• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

PokeAni Missed Opportunities

Because Crawdaunt is as ugly as sin.

And before y'all bring up Glalie as an example of an ugly Pokemon owned by Ash, let me just remind y'all that after it evolved from Snorunt it only participated in a few battles at the very end of Hoenn before Ash ditched it at Oak's retirement home and it never battled again. So it's not like we had to put up with Glalie's ugliness for long.
Crawdaunt is just as ugly or not ugly as Corpish is. Its literally just corpish with a few additional adornments.

Because Crawdaunt is as ugly as sin.

And before y'all bring up Glalie as an example of an ugly Pokemon owned by Ash, let me just remind y'all that after it evolved from Snorunt it only participated in a few battles at the very end of Hoenn before Ash ditched it at Oak's retirement home and it never battled again. So it's not like we had to put up with Glalie's ugliness for long.
Crawdaunt is just as ugly or not ugly as Corpish is. Its literally just corpish with a few additional adornments.
Well, the writers did state that evolution ugliness was one factor in not evolving Dawn's Piplup, hence why they wrote that episode where he wussed out and got an Everstone. Indeed, Piplup not evolving as a sign of character development at the end of DP is a missed opportunity, as instead he remains a prideful whiny brat who reacted to the separation (and him and Dawn being "erased" after their appearance in BW) with a tantrum.

But could we really state that ugliness is a factor for other non-evolutions? Are Meganium, Typhlosion, Feraligatr, Floatzel, Garchomp, Serperior, Samurott, Scrafty, and Decidueye considered "ugly" by the writers to justify Ash never getting them? Though in the case of Gible, had he evolved, Ash would've released him before the Sinnoh League even began, given the fates of Larvitar and Goodra.

But could we really state that ugliness is a factor for other non-evolutions? Are Meganium, Typhlosion, Feraligatr, Floatzel, Garchomp, Serperior, Samurott, Scrafty, and Decidueye considered "ugly" by the writers to justify Ash never getting them? Though in the case of Gible, had he evolved, Ash would've released him before the Sinnoh League even began, given the fates of Larvitar and Goodra.
I think Ash's Unova starters didn't evolve much because they wanted to emulate season 1, where the Fire starter was also the only one of the three to evolve.

I think Ash's Unova starters didn't evolve much because they wanted to emulate season 1, where the Fire starter was also the only one of the three to evolve.
And even then, Ash never got an Emboar because by then, they decided to just bring back Charizard for nothing but ratings.

And even then, Ash never got an Emboar because by then, they decided to just bring back Charizard for nothing but ratings.
One clear evidence that Charizard's return was nothing but poorly executed fan service (besides it not, you know, participating in anything important) was that they took away Seismic Toss. Seismic Toss. Charizard's signature finisher move. And replaced it with Slash and Wing Attack. Some of the most basic moves a Charizard can have.

Well, the writers did state that evolution ugliness was one factor in not evolving Dawn's Piplup, hence why they wrote that episode where he wussed out and got an Everstone. Indeed, Piplup not evolving as a sign of character development at the end of DP is a missed opportunity, as instead he remains a prideful whiny brat who reacted to the separation (and him and Dawn being "erased" after their appearance in BW) with a tantrum.

I don't think Piplup choosing an Everstone meant that it wussed out. It didn't want to evolve and I thought that the in-universe reason behind it was perfectly fine. I don't think it would have made sense for Piplup to evolve at the end of DP. Why would it suddenly change its mind about evolution? It wasn't really a missed opportunity exactly when I don't think that was even possible. As annoying as Piplup could be, I think calling its reaction to the group separating at the end of the series as a tantrum might be a bit too harsh. After everything they went through, being apart would hit Piplup pretty hard, so it's emotional outburst was pretty understandable.

UxieLover1994 said:

I don't think any of those Pokemon are ugly or that the writers would choose to not give Ash certain Pokemon because they consider them as such. Ash usually gets popular Pokemon, which tend to be cute and/or cool and often unevolved Pokemon are more marketable. In the case of the Johto starters, I think that they only wanted one of them to evolve to kind of mirror his Kanto team, despite how Bayleef didn't evolve into Meganium. Other characters already existed to promote some of these Pokemon like Garchomp, Serperior and Decidueye, even though I'm still disappointed that Ash's Rowlet became so useless instead of actually evolving into a Decidueye. Ash never caught Larvitar either. The whole point of that arc was to bring it back to its home as they were going towards the Johto League, so it wasn't quite like what happened with Goodra. Even then, he probably would have brought his Gabite or Garchomp to the Sinnoh League since they brought back Goodra for the Kalos League.

I never understood why Tsutarja didn't evolve either. Maybe for marketing it's better to leave it as-is, but I don't buy the Kanto-mimicking situation. It was by far the strongest starter Satoshi'd caught at first (course, it overused Attract a little too much, and ignoring that BW treated this move as an instant KO...), with the best moveset (ignoring Attract once more, and the other three being all Grass type...) out of the three.

By the end of BW not only Tsutarja never evolved (not even to Janovy) as it never learned a new move! How come? Why ending up this underdeveloped?

Was it because Shooty also had a Tsutarja? It still seems cheap when considering that Satoshi's Naetle evolved all the way to Dodaitosu when Shinji had this same Pokemon.

Rewatching some Johto, one thing that really bugs me is how Brock's Onix's doesn't evolve here, but later off-screen in BF. I mean come on, he gets a Crobat and Forretress to be his signature "Johto" pokemon over Steelix, who is an evolved form of the pokemon he most associated with.

Maybe the writers didn't know how to write an on-screen evolution dealing with Onix, given the in-game mechanism involved. But still, it was a missed opportunity IMO.

Lilie should rid of her Nihilego dress, which she wears for some reason.

Really?
Can we blame him though? I wouldn't evolve either if I would look like that.
I definitely think the writers dropped the battle massively in Sinnoh towards the end... both the Champions League and Sinnoh Battle Frontier are set up only for nothing to be done with them.
One of the most hilarious things about the show is their failure to showcase Elite Four, a.k.a. the guys you supposed to beat in order to win the game. Yet for some reason they never bothered to introduce something important like that before, so when DP actually do something reasonable like that, people assumed that it's a "set up" for a post-league arc, which is not the case at all. I also wouldn't buy that "Champion League" is really a set up for a post-league arc: it's basically a needed explanation to solve the contradiction between the anime's Championship Tournament and the existence of Elite Four in the show. Also, whenever we see a Sinnoh Elite Four member, they're shown as ridiculously strong compared to our protagonists, so I can't really see DP Satoshi to beat all of them. Sinnoh Battle Frontier is barely introduced, so I'm not sure why you count that as a "set up."
I never understood why Tsutarja didn't evolve either.
Maybe she didn't want to lose her limbs? :wynaut: Seriously, it's the worst evolution ever!

I never understood why Tsutarja didn't evolve either. Maybe for marketing it's better to leave it as-is, but I don't buy the Kanto-mimicking situation. It was by far the strongest starter Satoshi'd caught at first (course, it overused Attract a little too much, and ignoring that BW treated this move as an instant KO...), with the best moveset (ignoring Attract once more, and the other three being all Grass type...) out of the three.

By the end of BW not only Tsutarja never evolved (not even to Janovy) as it never learned a new move! How come? Why ending up this underdeveloped?

Was it because Shooty also had a Tsutarja? It still seems cheap when considering that Satoshi's Naetle evolved all the way to Dodaitosu when Shinji had this same Pokemon.
Not to mention that she was once or twice hinted to have had a troubled past with another Trainer, and that past is never explored beyond that. Maybe they did that to draw more attention to Pokabu's past Trainer?

Crawdaunt's good though! I used one in a Water Mono run I did a while ago. Don't judge a book by it's cover. Some Pokemon might look bad, but that does not mean they are bad when it comes to battling.

I still don’t see Crawdaunt as drastically less marketable than Corpish. It really isn’t an evolution that makes it drastically different.
Maybe the marketing crew thought different, who knows?
True. Though if that is the case, why did all of Ash's Kalos Pokemon (other than Hawlucha and Pikachu) fully evolve if un-evolved is more marketable?
Maybe all of them were considered marketable enough?

If OLM thought that Potaishi was way less marketable than Pocchama back in DP, and it's not ugly at all, I can totally see thet thinking the same about Shizariger.

Thing is, it's not that they look ugly or unappealing (although I find Shizariger a little creepy-looking), but less cute than their pre-evos.

If OLM thought that Potaishi was way less marketable than Pocchama back in DP, and it's not ugly at all, I can totally see thet thinking the same about Shizariger.
Pottaishi wouldn't work as a walking pokémon either. And as you said, Shizariga is way too creepy looking for being a comedic pokémon.

True. Though if that is the case, why did all of Ash's Kalos Pokemon (other than Hawlucha and Pikachu) fully evolve if un-evolved is more marketable?

Because the un-evolved form is not always the most marketable. The perfect example of this is Charmander and Froakie. Both are cute and marketable, yet they were allowed to evolve in their respective series becaue their final evolutions were even more popular.

Because the un-evolved form is not always the most marketable. The perfect example of this is Charmander and Froakie. Both are cute and marketable, yet they were allowed to evolve in their respective series becaue their final evolutions were even more popular.
I see. So why didn’t the rest of the starters fully evolve? Were they not popular?

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom