• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m hoping more Pokémon to be shown

I don’t understand for Pokémon to be alolha forms and galar forms

How they changed into this
Is this a way of adapting or evolving themselves into Alola or galar form
I suppose so. Because GF exposed too much when building up for Gen 7, the opposite has happened with Gen 8. Perhaps it's also because they had to get Detective Pikachu, Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution and Pokemon Masters out of the way before we get more news in September.

Since Pokemon Go came out months before Pokemon Sun and Moon, and we got Meltan and Melmetal in the anime, perhaps we might have some of our old friends appear in Sword and Shield's anime. We could have Ash's Primape and James' Cacnea make a return also with a Galarian evolved form of Primape and a Galarian Cacturn, but that's just going a bit too far with this one.

I suppose so. Because GF exposed too much when building up for Gen 7, the opposite has happened with Gen 8. Perhaps it's also because they had to get Detective Pikachu, Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution and Pokemon Masters out of the way before we get more news in September.

Since Pokemon Go came out months before Pokemon Sun and Moon, and we got Meltan and Melmetal in the anime, perhaps we might have some of our old friends appear in Sword and Shield's anime. We could have Ash's Primape and James' Cacnea make a return also with a Galarian evolved form of Primape and a Galarian Cacturn, but that's just going a bit too far with this one.
Why u think ash Primeape returns?

Ugh, please don't let previous characters from previous series INCLUDING SM return, that would just take away spotlight from the current series . The Champion Cup being a thing in Games with the usual anime format is having me thinking that the anime will have less freedom with the league.

Not sure of anyone's pointed out this possibility here yet: if Ash ends up winning the Alola League, it would be great inter-series continuity if that was the reason why he would receive a recommendation to join the Galarian Gym Challenge.
I hope they would. Although they might self contain the series like at the end of DP and XY.

Last edited:
Since this is the Pokemon anime, I don't think we should expect that much continuity. Already I'm preparing myself for the first episode of ShSw to feature Ash suddenly arriving in Galar with no previous foreshadowing.

Since this is the Pokemon anime, I don't think we should expect that much continuity. Already I'm preparing myself for the first episode of ShSw to feature Ash suddenly arriving in Galar with no previous foreshadowing.
All events within the Original Series ended on a cliffhanger, with it also ending on a cliffhanger to Hoenn - GB/GBC
Advanced begins where it left off and ends on a cliffhanger to Sinnoh - GBA
Diamond and Pearl begins where it left off and ends with Ash returning to Pallet Town (Self Contained) - DS
Black and White begins with Ash travelling to Unova and ends on a cliffhanger to Kalos - DS
X and Y begins where it left off and ends with Ash returning to Pallet Town (Self Contained) - 3DS
Sun and Moon begins with Ash on vacation with his mom in Alola... Now, they could either end the series on a cliffhanger with Ash travelling to Galar, or have him return to Pallet Town (Self Contained). - 3DS

I'm sure Ash would return and have an endorsement given to travel to Galar.

Last edited:
Not sure of anyone's pointed out this possibility here yet: if Ash ends up winning the Alola League, it would be great inter-series continuity if that was the reason why he would receive a recommendation to join the Galarian Gym Challenge.

This would be a great sense of continuity and a fantastic way to get SwSh started. Though I don't think he would have to win the league for it to happen. If he lost in the finals it could be a "you show real potential, if you hone your skills and work hard you have a real shot at winning our league" kind of thing. Also slightly unrelated to the SwSh anime but if Satoshi wins the tournament but loses to Kukui is that still considered a "win" for the league as a whole?

To be fair the series has done this kind of thing before. Hazuki in the Johto league had a Bursyamo and was who convinced Satoshi to travel to the Hoenn region. Matori debuted in the last episode of Diamond&Pearl and gave the Rocket trio their new task/promotion. Pansy appeared in BW134 and traveled with the group for several episodes before convincing Satoshi to travel to Kalos with her. Having someone from the Galar region in the crowd during the Alola league watching Satoshi, coming up to him in the last few episodes and mentioning sponsoring him for the Galar league wouldn't be entirely out of the ordinary for this franchise.

To be fair the series has done this kind of thing before. Hazuki in the Johto league had a Bursyamo and was who convinced Satoshi to travel to the Hoenn region. Matori debuted in the last episode of Diamond&Pearl and gave the Rocket trio their new task/promotion. Pansy appeared in BW134 and traveled with the group for several episodes before convincing Satoshi to travel to Kalos with her. Having someone from the Galar region in the crowd during the Alola league watching Satoshi, coming up to him in the last few episodes and mentioning sponsoring him for the Galar league wouldn't be entirely out of the ordinary for this franchise.

You are forgetting the biggest one of all: Togepi.

This would be a great sense of continuity and a fantastic way to get SwSh started. Though I don't think he would have to win the league for it to happen. If he lost in the finals it could be a "you show real potential, if you hone your skills and work hard you have a real shot at winning our league" kind of thing. Also slightly unrelated to the SwSh anime but if Satoshi wins the tournament but loses to Kukui is that still considered a "win" for the league as a whole?

Perhaps after the finals on the 8th September (SM138), this Galar character will show up for the last remaining episodes before leading up to the Galar series.

Last edited:
You are forgetting the biggest one of all: Togepi.

Togepi was Gen II promotion yes but it wasn't what got the cast to go from region to region. The GS ball was what got Satosi and friends to go from Kanto > Orange > Johto but that was all within the same series so I'm not sure it's the same as the other examples.

Sun&Moon did start off completely fresh so it's not impossible for the SwSh anime to do the same thing but it seems more like an outlier than anything. I think that has to do more with XY not having many wrap-up episodes at the end so there wasn't as much time to introduce Alola, plus it has been said that they were more concerned with telling that saga's story than referencing other series which I think also applied to referencing the upcoming series though Musashi and Kojiro did drop the Solrock and Lunatone souveniers

I also wonder if Sun&Moon will end with "Next Time...A New Beginning!"

Togepi was Gen II promotion yes but it wasn't what got the cast to go from region to region. The GS ball was what got Satosi and friends to go from Kanto > Orange > Johto but that was all within the same series so I'm not sure it's the same as the other examples.

Sun&Moon did start off completely fresh so it's not impossible for the SwSh anime to do the same thing but it seems more like an outlier than anything. I think that has to do more with XY not having many wrap-up episodes at the end so there wasn't as much time to introduce Alola, plus it has been said that they were more concerned with telling that saga's story than referencing other series which I think also applied to referencing the upcoming series though Musashi and Kojiro did drop the Solrock and Lunatone souveniers

Why not? The series are not showcasing the new Sword and Shield anyway.

In Indego Plateau, we had Togepi to promote Gold and Silver.
In Johto we had the two Kecleons to promote Ruby and Sapphire.
In Hoenn May had a Munchlax to promote Diamond and Pearl.
In Sinnoh, we only had the Zoroark film to promote Black and White.
In Unova I think it was a mention of Kalos before the end of the series to promote X and Y.
In Kalos there was the Solrock and Lunatone souvenirs to promote Sun and Moon.

So far we're hardly getting anything Sword and Shield related in the anime, not even in the films nor anything. There's hardly any trailers as Sun and Moon had, which makes me think that the release of Sword and Shield will go poorly.

Until we get more news, it looks as if we're getting yet another self containing ending after wrapping up the arcs yet to fulfil, such as Gladion and Lillie finding their father and Mallow helping Shaymin to become it's Sky Form. I'm sure they can squeeze something in there for the last 6 episodes.

Last edited:

Considering the amount of attention they put on the Team Flare arc and its aftermath, it would have been pretty difficult to setup Ash's journey through Alola. They could have possibly showcased a seventh generation Pokemon during the Kalos League, but that might have felt too sudden, especially when he didn't really have a major battle against a new character.

I like the idea of the Alola League leading Ash into being recommended for the Galar Gym Challenge. I still feel like they would have helped to setup someone from the Galar region watching the Alola League earlier and I could still see them saving the recommendation for the first episode of the SWSH series, but it sounds like a pretty cool way to bridge the series together. I imagine that we'll get some reason for Ash to go to the Galar region within the last few episodes of SM though. They should have enough time to set that up after the Alola League wraps up.

Considering the amount of attention they put on the Team Flare arc and its aftermath, it would have been pretty difficult to setup Ash's journey through Alola. They could have possibly showcased a seventh generation Pokemon during the Kalos League, but that might have felt too sudden, especially when he didn't really have a major battle against a new character.

I like the idea of the Alola League leading Ash into being recommended for the Galar Gym Challenge. I still feel like they would have helped to setup someone from the Galar region watching the Alola League earlier and I could still see them saving the recommendation for the first episode of the SWSH series, but it sounds like a pretty cool way to bridge the series together. I imagine that we'll get some reason for Ash to go to the Galar region within the last few episodes of SM though. They should have enough time to set that up after the Alola League wraps up.
Which will probably be the next 6 episodes before the 3 week hiatus before the anime release, possibly on 17th November.

Speaking of which...

In the Sword and Shield's anime, I can already imagine there being both a male and female reporter talking about the events of each Gym Battle, similar to those found with football since this will be shown live.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom