• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM136: Rising Fire! There's More Than One Rival!!

I was surprised that Guzma's Golisopod's ability Emergency Exit made him return to replace with Scizor but he was defeated by Ash's Torracat by Fire Blast.

I have no surprises for Torracat evolving. This is for the deceased Stoutland.

I give this episode a B-.

Another good episode especially when it comes to Guzma's side. He's definitely getting horrifyingly close to snapping as a whole and they did a perfect job of showing that off. It's clear that for Ash and Pikachu next week this guy is gonna be a tough nut to crack.

Also hooray for Torracat getting some time to shine. I just wish the anime was able to do more with him and Gladion and Kiawe's battle ended on a good enough note.

Today’s episode was pretty good, I mainly liked the story about why Guzma hates losing and seeing his all his non-winner trophies was pretty good, hopefully we see more of why he turned out this way in the next episode..

Gladion’s battle with Kiawe was nice, even if it was anti-climatic.. I just felt that it was a tad too short considering that we wasted a bit of time on Team Rocket which was unnecessary, could’ve extended that battle by a bit more..

As for next week’s battle, I still think that Pikachu will finish the battle and beat Golisopod.. Torracat will either faint or Ash will switch him out in favor of Pikachu and continue from there!

I felt sorry for Scizor, it had no chance against that Fire Blast, he knew that and his partner screwed up his strategy costing him dearly

Guzma may be a coward that can’t take a lose but it looks like from next week’s preview that he’s not gonna go down in embarrassment and that Golisopod is pretty strong to endure against both of Ash’s Pokémon even if it is a bit wimpish..

Only thing I didn’t like about the episode is the Bewear gag, it’s gotten boring.. We could’ve seen Mimi and Kiawe saying good bye to each other instead of that rubbish lol, the writers should stop stretching out these jokes realize that people are gonna get bored of it after a while..

Regardless, these recent episodes have been pretty good and have been a lovely surprise to watch..

I’m wondering when new episode info is gonna come out?

I get the feeling the Kiteruguma scenes got repeated this episode for budgetary reasons. The show's been having to animate battle-heavy episodes nonstop for about two months now, and it didn't take its usual July movie break, and they're not able to recycle footage as much as they used to (when was the last time we saw the Rocket motto?), and they're having to employ an entire series' worth of voice actors for basically every episode now, and they're probably busy trying to plan out the Sword & Shield series, and...

It's not surprising the show's taking shortcuts whenever it can.
Not ideal, but I guess I can understand it. If I was in charge of the dub I would cut some of the Bewear segment so I could insert the PokéProblem footage in before the credits, but maybe that's just me. I'm just thinking it's going to feel a bit odd to dub watchers that they made a point of bringing Mimo into the League only to then have her leave offscreen. A bit like how XY&Z brought Mairin into the show with no introduction since they expected you to have watched the Mega Evolution Specials, but if like me you live in a country that didn't get them she just turns up out of nowhere with no explanation as to who she is or anything of the sort.

We have access to the Japanese version so we know what happens, but most kids who watch it on TV (if any still exist) won't have that luxury.

I really don't get those Kiteruguma\Nuikoguma scenes. Other than it being way too repetitive (I think the robot pouring what looks like honey in the barries was repeated at least two times already, and the straw one at least three (two in this same episode). Anyway're they doing? Pretty lost since I missed all those previous episodes.

I really don't get those Kiteruguma\Nuikoguma scenes. Other than it being way too repetitive (I think the robot pouring what looks like honey in the barries was repeated at least two times already, and the straw one at least three (two in this same episode). Anyway're they doing? Pretty lost since I missed all those previous episodes.
It's just a method Team Rocket has employed to keep the two out of their hair until the Manalo Conference is over.

Gosokumusha is confirmed for SwSh.

This was another great episode thanks to Ya Boy Guzma. I liked that Kiawe and Gladion's battle ended with them strengthening their respect for each other, and don't even get me started on Ash's battle with Guzma. Its so refreshing to see him having a serious battle without gags thrown in. Torracat is doing a great job and I'm glad that he got a win off of Golisopod's Emergency Exit screwing over Scizor. Its great to see Toracatt getting the focus he deserves. Its also great to see Guzma just falling apart. He looks like he's on the verge of a breakdown thanks to Golisopod pulling that Emergency Exit and costing him Scizor.

just watched Kiawe and Gladion’s battle from start to finish and it’s a lot more satisfying. I forgot that Turtonator had been pummeled by Outrage. It definitely explains a lot more :wynaut:

Okay, can I just start off by saying that I'm tired of the cliffhangers. Like seriously, how many episodes have we gone that started and/or ended on a cliffhanger? Can we have a battle start and finish within one episode? Anyway, Gladion vs. Kiawe was expected. But Gladion 'saving' Silvally by using tossing a fire memory right as it was about to get blasted felt pretty lame. Just like Turtonator learning Focus Blast in the moment to beat Lycanroc, Gladion throwing that memory felt cheap. Honestly, I would have thought Gladion would go into a battle with a memory already equipped. He knows Kiawe is a fire-type trainer, I'm sure. One would think he would have given it a ground, dragon, or rock memory before the battle, but I guess not :/

Ash vs. ya boi Gumza was really good. I liked that Lana was obviously very into the battle after her mermaid got destroyed. I feel like it's been forever waiting for Torracat to finally get a battle, and he did so well here. Golisopod leaving the battle on his own from his ability and letting Scizor get torched was hilarious. And I really like that Guzma was pissed at him for doing that.

Unfortunately, Ash vs. Guzma was pretty much the only thing I liked in this episode, so 5/10.

Did you miss the part of the previous episode where it got completely thrashed by Lycanroc?

I'm amazed it didn't fall over to a gentle breeze like Tsareena did

That is true. Plus it had just used Shell Smash... point withdrawn.

Why is U-Turn seen as a dirty tactic but Gladion throwing Silvally a Memory during an official battle isn’t?

Had Silvally been sent out with the memory I could understand, but Gladion actively used an outside force to give his pokemon a boost while exploiting the current battle curcumstances. How’s that not cheating?

Why is U-Turn seen as a dirty tactic but Gladion throwing Silvally a Memory during an official battle isn’t?

Had Silvally been sent out with the memory I could understand, but Gladion actively used an outside force to give his pokemon a boost while exploiting the current battle curcumstances. How’s that not cheating?
Where was U-Turn stated to be a dirty trick? I don't think anyone even implied so.

Exactly. Should have been an instant DQ.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom