• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Galar Regional Variants aka Galarian Forms

Do You think We'll see Galar Regional Varients of Past Pokemon and would you want them

• Total voters
There's only Rattata, Dugtrio, Golem, and now Weezing that have added hair, no? Even then, I'd argue that Rattata's isn't very distinguishable from regular whiskers (and doesn't really carry over to Raticate), Dugtrio's is the whole point of that form as a reference to Pele's hair, and I think Weezing needs it to complete the gentleman/industrialist look. If it's, as in the latter two cases, justified by the design concept, then I don't really see a problem. I do quibble with Golem's "beard," but that's more because it's just the Probopass joke recycled, and that was clever the first time. (Golem in general I would contend is probably the least well-justified Alola Form, even less so than Raichu, which is at least playing off of a recurring series gag.)

Ash's Pikachu might have evolved if Alolan Raichu were the original Raichu. Alolan Riachu is amazing and way better than the original. It's even better than Pikachu.
Meh, original Raichu is still the best. Alolan Raichu is just a baby bath toy version of Raichu with a surfboard tail.

Well, in terms of British Culture Weezing's gentlemen facial hair was the most obvious and main one they could go with. There aren't too many obvious styles (imo, actual British members can correct if I'm wrong) for them to use outside of the British Army stash. Herdier/Stoutland kinda already has this, but I wouldn't be surprised if they slapped it onto something else.

On another note, I honestly would rather have a Galarian Timburr line as opposed to typical Machop line. They already feel more industrial to me and a good fit alongside Galarian Weezing.

Last edited:
Meh, original Raichu is still the best. Alolan Raichu is just a baby bath toy version of Raichu with a surfboard tail.

Alolan Raichu is both much cuter and much cooler looking. In addition, it is Electric/Psychic type. This is all that is needed to make it vastly superior in all aspects.

Mind, your post is vague enough I'm not sure you disagree that Alolan Raichu looks both cuter and cooler, so I may be telling you something you already agree with. It's fine to prefer simpler designs with less aesthetic appeal.

Last edited:
I do wonder if we’ll get any traditional cross gen evolutions (besides Eeveelutions) now that regional evolutions are a thing. I also wonder if we’ll get any baby Pokémon or if regional pre-evolutions will be a thing. I’m kind of leaning on the side of “probably not” for both, but I hope I’m wrong.

I do wonder if we’ll get any traditional cross gen evolutions (besides Eeveelutions) now that regional evolutions are a thing. I also wonder if we’ll get any baby Pokémon or if regional pre-evolutions will be a thing. I’m kind of leaning on the side of “probably not” for both, but I hope I’m wrong.
A calf Pokémon that evolves into either Taurus or Miltank depending on its gender would be nice.

I'd honestly rather they just change Tauros and Miltank to work like Volbeat and Illumise, where they can produce eggs with a 50% chance of being one or the other. I don't really want an entire new Pokémon slot to be taken up by a functionally useless baby.

I'd honestly rather they just change Tauros and Miltank to work like Volbeat and Illumise, where they can produce eggs with a 50% chance of being one or the other. I don't really want an entire new Pokémon slot to be taken up by a functionally useless baby.
What function do they need besides being an adorable target for Amie/Refresh spam ;-;

Considering the fact that only one Unova Pokémon and *no one Kalos Pokémon got Megas and Alola noPokémon did, I’d like to see them get decent representation in the regional forms. As for specifics, I’d like to see:
  • Galarian Minncino. A post on r/pokemon about red Minncono (it was made before regional forms were confirmed and was just about a pallet swap) made me want a Galarian Minncino based on the red squirrel. Now, normal Minncino has already been revealed but I think a regional form could work. British red squirrels have had their numbers decreased by invasive grey squirrels brought in from North America. So you could have a few red Galarian Minncino spread around the region while there’s an abundance of Unova Minncino, paralleling the rivalry between the two squirrel species.
  • Galarian Aegislash
  • Galarian Minior that is fossil or geode based
Edit: *I forgot about Mega Diancie. Thank you to @MunchlaxKing88 for pointing that out.

I feel like Gen 6 and gen 7 mons don't get regional forms (For gen 6, it doesn't make sense, since Kalos is close by and gen 7 mons are still fresh designs as they are from the previous generation).

Alolan Raichu is both much cuter and much cooler looking. In addition, it is Electric/Psychic type. This is all that is needed to make it vastly superior in all aspects.

Mind, your post is vague enough I'm not sure you disagree that Alolan Raichu looks both cuter and cooler, so I may be telling you something you already agree with. It's fine to prefer simpler designs with less aesthetic appeal.
I will say that Alolan Raichu is cuter, yeah... it's basically the soft squishy version of regular Raichu. But if anything, normal Raichu is the cooler one and more aesthetically appealing.

Last edited:
I can't think of any ideas that would necessarily fit the British theme, but here's a couple of regional variant ideas I had:

Ekans/Arbok become Poison/Psychic with a hypnosis theme
Venonat/Venomoth become Bug/Psychic
Ponyta becomes Fairy and Rapidash becomes Fairy/Flying, becoming a pegasus
Noctowl becomes Psychic/Flying (Hoothoot's already been shown in its original form, but I don't think Noctowl has)
Ledian becomes Bug/Fighting and resembles a boxer, possibly getting an evolution
Sunkern and Sunflora become Grass/Fire, possibly getting an evolution

Noctowl fat ice owl like Hedwig?
Luxray electric/dark, Dunsparce evolution dragon/fairy, Torkoal fire/steel with steam engine, Arbok poison/dragon, Sunkern with 3 stage grass/fire and Farfetched flying/steel.
Natu flying/ghost. Durant fire/bug.
Liepard flying/electric
Goodra dragon/poison or dragon/water
Shuckle could be poison rock with spikes to learn Banneful bunker

Every single regional form with extra hair looks drastically improved over the original. I'm not exaggerating, they really are that good. From Alolan Dugtrio and Alolan Golem to Galarian Weezing.

Of course, most of the regional forms look better than the original anyway. But when they use the extra hair, it really adds something good to the Pokemon.

I would say that most of them look kinda stupid, but Galarian Weezing is great. Kinda goofy looking but in an endearing way.

I do quibble with Golem's "beard," but that's more because it's just the Probopass joke recycled, and that was clever the first time. (Golem in general I would contend is probably the least well-justified Alola Form, even less so than Raichu, which is at least playing off of a recurring series gag.)

Golem really is the worst, it adds nothing imo. No concept. It's not even nice looking.

I think it's probably overlooking a bit too much of the artists' efforts to say that there is "no concept" to Alolan Golem; to me the issue is more... why magnetic rocks? All of the other regional variants you can kind of understand, either in the context of a Hawaiian region (palm trees, hodads, Pele's hair, fire dancing) or as reconfiguration of that Pokémon to fit a distinctly different but still adjacent concept (arctic foxes, selectively bred cats, responsible trash management as opposed to harmful waste dumping, and then the shrews seem less direct but the igloo/icicle aesthetics are a fun way to ice-ify the brick pattern/spiny back of the Kanto versions). Whereas Golem is... now magnetic, because according to the Pokédex, it eats dravite. But I myself haven't been able to locate any particular real-world link between Hawaii and dravite, and even if it's not a specifically Hawaiian thing, why tourmaline, out of all the different kinds of rocks? Arctic foxes are popular, cat breeding has a long tradition, eco-friendliness is on-message... magnetic rocks feel kinda random (especially when it retains the same trade evolution method, rather than having anything to do with the special magnetic field, which wasn't even present in the area in which Geodude are found until USUM). I don't mind the idea, but I feel like it needs more to back it up.

Last edited:
If the Galarian Klink does exist, I’m hoping Galarian Klinklang look less stupid that it’s unovan counterpart. Hell I would be fine with Galarian Klink getting a branched Evolution that looks like a mech.

And I know people are writing off leaks off a Galarian hoothoot as fake, but what if the normal hoothoot seen in the trailers was meant to throw us off?

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom