• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM135: The Semifinals! Kaki VS Glazio!!

It's more that he either curbstomps his opponents without taking enough damage on Golisopod for EE to activate, or EE activates just when the situation is starting to get a little rough, and Guzma bluffs his way out of the situation by saying that Golisopod just didn't see its opponent being worth fighting anymore, like it did with Pikachu. The thing with the League is that here, Guzma can't use EE to run from the battle, and that's probably what's pissing him off.
I can actually see the skull idiots believing him...

What I meant is that everyone seems to be crediting his “undefeated” status as just Golisopod pussying out every time, when his performances have shown that he does have skill as a trainer.

What I meant is that everyone seems to be crediting his “undefeated” status as just Golisopod pussying out every time, when his performances have shown that he does have skill as a trainer.
He definitely has skill, that is undeniable. His "undefeated" reputation just is a combination of legitimate skill and him weaseling out of battles if the odds turn against him.

No one's denying that Guzma is strong. But the point is that Emergency Exit is the reason he's "undefeated". Either he wins before it activates, or when it does activate, he uses it an excuse to call off the battle before he does lose, like he did with Ash and Pikachu.

He's strong, just not as strong as his "undefeated" status would have one believe.

Whole "Emergency Exit" theory is too ridiculous, I hope it's not true. No sane person would take someone like that seriously.

The whole scene with the TRio felt too real. The whole "getting too caught up on work that you forget the reason why you're even working that particular job in the first place" is something I have to deal with on a regular basis lol.

As a side note, really hoping we get more Ohashi on the next battles. 30ish seconds isn't enough to quench my thirst for sakuga.

So, I've been watching the subs. Guess which scene they just reused in this episode:
Also, this scene just feels wrong on so many levels:

While I won't deny the he's not the best at handling a loss, he's far more than a simple pathetic ruffian. If you play through Sun and Moon's postgame (or just read Guzma's Bulbapedia article), you learn that he used to be a very strong and powerful trainer (as evidenced by his trophies), however, be it because of his failure at becoming a Trail Captain or because he might've failed his island challenge, as well as the way his father may have treated him, has lead to him being seen as a loser, with no one (or, at least, no adults) recognizing his strength and becoming somewhat of an outcast (which could explain why he can't handle a loss). The whole reason he even follows Lusamine in the games is because "she's the only adult who ever seemed to see how strong he was". His backstory and character are deeper and extend beyond him being just a loser.
Then again, he always came up short, notice that his trophies were all bronze or silver

They do a good enough job accentuating Hoshi's cuteness on her end, but they do lay it on uncomfortably thick sometimes on his end to the point where in some scenes you could be forgiven for thinking he's a genuine siscon.
At this point I truly believe that animators are doing this as an intentional joke, a classic case of "getting crap past the radar."

When first watching this episode, I genuinely thought that Glazio's Lugarugan as it kept on taking hit after hit... so I was genuinely happy when the spiral eyes did finally appear. I'm glad Kaki actually managed to defeat one of Glazio's Pokemon, even if he is about to be walked over by Silvady.

SwadloonBoy’s thoughts....

• Satoshi practicing against Kaki with Torracat, maybe Torracat will actually get to battle this round :3
  • Lillie rooting for her bother who hardly ever visits her over Kaki......what an unloyal friend wow
  • Kaki is gonna be an absolute nightmare of an older brother when Hoshi gets older and wants to have more freedom...good thing this is Pokemon and nobody ever ages
  • Hoshi making Gladio think of his own little sister was so cute and precious omg
  • Hoshi shaded the hell out of the Skull Gang when she called them the School Gang LOL
  • I’m so glad we’re past the days of TR trying to steal Pikachu all the time.....I’m rewatching the DP series also right now and it’s just astonishing how annoying and unnecessary their presence was in most eps...I appreciate them so much more when they’re only shown when they actually have something meaningful to contribute /completelyunrelatedrant
  • Team Rocket having an identity crisis over forgetting to be evil LOL....I love them <3
  • Stufful & Bewear continuing to ignore TR continues to be very much appreciated, writers
  • Plumeria is the only team skull member I care about...and Guzma is a complete fool not to take her warnings more seriously
  • FINALLY the contestants are allowed to use more than 1 Pokémon...even if 2v2 is still a bit limited...
  • rooting for Kaki even though we all know he’s gonna lose.....
  • the animation this episode is really good, wow....like the way Kiawe and Gladio move before commanding each attack is so over the top extra lol
  • that shell trap counterattack was so epic holy hell
  • Kaki busting out his 8-pack was a very WTF moment but do what you’ve gotta do to win, boy

• Gladio vs. Kaki is shaping up to be an interesting battle; interested to see its conclusion next episode
  • YES TORRACAT GETS TO BATTLE! BEAT GOLISOPOD AND SCIZOR TO A PULP!!
  • Lana joking about a fake episode title was a true ‘lol’ moment for me....gonna miss that girl when the Gen 8 anime starts...

Familiar ties surpass even the bonds of friendship.
I personally disagree.

Well, Lillie chose to cheer for Gladion because everyone else would be cheering for Kiawe, so it’s not as if he’d have no one cheering for him if she chose Gladion to cheer for. Whereas no one else in the group was really cheering for Gladion. And it’s not as if she wanted Kiawe to lose. She’d have been happy if Kiawe won.

This is one of the moments where silly faces contribute to detriment of the story. It should’ve been presented as a slight dilemma for Lillie with some justification instead of FunnyFace#1000000.

Well, Lillie chose to cheer for Gladion because everyone else would be cheering for Kiawe, so it’s not as if he’d have no one cheering for him if she chose Gladion to cheer for. Whereas no one else in the group was really cheering for Gladion. And it’s not as if she wanted Kiawe to lose. She’d have been happy if Kiawe won.
I know that. I just said that she chose to cheer for Gladion because he's her brother.

I know that. I just said that she chose to cheer for Gladion because he's her brother.
Yeah. The intentions of the scene seem nice, with Lillie choosing to cheer for Gladion when everyone else is cheering for Gladion, so both have people cheering for them, but you gotta read between the lines, because out of context (or even any reasonable person) will probably assume Lillie doesn’t care about Kiawe. The funny face on Lillie's part reinforces this a bit.

I personally found that a poorly written scene all things considered, and comedy insertion negatively affected the character interactions.

Yeah. The intentions of the scene seem nice, with Lillie choosing to cheer for Gladion when everyone else is cheering for Gladion, so both have people cheering for them, but you gotta read between the lines, because out of context (or even any reasonable person) will probably assume Lillie doesn’t care about Kiawe. The funny face on Lillie's part reinforces this a bit.

I personally found that a poorly written scene all things considered, and comedy insertion negatively affected the character interactions.
...Lillie cares about her friends

You're still missing the point that family matters more - she wants both to do their best, but she wants her brother to win

Because he's family

• Lana joking about a fake episode title was a true ‘lol’ moment for me....gonna miss that girl when the Gen 8 anime starts...
What do you mean? :unsure:

It's more that he either curbstomps his opponents without taking enough damage on Golisopod for EE to activate, or EE activates just when the situation is starting to get a little rough, and Guzma bluffs his way out of the situation by saying that Golisopod just didn't see its opponent being worth fighting anymore, like it did with Pikachu. The thing with the League is that here, Guzma can't use EE to run from the battle, and that's probably what's pissing him off.
That's exactly how I see it, too!
In all his league battles so far Guzma wasn't forced to use Emegency Exit because he simply was stronger than his opponents and even Lana and Kiawe acknowledeged that fact at the end of the episode.
Actually, I can't see how the much-discussed EE-strategy would help him in the next episode. If Golisopod retreats from battle and he doesn't have another Pokemon to send out, then he will lose the battle. As simple as that.

Anyways, I'm getting more and more excited about the next episode!

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom