• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's fair.

All the Trial captains that are companions now were revealed in August, 1 Month before the Anime, so the chance of Marnie becoming a companion is higher.
I dunno about that. Ash never had a Rival as a companion before (and that's excluding the Female Player Companions). On the contrary, I personally think that she and Morpeko would make a very interesting rival to Ash yet. She is considered a lone wolf after all.

Raichu - Usually a rival to Ash's Pikachu
Pichu - Usually a scamp or a troublemaker to Ash's Pikachu
Plusle and Minun - Hardly known
Pachirisu - Owned by Female Player Companion, Dawn
Emolga - Owned by Dragon Type Gym Leader, Iris
Dedenne - Looked after by Clemont's younger sister, Bonnie
Togedemaru - Owned by one of Ash's Classmates, Sophocles
Morpeko - Owned by one of Ash's Rivals, Marnie.

I somehow see Morpeko being just as much as a rival to Ash's Pikachu as Raichu.

Last edited:
I dunno about that. Ash never had a Rival as a companion before (and that's excluding the Female Player Companions). On the contrary, I personally think that she and Morpeko would make a very interesting rival to Ash yet. She is considered a lone wolf after all.

Raichu - Usually a rival to Ash's Pikachu
Pichu - Usually a scamp or a troublemaker to Ash's Pikachu
Plusle and Minun - Hardly known
Pachirisu - Owned by Female Player Companion, Dawn
Emolga - Owned by Dragon Type Gym Leader, Iris
Dedenne - Looked after by Clemont's younger sister, Bonnie
Togedemaru - Owned by one of Ash's Classmates, Sophocles
Morpeko - Owned by one of Ash's Rivals, Marnie.

I somehow see Morpeko being just as much as a rival to Ash's Pikachu as Raichu.
That's true, but reality is sad. Marnie has a pikaclone, and merchandise & promotion is always Number One for the Anime, I 100% see her as the companion. That isn't saying she couldn't be a Rival, she can be a companion and a Rival at the same time. Also something pokenchi is excited for something that is "game-related to the game that is SwSh" could SwSh Anime be announced?

Attachments

• 20190827_185814.jpg
    20190827_185814.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 122
That's true, but reality is sad. Marnie has a pikaclone, and merchandise & promotion is always Number One for the Anime, I 100% see her as the companion. That isn't saying she couldn't be a Rival, she can be a companion and a Rival at the same time. Also something pokenchi is excited for something that is "game-related to the game that is SwSh" could SwSh Anime be announced?
Except Marnie is a Gym Challenger, and they tend to avoid having two of those on the main cast at the same time.

Usually the month before the reveal of the new series is the last of any potential characters that'll likely be Ash's companions. Here is a speculative list to what we have thus far...

Note: Professor Magnolia, Champion Leon, Chairman Rose, Oleana and Team Yell are not in the list for obvious reasons.
NameLikely Companions to Ash?Reasons
VictorNoAsh usually fills in the role of the Male Player Character in every arc.
GloriaYesShe seems to be the only one to fit every criteria being Female Companion when compaired with those Ash has had in the past, such as Misty, May, Dawn, Iris, Serena, Mallow, Lillie and Lana.
SoniaNoDespite the friendly smile, she seems to be too old to be Ash's Companion. It doesn't also help that she's an old rival to Champion Leon
MiloMaybe?Milo is all muscle but big on heart, a gentle Giant who seems to fit being a Companion to Ash. You could say that he is a teenager, but that remains to be seen.
NessaNoHer swimwear, older age and glammer would be too much to be a companion for Ash.
BeaMaybe?Right size, although she is barefooted and lacks a warm personality for a companion. But then, if you look at the Trial Captains for Gen 7. We'll have to see.
AllisterNoRight size, although Allister's mask might just be too much for the usual picture. Plus it doesn't help that he has a Mimikyu, similar to how Jessie of Team Rocket has a Mimikyu.
HopNoA Friendly Rival competing in the Gym Challenge, likely to appear later on in the anime like Barry and Hau. Ash never had Rivals as companions.
BedeNoHe's a jerk of a Rival competing in the Gym Challenge, and Ash never had Rivals as companions.
MarnieNoShe's a Calm and calculative Rival competing in the Gym Challenge, despite having a Pikaclone as her ace. Ash never had Rivals as companions, and Marnie tends to be a lone wolf, constantly perused by the evil team.

If we want to know who Ash’s Companions are, then we would have seen then by now. I’m sure Iris and Cilan were revealed before BW anime reveal. Same for Clement before XY anime reveal, and the Trial Captains before SM anime reveal. I’m sure the anime crew wouldn’t show off characters we haven’t seen without a game trailer showing them beforehand, with the exception of anime exclusives.

I don't know about that. I don't think it would be unheard of to reveal new characters through the anime before showing them in gameplay footage. I can't recall if they've done that with the traveling companions before, but I remember Origins was where they first revealed Mega Charizard X. Since we'll most likely get some new trailer for the games in early September, revealing a new character for the anime wouldn't be much of a stretch. Although, at this point, I almost don't care who joins the cast since I'm just tired of all of the speculation on this topic.

Right size, although she is barefooted and lacks a warm personality for a companion. But then, if you look at the Trial Captains for Gen 7. We'll have to see.
Misty was not known for a particularly warm nature, though. And what about being barefooted? She could be given shoes. Olivia was given a slight redesign in the anime. Or she likes to remain barefooted for large periods of time to build strength.

Your list feels too latched in patterns with a slight tingle of Gloria bias to me. I currently don’t think we know enough to tell who's going to be the companion. We don’t know enough so everyone can make a decent case for their favourite character being a companion, and their not-favourite character won’t become one.

——————

Well, a thought just crossed my mind, if a Gym leader is going to be the companion will they wear the semi-customised soccer uniform 24/7?

Usually the month before the reveal of the new series is the last of any potential characters that'll likely be Ash's companions. Here is a speculative list to what we have thus far...

Note: Professor Magnolia, Champion Leon, Chairman Rose, Oleana and Team Yell are not in the list for obvious reasons.
VictorNoAsh usually fills in the role of the Male Player Character in every arc.
GloriaYesShe seems to be the only one to fit every criteria being Female Companion when compaired with those Ash has had in the past, such as Misty, May, Dawn, Iris, Serena, Mallow, Lillie and Lana.
SoniaNoDespite the friendly smile, she seems to be too old to be Ash's Companion. It doesn't also help that she's an old rival to Champion Leon
MiloMaybe?Milo is all muscle but big on heart, a gentle Giant who seems to fit being a Companion to Ash. You could say that he is a teenager, but that remains to be seen.
NessaNoHer swimwear, older age and glammer would be too much to be a companion for Ash.
BeaMaybe?Right size, although she is barefooted and lacks a warm personality for a companion. But then, if you look at the Trial Captains for Gen 7. We'll have to see.
AllisterNoRight size, although Allister's mask might just be too much for the usual picture. Plus it doesn't help that he has a Mimikyu, similar to how Jessie of Team Rocket has a Mimikyu.
HopNoA Friendly Rival competing in the Gym Challenge, likely to appear later on in the anime like Barry and Hau. Ash never had Rivals as companions.
BedeNoHe's a jerk of a Rival competing in the Gym Challenge, and Ash never had Rivals as companions.
MarnieNoShe's a Calm and calculative Rival competing in the Gym Challenge, despite having a Pikaclone as her ace. Ash never had Rivals as companions, and Marnie tends to be a lone wolf, constantly perused by the evil team.
I don't think that Allister having a Mimikyu should count against him, considering he could just not use one. Anime teams don't have to correlate 100% to their game teams. Also, they could make Nessa's outfit less revealing similar to what they did with Misty.

Misty was not known for a particularly warm nature, though. And what about being barefooted? She could be given shoes. Olivia was given a slight redesign in the anime. Or she likes to remain barefooted for large periods of time to build strength.

Your list feels too latched in patterns with a slight tingle of Gloria bias to me. I currently don’t think we know enough to tell who's going to be the companion. We don’t know enough so everyone can make a decent case for their favourite character being a companion, and their not-favourite character won’t become one.

——————

Well, a thought just crossed my mind, if a Gym leader is going to be the companion will they wear the semi-customised soccer uniform 24/7?
I'm not Gloria biased, she's somehow the only one that's likely that's all. I'm sure the anime could give them their unique clothes apart from their soccer wear.

I don't think that Allister having a Mimikyu should count against him, considering he could just not use one. Anime teams don't have to correlate 100% to their game teams. Also, they could make Nessa's outfit less revealing similar to what they did with Misty.

It's just a speculation, it's not all set in stone. I just thought you could look at it and see what we could likely get.

Personally it could be either one or the other at this point.

Here's mine:
VictorNoAsh fills in the role of the male protagonist every saga, so we probably won't see him.
GloriaMaybeThe female protagonist is not necessarily guaranteed to be a companion, and I don't know if she will become a companion.
SoniaNoShe is most likely too old to be a companion. I'm putting her likely age in her 20s.
MiloMaybeMilo will be the Brock/Cilan of the group if they make him a companion, but he may possibly be too old, although, unlike Sonia, he could pass as an older teenager.
NessaMaybeAll arguments against Nessa don't make sense. Like Milo, Nessa can pass for an older teenager, and they can always change her outfit to make it less revealing. However, her design is too overly complicated, especially for someone who would appear in every episode.
BeaMaybeBea is the complete opposite to all recent companions, being stoic and primarily focused on her training. She would be a breath of fresh air for the series, but I don't know if she could be a companion.
AllisterProbablyAllister has heavy gag potential and is also completely unique. No past companion is like him, and it would be refreshing to see something different for a change. The mask wouldn't be a problem, considering that he can most likely still emote (he has purple eyes that peer out of the mask's eye holes, these are shown in gameplay footage but not in his Ken Sugimori artwork)
HopNoHe's a friendly rival, although he could be a companion, I doubt that he would.
BedeNoHe's a jerk rival and he will most likely be Ash's primary rival this saga.
MarnieMaybeMarnie has higher ratings than other rivals due to possessing a Pikaclone, although Team Yell might be a problem for her inclusion.

Last edited:
Lil
Here's mine:
VictorNoAsh fills in the role of the male protagonist every saga, so we probably won't see him.
GloriaMaybeThe female protagonist is not necessarily guaranteed to be a companion, and I don't know if she will become a companion.
SoniaNoShe is most likely too old to be a companion. I'm putting her likely age in her 20s.
MiloMaybeMilo will be the Brock/Cilan of the group if they make him a companion, but he may possibly be too old, although, unlike Sonia, he could pass as an older teenager.
NessaMaybeAll arguments against Nessa don't make sense. Like Milo, Nessa can pass for an older teenager, and they can always change her outfit to make it less revealing.
BeaMaybeBea is the complete opposite to all recent companions, being stoic and primarily focused on her training. She would be a breath of fresh air for the series, but I don't know if she could be a companion.
AllisterProbablyAllister has heavy gag potential and is also completely unique. No past companion is like him, and it would be refreshing to see something different for a change. The mask wouldn't be a problem, considering that he can most likely still emote (he has purple eyes that peer out of the mask's eye holes, these are shown in gameplay footage but not in his Ken Sugimori artwork)
HopNoHe's a friendly rival, although he could be a companion, I doubt that he would.
BedeNoHe's a jerk rival and he will most likely be Ash's primary rival this saga.
MarnieMaybeMarnie has higher ratings than other rivals due to possessing a Pikaclone, although Team Yell might be a problem for her inclusion.
lillie did have a similar face to Bea when she was first revealed.

Perhaps this is a good time to speculate on which of the currently revealed Galar Pokemon Ash might catch? He'll be getting Grookey for sure, and I can see him getting a Drednaw as his Water-type if he doesn't get Sobble instead. I can also see him having Rolycoly and Wooloo.

Personally I think he'll get Sobble, and though I'd hope that would be the only starter he gets, I could see him getting Grookey too.
I could see him with Drednaw and it would be great if he caught one that could Gigantamax. He'd be repeating types, but he did have 3 flying types in Kalos, and they were able to make all of them feel distinct so they could do the same thing here.
I'd like to see him with Corviknight as it's a really cool looking Pokemon. Also, being able to Gigantamax is a bonus.
I kind of hope he'll catch a Galarian Zigzagoon, especially with it having a new final form in Obstagoon.

People are going to get mad once the Anime starts changing backstories. Like don't expect everything in the Anime to be similar to the games.
I'm trying not to get too hyped for what is going to be for the anime, I'm just hoping that it's watchable and good.

I kind of hope he'll catch a Galarian Zigzagoon, especially with it having a new final form in Obstagoon.
I really hope the game will release more pre/post-evolutions of older or ignored Pokemon. One of the reasons I liked Gen 4 a lot. That could also give Ash the opportunity to bring back some of his older Mons (imagine a Primeape evolution!).

Still a bit miffed about Obstagoon being a regional variant post-evolution though.

Right now, I think the most likely group is Ash, Gloria, and Milo.. Maybe Ash, Bea, and Milo.
That was my original guess. Which I still stand on in hunch and gutt feeling. I'm trying not to get too hyped for it in the fear of disappointment.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom