• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Scorbunny will be the gag starter, who can't stop running when he starts, which makes for a fun mechanic in battle.

Scorbunny definitely looks like the most energetic of the three Galar starters judging by its artwork, so I'm also thinking that it'll be a gag Pokemon regardless of who gets it. Sobble seems to be the most popular Galar starter right now, but I think that could change once we see the evolved forms of all three starters.

Being energetic does not mean that it will be the gag starter. Just look at Rowlet, who is anything but energetic.

I think Scorbunny will be the gag starter, who can't stop running when he starts, which makes for a fun mechanic in battle.
If they treat it like how Cyndaquil often struggled to use Fire moves because he wasn't warmed up enough, it wouldn't be too bad. The official site says that Scorbunny often have to increase their heart rate to unlock the true power of their Fire type moves. If they use that as a development point for Scorbunny and Ash works on training Scorbunny so it doesn't have to warm up, it would be great for Scorbunny development.

When it comes to the companions, I hope we will get Milo and Bea as Ash's new teammates. I think all of them can be a really nice contrast to each other. Ash is energetic and knows how to have fun, Milo seems to be a gentle giant and Bea comes off as cold and serious. Also, the starters seemed to be a contrast to each other's personality. Grookey is very playful, so it really fits with Ash, Scorbunny seems comes off as a fighter (plus there are rumors out there, that the final evolution will be a fire/fighting type) so it fits well with Bea, and Sobble is a bit shy, which could fit with Milo, who also comes off as a bit modest.

But I would also be open for Allister, who could also be the trainer of Sobble. He seems to come off as shy, as Sobble.

But... if they will go with the pattern, then Ash most technically owns all the starters this time around one again.

Last edited:
When it comes to the companions, I have hope we will get Milo and Bea as Ash's new teammates. I think of them can be a really nice contrast to each other. Ash is energetic and knows how to have fun, Milo seems to be a gentle giant and Bea comes off as cold and serious. Also, the starters seemed to be a contrast to each other's personality. Grookey is very playful, so it really fits with Ash, Scorbunny seems comes off as a fighter (plus there are rumours out there, that the final evolution will be a fire/fighting type) so it fits well with Bea, and Sobble is a bit shy, which could fit with Milo, who also comes off as a bit modest.

But I would also be open for Allister, who could also be the trainer of Sobble. He seems to come off as shy, as Sobble.

But... if they will go with the pattern, then Ash most technically owns all the starters this time around one again.
RileyXY1 doesn't believe in patterns, remember?

The last thing we want is another BW, which I'm afraid by looking at things, we may have already jinxed.

The anime series kinda have a pattern:

1. Original Series = Ash gets all the Starters and has two gym leaders as companions.
  2. Advanced Generation = Ash gets one of the starters and has three companions (a gym leader, the female protagonist and a younger sibling.)
  3. Diamond and Pearl = Ash gets two of the starters and his two companions are the female protagonist and one gym leader.

1. Best Wishes = Ash gets all the Starters and has two gym leaders as companions.
  2. Advanced Generation = Ash gets one of the starters and has three companions (a gym leader, the female protagonist and a younger sibling.)
  3. Sun and Moon = This is the first anime that fresh things up with the companions, but when it comes to the starters it is the same as with Diamond and Pearl.

7. As with Sword and Shield, I have the feeling we will once again have Ash with all the Starters. When it comes to companions, I'm not sure. Maybe the handle them once again in a different way. Maybe Ash will not have really companions that travel with him but in each town or location, he visits he will have for a couple of episodes one character that fills in the role of a companion. Kinda like they handled Todd in the OS.

The anime series kinda have a pattern:

1. Original Series = Ash gets all the Starters and has two gym leaders as companions.
  3. Diamond and Pearl = Ash gets two of the starters and his two companions are the female protagonist and one gym leader.

1. Best Wishes = Ash gets all the Starters and has two gym leaders as companions.
  3. Sun and Moon = This is the first anime that fresh things up with the companions, but when it comes to the starters it is the same as with Diamond and Pearl.
7. As with Sword and Shield, I have the feeling we will once again have Ash with all the Starters. When it comes to companions, I'm not sure. Maybe the handle them once again in a different way. Maybe Ash will not have really companions that travel with him but in each town or location, he visits he will have for a couple of episodes one character that fills in the role of a companion. Kinda like they handled Todd in the OS.

There's like some sort of theme for each Pokemon Generation...

We have Scandles with Gen 1, 2, 5 and 8 (Ash having 3 starters)
Nature with Gen 3 and 6 (Ash having 1 starters)
The Universe and Decade Anniversary with Gen 4 and 7 (Ash having 2 starters)

Last edited:
The official site says that Scorbunny often have to increase their heart rate to unlock the true power of their Fire type moves.

Well in that case, all Scorbunny would have to do to get his flame on is fall in love often. Gag Pokemon confirmed. :sneaky:

Being shy does not mean that it will be the gag starter. See, it works both ways.

Image result for applause gif

Grookey has been said to be mischievous, so I think it’s likely to be the base stage. Scorbunny appeals to the ‘cool’ crowd and would likely do so till it’s final stage.

I was saying that Allister doesn't need to always have his mask on. Also, the only other choice for a male companion that we know of is Milo, but I think that he might be too old.
The mask is Allister’s highlight. Marketing him while he’s not wearing the mask 90% of the time would be useless. His entire shtick is that he’s mysterious because no one sees his face.

And it could easily be possible that the companion hasn’t been revealed yet.

Maybe Ash will not have really companions that travel with him but in each town or location, he visits he will have for a couple of episodes one character that fills in the role of a companion. Kinda like they handled Todd in the OS.

I don't know...as much as I like that idea, I can't see Ash by himself. It's been shown time and time again he does NOT have what it takes to carry the Show on his own. That's why he keeps getting companions in the first place...

I don't know...as much as I like that idea, I can't see Ash by himself. It's been shown time and time again he does NOT have what it takes to carry the Show on his own. That's why he keeps getting companions in the first place...

Er, examples?

Worst I can think of is Johto, and that had behind the scenes issues of 'story arc removed for a movie'

Yeah I've said this before, but I also don't think that the 'Ash can just travel on his own' idea would work since it'd be like watching paint dry. He isn't charismatic enough to carry the series on his own and even the thought of him meeting characters-of-the-day that mght serve as temporary pseudo companions would kinda make the whole 'traveling on his own' angle redundant.

Yeah, I don't understand why he puts so much stock into "patterns".

The only thing set into stone is Ash will get one of the starters. Whether he gets more then one really depends on how many new pokemon the next region has that fit him character wise and the kind of cast the writers have created.

As for the idea of Ash traveling alone, yeah I don't think it could work. They might have been able to pull it off in early season one when Ash was a more dynamic character, but I don't think they could do it now.

Yeah, I don't understand why he puts so much stock into "patterns".

The only thing set into stone is Ash will get one of the starters. Whether he gets more then one really depends on how many new pokemon the next region has that fit him character wise and the kind of cast the writers have created.

As for the idea of Ash traveling alone, yeah I don't think it could work. They might have been able to pull it off in early season one when Ash was a more dynamic character, but I don't think they could do it now.
Yes, thank you. That's what I liked to hear. What I've put in is just if we have to go down the starter pattern thing.

Honestly I just made that since we are almost arriving at Gen 5's 10th anniversary.

Ironic, SwSh anime would come out 10 years after the Team Galactic Arc in Diamond and Pearl.

This is just if we go down the Ash's starters pattern.

And the point I was making with that joke response of mine was that the themes and Ash's "starters pattern" aren't intertwined, there's no connection between the two, which make your post be confusing. How do you get "scandles" (which, by the way, what even is a "scandle"?) from the fact that Ash caught 3 starters? How is Nature related to the fact that Ash has caught only one starters? How do you apply the theme of nature to the XY series, when Lysandre's desire to destroy the world is fuelled by disillusion in humanity after witnessing its greed and lust? How is the "theme" of "The Universe and Decade Anniversary" (which I don't even think it these two (or, at the very least, the latter) can actually be considered themes) related in any way, shape or form to the fact that Ash has only two starter Pokémon? How can you apply the theme of "The Universe" to SM, since it doesn't explore anything related to cosmogenesis or cosmic bodies and extraterrestrial life or anything related to the universe? Or how can you apply "Decade Anniversary" to DP or SM, since they don't celebrate anything regarding the decade they were made in?

Some of the themes you attribute to each gen's anime series don't make sense or are superficial. Their connection to Ash's supposed "starters pattern" is unexplained. And, basically, your entire statement lacks any concrete evidence and is about as absurd as those "Pokémon is [REDACTED] (as it is probably against the rules to use this word on the forums)" videos where people go to ridiculous lengths to prove that Pokémon are supposedly evil. Not to mention that, again, PATTERNS CAN BE BROKEN! And that's assuming that they were done intentionally to begin with.

Er, examples?

Usually at the beginning and end of a saga before he gets a -tachii or they've just broken up, and the occasional episode during a saga where the rest aren't around or scattered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom