• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Dynamax: Thoughts, Feelings, or Concerns

I like that it's officially confirmed that Dynamax Pokemon don't need to hold an item. It'll be nice to be able to take advantage of this powerful transformation and still be able to use items. It's also great to know that they can't flinch and that even Protect can do damage.

I'm still a bit disappointed that Gigantamax Pokemon are locked behind Max Raid Battles. I get that it's to encourage you to do them, but I don't like how there's a chance that I'll be trying to catch a Gigantamax Pokemon and someone else snatches it up instead. :cry: Now it's the same with getting a Pokemon with a hidden ability. I just wish there was another, simpler way to do it.

but I don't like how there's a chance that I'll be trying to catch a Gigantamax Pokemon and someone else snatches it up instead.

I don't think that's how it works. If it functions like it does in Pokémon GO, then everybody who participates in the Raid gets a chance to catch their own Pokémon. Otherwise, what would be the incentive for helping other players?

I don't think that's how it works. If it functions like it does in Pokémon GO, then everybody who participates in the Raid gets a chance to catch their own Pokémon. Otherwise, what would be the incentive for helping other players?

I thought during the E3 demo they said when trying to catch a Pokemon in a Max Raid battle, only one person would keep it in the end and everyone else just got items. I could just remembering it wrong, but I swore that's what they said.

I thought during the E3 demo they said when trying to catch a Pokemon in a Max Raid battle, only one person would keep it in the end and everyone else just got items. I could just remembering it wrong, but I swore that's what they said.

Maybe, I'll double-check. That said, even if it's true, I can't imagine that it wouldn't be the "host" who gets to perform the catch, at least. So if it's your game hosting the Raid, then surely you're the one who gets to catch it? Especially seeing as you don't actually need live players in order to Raid; you can do them with NPC partners as well.

Maybe, I'll double-check. That said, even if it's true, I can't imagine that it wouldn't be the "host" who gets to perform the catch, at least. So if it's your game hosting the Raid, then surely you're the one who gets to catch it? Especially seeing as you don't actually need live players in order to Raid; you can do them with NPC partners as well.

Oh, you can? I didn't remember them stating it could be done through NPCs. That's very much a relief it that's the case. Thanks for the info :bulbaLove:

Oh, you can? I didn't remember them stating it could be done through NPCs. That's very much a relief it that's the case. Thanks for the info :bulbaLove:

No problem.

Also, I have rewatched that part of the E3 stream, and they said that every player who participates has a chance to catch the Pokémon. Apparently you get other rewards such as items if you fail/decline to catch it.

Dynamax shocks off flinching? Shoking. Interesting if it will cause any?
What about stats moves?

Will be problematic strategy wise now.

I'm still a bit disappointed that Gigantamax Pokemon are locked behind Max Raid Battles.

Agreed. It feels like a lot of work and time to get a Gigantamax Pokémon, as well as Pokémon with their Hidden Ability. I fear that G-max Pokémon might set the entry bar for competitive way higher than it already is seeing as how supposedly rare G-max Pokémon are, especially a G-max and Hidden Ability ‘mon. I feel like you’d have to spend a lot of time grinding Max Raid battles—presumably alone with NPCs so as to not risk someone else catching the Pokémon before you do—in order to obtain a G-max Pokémon. While getting into competitive is already time-consuming, at the very least it can go quickly with a 6IV Ditto but right now I don’t see a way to quickly get G-max ‘mons outside of trading for them. Hopefully Dynamax Level will be related to a method of obtaining G-max Pokémon without hunting for them.

Last edited:
Agreed. It feels like a lot of work and time to get a Gigantamax Pokémon, as well as Pokémon with their Hidden Ability. I fear that G-max Pokémon might set the entry bar for competitive way higher than it already is seeing as how supposedly rare G-max Pokémon are, especially a G-max and Hidden Ability ‘mon. I feel like you’d have to spend a lot of time grinding Max Raid battles—presumably alone with NPCs so as to not risk someone else catching the Pokémon before you do—in order to obtain a G-max Pokémon. While getting into competitive is already time-consuming, at the very least it can go quickly with a 6IV Ditto but right now I don’t see a way to quickly get G-max ‘mons outside of trading for them. Hopefully Dynamax Level will be related to a method of obtaining G-max Pokémon without hunting for them.

Next sets of games alwaya can fix that too. Interesting they gave info today. No new pokemon but something.

Hmm dynamax and probably G-max pokes are immune to flinching... Extra inner focus for 3 turns. Interesting if a g-max move that causes flinching will be there.

I also really hope there will be a method to easily find them. I kind of wanted to use a G-Max Pokemon on my team, but if it's too much work to find and catch one, I won't even bother.

Interesting if rock max move or ground max move summons sandstorm? Ground should be spikes but there also stealth rocks.

Hmm flinching, what about other like confusion, sleep, freeze, burn, paralyzis?
They could show more of that kind info.

Mirror armor is nice hope it sends intimidate back too.

Interesting if rock max move or ground max move summons sandstorm? Ground should be spikes but there also stealth rocks.

Hmm flinching, what about other like confusion, sleep, freeze, burn, paralyzis?
They could show more of that kind info.

Mirror armor is nice hope it sends intimidate back too.
Rock does summon Sandstorm. Ground does leave some to be curious over. Also, it'd be crazy if Dynamax pokemon were also immune to statuses as well. Also yes, Mirror Armor does reflect Intimidate

Rock does summon Sandstorm. Ground does leave some to be curious over. Also, it'd be crazy if Dynamax pokemon were also immune to statuses as well. Also yes, Mirror Armor does reflect Intimidate

Hope they make this clear. Will o wisp or toxic... But what about one hit KO moves? Those should have higher chance of succes hitting something large.

They would no longer be OHKO moves in the Max states though. They’d just turn into the max moves of their respective type and deal regular damage.
I think he means if you attack a Dynamax pokemon with an OHKO move it should have a higher rate of successfully hitting it due to its size.

I think he means if you attack a Dynamax pokemon with an OHKO move it should have a higher rate of successfully hitting it due to its size.
Oh... guess I misread. The realistic part of me says GameFreak is probably not going to change accuracy thanks to size for specifically OHKO moves.
They did address flinching, but it could be because Dynamax would lose competitive importance if there was the possibility of the Pokémon being flinched in the three turns it gets to wreak havoc.

It's interesting to me that they've condensed a-lot of the more recent, game defining Battle mechanics into this one feature...A Dynamax Pokemon can set up Terrain, summon Weather, use a 'Z-Move', and some of them can even transform like a Mega Evolution. Being able to Dynamax anything on your team also gives you some flexibility and options during the course of a Battle. I think it could actually be fun to try out, though I'm not sure if things will be more chaotic or less for the larger competitive scene...

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom