• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh There are two many pokemon

Prince Enos

Dat one witty boy
Reaction score
Okay so we have many animals and even items used for Pokemon. At this point I think the franchise is burned out. I'm sick of the same animals being used over and over again. Like we have 6 legendary dogs now and quote a few legendary birds. We Also did not need another sheep pokemon. I'm sorry Wooloo.

It's fine to use multiple animals of the same genus (or creatures based on similar concepts), but I can't think of any case where that impressed me. Just Moltres and Ho-Oh, due to the much different lore.

I mean, we have over 8 million unique species of animals, plants, etc. on Earth, with lots of different variation on the same "animals" (birds, bats, reptiles, etc.) Because of that, the amount of Pokemon we have even now has never really bothered me.
Not to mention there are still many animals and creatures that haven’t gotten made into Pokémon yet; cheetahs (unless you count Suicune as one), dolphins (unless you count Tapu Fini or Gorebyss), Velociraptor, the harpy, kelpies, the list goes on. There’s also some creatures that only have one Pokémon based on them for example, I’d really like to see another Unicorn Pokémon that isn’t just a variant of Rapidash someday. And yeah, there are a lot of repeated species like butterflies, fish, dogs, and cats but I think it’s fun to see how they change it up. For example, with the sheep lines, they’re mostly done in unique ways to make them stand out from one another. Mareep starts as an electric sheep but eventually turns into a bright yellow wool-less dragon-like thing, Cottonee is a cotton ball with leaf ears that evolves into a cotton ball ram, and Wooloo is a fluffy ball of sheep with a heart shaped nose that rolls away from conflict. They’re all cute and stand out from each other in unique ways so it’s more like they’re different species or breeds rather than just the same Pokémon with slightly different fur or colors.

Okay so we have many animals and even items used for Pokemon. At this point I think the franchise is burned out. I'm sick of the same animals being used over and over again. Like we have 6 legendary dogs now and quote a few legendary birds. We Also did not need another sheep pokemon. I'm sorry Wooloo.

You're free to not play the games if you're burnt out on them lol. As for the 6 Legendary Dogs, who would those be? I can only think of the two Galar wolves right now. And don't say the Johto Beasts because those ain't dogs no matter how people try to spin the fable that Entei (a lion) and Raikou (a tiger) have supposed dog-esque features that are apparently just invisible.

You're free to not play the games if you're burnt out on them lol. As for the 6 Legendary Dogs, who would those be? I can only think of the two Galar wolves right now. And don't say the Johto Beasts because those ain't dogs no matter how people try to spin the fable that Entei (a lion) and Raikou (a tiger) have supposed dog-esque features that are apparently just invisible.

He'll just say that Entei's a dog with a lion's mane and that Raikou's a dog with tiger stripes. :rolleyes:

And how is 800+ Pokemon too much? I get that the Dexit thing feels almost like punishment for there being too many Pokemon species, but over all I don't think that Gamefreak should slow down their production of new Pokemon just because of that.

He'll just say that Entei's a dog with a lion's mane and that Raikou's a dog with tiger stripes. :rolleyes:

And how is 800+ Pokemon too much? I get that the Dexit thing feels almost like punishment for there being too many Pokemon species, but over all I don't think that Gamefreak should slow down their production of new Pokemon just because of that.
Read my signature. Then come back to me.

So we clearly have morons here. (Insert stewie voice )
Guys. It's tiring. We don't need representation in every atom to exist. Hell game freak knows they are suffering an unhealthy burn out.

I get the sense that your frustration is more that the games are not as original as you'd like them to be with the creature design, which isn't really burnout. But as myself and others have stated (and you haven't really addressed yet):

A. There are tons of variations on the same species and oversimplifying by saying that they're all "dogs" and therefore bad isn't really being fair.
B. There are lots of animals and plants that haven't even been touched yet in the franchise.

Does Zygarde 10% form count as a dog?

Aaaanyway, yeah. I would have to agree that there definitely aren’t “too many Pokémon” if you’re basing that number on designs alone.

Maybe from an exclusively number-oriented perspective you could argue that there’s too many for younger kids to keep up with or for developers to feasibly fit into a game

As for “unoriginal design” arguments or (even worse) “they’re running out of ideas!!!1!1!”, I do t buy into that. That’s completely subjective and we’ve seen Pokémon inspired by a wide variety of both obscure and well-known creatures/myths alike. Plus now with regional variants, I think Pokémon is headed in a good direction with design choices.

Does anyone think the only broad-animal we don't yet have, is the dolphin?

Other than that, there are so many plants, like types of flowers and trees, even bushes, that Grass pokemon haven't even touched on.

But hey, I support having more objects as pokemon. Wouldn't mind another candle pokemon. Hopefully we get some clock pokemon this gen.

Hopefully Gen 8 will have some creative.

And we don't seem to have many Ghost pokemon that are gaseous.

Considering the sheer amount of animals that exist within our world (as some people have already pointed out in this thread), frankly, I don't think there's "too many Pokémon." In fact, and in a way, I feel like there aren't enough, as there are some animal species that haven't even been made into Pokémon still, despite the amount of potential they could have in terms of concept and design.

There's quite a lot of animals that would make for very interesting Pokémon. For instance, it'd be interesting to see more variations of a shark Pokémon, as there has only ever been one shark Pokémon (not counting Garchomp). As such, I think it'd be wonderful to see more Pokémon based off of a shark. I personally would love to see a Pokémon based off of the Nurse Shark.

With that being said, I wouldn't really say that they're burned out of the franchise or even "running out of ideas" by introducing more Pokémon of a certain species, especially since those same Pokémon were still based off of different things, be it in terms of subspecies, mythology, or perhaps even something else entirely. Saying that Game Freak is "getting burnt out" and/or "running out of ideas" simply because of Pokémon who share the same genus, while also simplifying their designs to "it's just a dog/cat/etc.", just feels unfair. There's more that goes into the design and even the concept of a Pokémon than just the animal it was based off of, although that's merely my opinion.

I actually think that there should be more new Pokemon, as in entirely new species. I hate regional variants because I believe that it's a lazy way of revamping older Pokemon in an attempt to make them more relevant while also serving as an excuse to create less original Pokemon.

I actually think that there should be more new Pokemon, as in entirely new species. I hate regional variants because I believe that it's a lazy way of revamping older Pokemon in an attempt to make them more relevant while also serving as an excuse to create less original Pokemon.
Meh, I think regional variants are more interesting than just receiving nothing but new pokemon every generation. It proves that they can extend their creativity to old pokemon too, and resembles the real world by showing variation within a species. Real life adaptations among related animals is pretty fascinating and it's nice to see the concept extended to pokemon as well.

Pokemon does a much better job with their variants than other series do, at least. Yokai Watch, Monster Rancher and Digimon all just slap a different color on the same design and give it a new name- it's an entirely new monster now, guys! Totes not a repaint! Yeah right. I'm glad that Pokemon at least goes the extra step of doing more than just recolors and does a decent job of explaining the changes for most of them, even if not all explanations are particularly satisfying (I'm looking at you, Alolan Raichu. >.>)

I don't agree with the idea that there's too many Pokemon, in fact, I still believe it's quite opposite. What we need are more original Pokemon, there are already many cats and dogs as Pokemon. I want them to create Pokemon from creatures that didn't receive a Pokemon version of themselves yet, and there are still a lot of those. While killer whales/orcas are dolphins, I think the dolphin Pokemon that's desired is more like a bottlenose dolphin.

I hate regional variants because I believe that it's a lazy way of revamping older Pokemon in an attempt to make them more relevant while also serving as an excuse to create less original Pokemon.

I strongly disagree with this statement. It's not lazy to try and reimagine an old Pokémon species. In fact, I'd say it takes a lot of effort and creativity to not only come up with a new design for a previously introduced species, but to also do it so that it fits with the environment it's in in a realistic/reasonable manner (most of the time, at least), while also making sense in-universe.

And besides, compare regional variants to their original forms. Different appearances, different types/type combinations, different abilities, different stats, different movepools and, in some cases, different evolutionary methods. These aren't old Pokémon disguised as new ones. Rather, they're new Pokémon dressed up as old ones.

I think the great thing about having multiple Pokémon based on the same type of animal or plant is that they give players options. If you don't like Crobat but still want to use a bat Pokémon, you can use Swoobat or Noivern instead, for example. Plus, in most cases there's generally enough differences between the Pokémon that they aren't carbon copies. And besides, it's realistic. There's not just one breed of dog or one species of snake or one type of butterfly etc.

In short, I don't think Pokémon based on the same animal are unoriginal nor do they mean the franchise is burnt out. Though I do hope that we'll see more designs based on things that don't already have a Pokémon counterpart in SwSh.

Are there a lot of Pokemon? Yes, 800+ is a lot of Pokemon.

Are there a lot of the same species of Pokemon? Yes, but as others have said, there's more than one breed of animals, so to speak. There's several different breeds of dogs, cats, birds, snakes, etc. Just because we have one doesn't mean we can't have another, and even if we do have one, they may even come up with another way to do that one because there's even characteristics of the animals that can be put into play and represented with the Pokemon instead of just "oh hey look, it's a dog, here's a dog Pokemon but there's nothing special about it, it's just a dog."

Is it burnt out? Ehhhh, maybe? I don't think it's so much burnout as much as it is coming up with fresh new ideas and not giving other Pokemon or animals the representation they deserve. With over 800 Pokemon, I can see how it can be a struggle to find something that hasn't already been represented before in the games, come up with a unique design for it, and then put all of that into action in the time frame they're given to get these games out, which is about a year or two tops at this point.

Would I like to see them put more time into the games and not release them as frequently? Yes, so that they have more time to develop and give people what they want and perhaps not have to remove things, like the National Dex. Would I like to see other animals get representation in the games? Yes, but also I understand that they may not be able to come up with cool, creative designs at this time and therefore have to put it off until the next games or the games after that. Would I like to see other, lesser known Pokemon get some love? 100% yes, Pikachu's cool and all, but there's 799+ other Pokemon besides him. I think the regional variants are helping with that, and I think it also shows another side of the Pokemon world and also the world in general; in the real world, animals adapt to the environment they're in, so of course Pokemon are going to do the same.

tl;dr yes, there's a lot of pokemon with similar species, but there's also a lot that goes into the creation of a pokemon and sometimes it may just be easier to add another pokemon of the same species than to come up with an idea for a new species to add in because they just can't at that time for whatever reason.

Are there a lot of Pokemon? Yes, 800+ is a lot of Pokemon.
But if you look at type combos, we relatively are not even distributed.

If you go through DeviantArt, you can see so many fan-made Grass/Fire type pokemon, which we currently have none.

Even multiple fan art of Grass/Rock or Rock/Grass pokemon that are either a "rocky plant" or "planty rock" in which our only Rock/Grass pokemon is a sea anemone, which is more of an animal than a plant.

Gen 6 was great in that it was the 1st time they evenly distributed pokemon by primary elements, i.e., besides the Water starters, we only got Clauncher/Clawitzer as Water typings primary. And it was also great in that we lost some primary Normal types to Fairy types which helped even things out a little bit.

But if you look at type combos, we relatively are not even distributed.

If you go through DeviantArt, you can see so many fan-made Grass/Fire type pokemon, which we currently have none.

Even multiple fan art of Grass/Rock or Rock/Grass pokemon that are either a "rocky plant" or "planty rock" in which our only Rock/Grass pokemon is a sea anemone, which is more of an animal than a plant.

Gen 6 was great in that it was the 1st time they evenly distributed pokemon by primary elements, i.e., besides the Water starters, we only got Clauncher/Clawitzer as Water typings primary. And it was also great in that we lost some primary Normal types to Fairy types which helped even things out a little bit.

You're right, there are a lot of type combos that aren't out there yet, and there's certainly not an even distribution between types. To be honest, I don't think there ever will be an even distribution among types. I think it's safe to say that most of the Pokemon world is water (almost like our world!), so it makes sense that there's going to be an abundance of Water types.

I don't think even distribution of types is as much of a problem as creating Pokemon with types that have unique typings, like Grass/Fire. I think it's just a struggle to do those things because I'm sure they're aware people are out there creating fan art and designing their own Pokemon that they'd love to see in the games, but they can't really just take those designs and put them into the games because then there's plagiarism and that opens up a whole can of worms that no one wants to open. I think it's just a matter of creating a unique Pokemon that also has unique typings that someone else hasn't already created. I would love to see more unique typings out there too, and hopefully they'll start releasing more soon in newer gens.

For what it's worth though, 800+ Pokemon is a lot, like I said, but I'm also not against the idea of adding more. I just want them to come up with unique designs of Pokemon and unique typings, even if that means we get monkey Pokemon #9000 or dog Pokemon #9000 or whatever other species we already have a bunch of.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom