? Well I have been awake for 22 hours, so maybe, but just in case I'm right I'm betting right now that the next evil team leader has purple hair and or clothes (pink, magenta and similar shades are acceptable too).

If they decide to use them.
They have to at least use Marnie because of Team Yell. Otherwise, the Anime writers have to come up with a whole new redesign for them or even an Anime-exclusive villain team.

Which that make Bede sound dumb, cause we the player were also endorsed by Rose, so that kinda puts us at equal status
Where was it said that we were endorsed by Rose?
As far as I know, Hop and the MC are endorsed by Leon. Leon was previously endorsed by Rose, which also endorsed Bede now.

I don’t recall it was mentioned Rose endorsed us as well, in that case, my previous post is likely wrong, but it seems really weird that there’ll be someone stronger/higher ranked then the Champion, unless is the Charman which is the leader of the League.

I don't care for Marnie since she looks emo/goth as heck and I hate 'edgy' characters like her plus she reminds me of Marley. But omg, Bede is adorable. I think he's my favorite character from ShSw so far and I can't wait to see how his character will turn out.

Last edited:
I don't care for Marnie since she looks emo/goth as heck and I hate 'edgy' characters like her plus she reminds me of Marley. But omg, Bede is adorable. I think he's my favorite character from ShSw so far and I can't wait to see how his character will turn out.

BTQK6Db.png

I wouldn’t say Bede looks or acts ‘adorable’ based on the translation of the Japanese dialogue tweeted a few hours ago, but to each their own.

He seems elitist and arrogant, but we’ll see how they developed him in the story.

I got it - Bede is secretly a wooloo. Just look at that hair.

All jokes aside I love them both. Bede looks so unique and Marnie looks cool. I like their names too.
I do like that they appear to develop the rivals in a different way, and not necessarily be friendly towards the MC.

I do wonder if the trio we saw so far will be the full rival roster. I think the other trainers in the Champion Cup will be detailed as well and not random class trainers, but they might not be ‘rivals’ as those three.

Back
Top Bottom