• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Would you name your firstborn Sinnoh?

KaylaBaraonda

Aroush Halapsian is best girl.
Reaction score
I would. But to me it would'nt really be after the region, it would be after Aroush Halapsian's child which in turn would be named after the region.

Maybe I could name them Shino\Shinoh which is the original name in the jap versions (like how Hoenn is just Hoen and Unova is Isshu)

No way. I'd give my child a culturally normal name they'd be happy to grow up with.

Seriously, children can be straight up nasty and horrible creatures and would harass anyone with a weird/nerdy/different name. This is a human being that would not necessarily like the same things I did and probably wouldn't appreciate being named after something that is not even the name of a person, but a region in a pokemon game. A kid's not a plaything. They have to live with and deal with that name for years until they're legally allowed to change it on their own if the parent doesn't have a change of heart.

No way. I'd give my child a culturally normal name they'd be happy to grow up with.

Seriously, children can be straight up nasty and horrible creatures and would harass anyone with a weird/nerdy/different name. This is a human being that would not necessarily like the same things I did and probably wouldn't appreciate being named after something that is not even the name of a person, but a region in a pokemon game. A kid's not a plaything. They have to live with and deal with that name for years until they're legally allowed to change it on their own if the parent doesn't have a change of heart.

When I was 6 I would'nt have cared if there were, say, people named Mushroom-Kingdom and Hyrule in my class. It's mostly the adults that care.

And there are some people named after places.

I think that with the passing of the centuries, traditional culture will go away and some people will identify more, and raise their children with cultural trappings from pop-culture.

For example, two people who met via Pokémon and raise their children based on the Pokémon world with everything in the house being Pokémon themed, they have holidays based on anniversary of game release, they always watch the anime, they share game savefiles together, they cosplay together, they blog all about it on social media, et al. So their kids grow up thinking of it as their culture, manage to "convert" their spouses, or marry someone raised similiarly, and this goes on.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom