• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

PokeAni Missed Opportunities

I talked about this before in another thread, but how come Ash's Corphish never evolved?

Because Crawdaunt is as ugly as sin.

And before y'all bring up Glalie as an example of an ugly Pokemon owned by Ash, let me just remind y'all that after it evolved from Snorunt it only participated in a few battles at the very end of Hoenn before Ash ditched it at Oak's retirement home and it never battled again. So it's not like we had to put up with Glalie's ugliness for long.

I don't have a problem with Satoshi losing to a Lucario. What I have a problem with is Lucario taking out half of Satoshi's team, with two of them having not battled yet and one of them having a type-advantage and being fully evolved while Riolu was still in its base form (I consider Kenhallow's performance against Riolu to be absolutely shameful).

To be honest, the whole region seemed to be focused on making Satoshi look weaker and him losing to an idiot who went on to be walked over by Virgil was the sour icing on the awful cake.

That's why I'd consider Cameron's Riolu/Lucario to be a bit overpowered. He basically relied on one Pokemon to make up for his mistakes and defeated three Pokemon in a row. Virgil walking through Cameron definitely didn't help matters. I just don't really see how losing to Virgil would have been that much better. It probably wouldn't have been among the infamous League defeats Ash has had, but it seems pretty unlikely that we missed out on having a good battle.

I talked about this before in another thread, but how come Ash's Corphish never evolved? It seemed like a competent enough battler and a Crawdaunt would've been pretty cool for Ash to own. I had the theory before that maybe the writers didn't want to give Ash the same Pokemon that Team Aqua was using. What else could've been the problem? Did they not want Ash to have a Dark (or Evil in Japan) type? I'm not really sure. Also Krabby was hardly used before the Indigo League after its capture episode and it was the first water Pokemon Ash owned to evolve? I know it was the early days so a Pokemon didn't need much focus or training for that matter to evolve, but still it's weird. Come to think of it, I could ask the same question about Buizel. Ash's water Pokemon aside from Greninja never really seem to get to reach their greatest potential which is kind of a shame. I could understand Squirtle and Totodile not evolving, but the others water Pokemon Ash owned from Hoenn onward not evolving seem like a missed opportunity. I'm guess I could be stuck on this particular topic because Water is one of my favorite types aside from Electric...

I kind of figured that they didn't want Ash to use a Pokemon that was used by one of the evil teams like Team Aqua. Plus, they didn't really seem interested in giving Ash as many evolutions as possible for his teams prior to XY. It still seems like a shame considering it was one of Ash's main battlers throughout AG. I was much more disappointed that Buizel didn't evolve. It had the most focus out of Ash's Water Pokemon at the time and was frequently used in battle, so it really should have evolved into a Floatzel. It still would have enough marketable cuteness, while still looking tough.

On a similar note, I've been rewatching AG lately and I feel like Torkoral was really underused. Despite having a good capture episode where it bonded with Ash quite nicely, it was only used in one Gym battle. I know that it still gets some attention during the League and Battle Frontier arcs, but I really wish that Torkoal got a chance to shine during the Hoenn Gyms, especially when its one Gym battle wasn't particularly good. I also wish that Ash had caught that Spoink that kept losing its pearl in those two filler episodes instead of Snorunt. At least part of that is due to how I found Snorunt to be pretty annoying and I didn't like that they put so much focus on Ash trying to teach it Ice Beam during the Hoenn Grand Festival.

I kind of figured that they didn't want Ash to use a Pokemon that was used by one of the evil teams like Team Aqua.

I don't think it was so much that, but more than the little crab Pokemon had a lot more potential for comedy than its evolution.

I kind of figured that they didn't want Ash to use a Pokemon that was used by one of the evil teams like Team Aqua. Plus, they didn't really seem interested in giving Ash as many evolutions as possible for his teams prior to XY. It still seems like a shame considering it was one of Ash's main battlers throughout AG. I was much more disappointed that Buizel didn't evolve. It had the most focus out of Ash's Water Pokemon at the time and was frequently used in battle, so it really should have evolved into a Floatzel. It still would have enough marketable cuteness, while still looking tough.
Team Aqua used Crawdaunt in the anime?

EDIT: I forgot about Team Aqua's debut episode.

I don't have a problem with Satoshi losing to a Lucario. What I have a problem with is Lucario taking out half of Satoshi's team, with two of them having not battled yet and one of them having a type-advantage and being fully evolved while Riolu was still in its base form (I consider Kenhallow's performance against Riolu to be absolutely shameful).

To be honest, the whole region seemed to be focused on making Satoshi look weaker and him losing to an idiot who went on to be walked over by Virgil was the sour icing on the awful cake.
That's why I'd consider Cameron's Riolu/Lucario to be a bit overpowered. He basically relied on one Pokemon to make up for his mistakes and defeated three Pokemon in a row. Virgil walking through Cameron definitely didn't help matters. I just don't really see how losing to Virgil would have been that much better. It probably wouldn't have been among the infamous League defeats Ash has had, but it seems pretty unlikely that we missed out on having a good battle.
Not to mention the fact that Cameron was rewarded of his big blunder of forgetting to bring six Pokémon to a Full Battle by him winning said battle and one of his Pokémon evolving. Not a good example for kids.

Not to mention the fact that Cameron was rewarded of his big blunder of forgetting to bring six Pokémon to a Full Battle by him winning said battle and one of his Pokémon evolving. Not a good example for kids.

He didn't forget to bring six Pokemon. He genuinely thought 'full' meant five-on-five because... erm...both full and five begin with 'F'. Whatever it is, it makes it that much worse.

Kotetsu was dumb to the point of I don't know how he remembered to dress in the morning. He thought the Isshu League was held in Johto!

Yeah. I know. I actually made it sound less worse than it actually was. Cameron is my pet peeve of the Unova anime and I've made lengthy rants about him on multiple occasions.

I'm pretty sure I've said "He thought the Isshu League was held in Johto!" several times on here before... it's just such a sore spot with me.

But yeah, it irks me that the show essentially said "Hey kids, you know that Eeveelution trainer we set up for the league to face Satoshi? Sorry, he's gonna be beaten by that dumb kid from a while ago".

I'm pretty sure I've said "He thought the Isshu League was held in Johto!" several times on here before... it's just such a sore spot with me.

But yeah, it irks me that the show essentially said "Hey kids, you know that Eeveelution trainer we set up for the league to face Satoshi? Sorry, he's gonna be beaten by that dumb kid from a while ago".
Tell me about it...

Oh, and also, besides being too idiotic to realize that a Full Battle was six on six and getting a lucky evolution, Cameron also won the battle despite him making some baffling Pokémon choices. Sending Ferrothorn against Pignite and Swanna against Pikachu just defies any sort of sensible logic, which clearly wasn't this guy's strongest suit.

I talked about this before in another thread, but how come Ash's Corphish never evolved? It seemed like a competent enough battler and a Crawdaunt would've been pretty cool for Ash to own. I had the theory before that maybe the writers didn't want to give Ash the same Pokemon that Team Aqua was using. What else could've been the problem? Did they not want Ash to have a Dark (or Evil in Japan) type? I'm not really sure. Also Krabby was hardly used before the Indigo League after its capture episode and it was the first water Pokemon Ash owned to evolve? I know it was the early days so a Pokemon didn't need much focus or training for that matter to evolve, but still it's weird. Come to think of it, I could ask the same question about Buizel. Ash's water Pokemon aside from Greninja never really seem to get to reach their greatest potential which is kind of a shame. I could understand Squirtle and Totodile not evolving, but the others water Pokemon Ash owned from Hoenn onward not evolving seem like a missed opportunity. I'm guess I could be stuck on this particular topic because Water is one of my favorite types aside from Electric...

Evolutions in the anime seem to stem with how popular the pokemon evolution line is with fans and merchandise. Corphish likely didn't evolve for the same reason Bulbasaur and Squirtle didn't, they were more popular then their evolution line.

Speaking about Satoshi's Kingler, I was checking Bulbapedia early in this afternoon to see if he was brought back to the Shin'ou league, or at least made an appearance in that episode where all this Pokemon are brought back (and then get lost). Seems like it was completely forgotten even in the latter! Wasn't Satoshi supposed to bring his ENTIRE team back?

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't think he appeared. If I remember correctly, the only Kanto pokemon that Ash owned that appeared were Bulbasaur, Muk, and Snorlax.

Speaking about Satoshi's Kingler, I was checking Bulbapedia early in this afternoon to see if he was brought back to the Shin'ou league, or at least made an appearance in that episode where all this Pokemon are brought back (and then get lost). Seems like it was completely forgotten even in the latter! Wasn't Satoshi supposed to bring his ENTIRE team back?

It made a couple cameo appearances during Advanced Generation and an appearance in a photo at the end of Best Wishes, but has otherwise been pretty much forgotten since the original series.

None of those are as bad as him and Charizard being the only one of Ash's Kanto team residing at the lab to not show up

I don't think it was so much that, but more than the little crab Pokemon had a lot more potential for comedy than its evolution.

That was definitely a factor too. Corphish was used for comedy relief at times and that might have been harder to pull off if it had evolved. It's a shame since I think it would have been pretty cool to give Ash a Crawdaunt in AG.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom