• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another thing is that its not only dropping Ash. Its dropping the TRio as well in the process, not to speak about all the Pokemon they have caught. Just like Pikachu, Ash and the TRio are also the faces of the franchise and can more or less be considered side-mascots/human mascots.
Not to mention all the character development that those other Pokemon of theirs got, to throw it all away without a proper conclusion (which Alola isn't).

Perhaps the none inclusion of the Gen 8 Pokemon for the anime and movie is a way of surprising us, and let me tell you, it is agonising the wait.

Any reason to believe they don't (at least when it comes to most of the series)? 'Cause XY kind of disproves that notion. Since as early on as it's debut, Goodra was shown to have somewhat of a tragic backstory, meaning that they had some kind of plan regarding its character, its past, the way it will affect its arc and its story overall. Ash-Greninja and the Team Flare crisis were both foreshadowed via Olympia's visions months before their respective debuts, so they clearly had some ideas regarding those two and what to do with them. Heck, one could even make the argument that the Mega Evolution Specials themselves are proof that the anime crew plans ahead, since they build up Alain, Lysander, Team Flare and their plans long before they're even introduced in the main series (and the anime even uses elements from the specials in the Team Flare climax, such as the Megalith, Steven Stones, Chespie's coma etc.). So, again, is there any reason to believe that they've never planed a story or even an entire series ahead before? 'Cause it really looks like you're giving the anime crew way too little credit.
It's clear that Ash's story isn't built up fully and planned with their being so many inconsistencies throughout the whole Anime. For example, We are not even 30% into BNHA, but Horikoshi already has an idea of how the climax will be at the end. The Pokémon Anime with regular staff changes, jarring transistions, absolutely atrocious continuity, its clear they have nothing planned for the end. Absolute confusion among the staff themselves which even led to the Original Pokemon Writer, Takeshi Shudo leaving the series. I'm not saying that they don't plan anything in the series. Building up a story like you mention with the Specials in XY is nothing special and average writing at best, of course maybe not for a Pokémon Series tho ‍♂️.
The best thing would be a reboot and no more Ash. The Main problem of Pokémon anime is the Main Character that is Ash. He have to many resets, never grows (still 10 years old) and the plot always make an excuse so he can't win a league. The 2 times he could win a league the plot was against him (DP and XY) and in both times he got a complete reset (BW and SM). Well he also have other feats like winning the Battlefrontier and Orange league (that one is not that important) but instead of using that as correct ending, they decide that he must win a region league.
Because of those problems is much better to not have Ash, the only important character would be just Pikachu. The best thing should use the original games MCs as the Main Characters of the reboot anime. Pokémon Origins was much better than the anime with Ash.
BF was imo the best achievement so far and I don't think even if he had won any of the Pokémon Leagues, nothing would have really bet that. I don't think that Ash wi be dropped, that is almost impossible even if he had won any previous leagues After-DP except Alola. Its impossible at this point. But I can see the AU Ash as Protagonist for the Next Series.

Yet

most of the regions are very far away indeed.

Ash Required Ferry for the first 4 Regions, whilst the next 4 is by plane. With Galar, I reckon most will be travelled by plane, with the exception for Kalos which shall be by train.
The other regions after Sinnoh are based on lands far away from Japan so that made sense.

Why is it that you have this odd and opposite... almost negative outlook, judging from your recent comments? I tried to ignore it the best I could but now I'm curious.

Damage control maybe? Including all of the regions and Pokemon seems to be an attempt to quell the Dexit controversy, though if it turns out to be a reset/reboot then it'll just be adding gasoline to the flames.
Not necessarily negative. But if I feel like I'll get disappointed by the next Anime, I'll be a fan of it once it comes out. That's always what happens for any Video Game or Anime I'm a fan of. That's the same mindset I've had for the XY & SM and I enjoyed both of them at the end.

Then again, that would happen even if they stay around after a hypothetical reboot.
The two Pokemon films just had Team Rocket in there, even the I choose You which, although a retelling of the first episode of the anime, never tells us of how or why they're following Ash.

Not to mention all the character development that those other Pokemon of theirs got, to throw it all away without a proper conclusion (which Alola isn't).

I don't even see how this really matters when they pretty much write off the majority of Ash's Pokemon after each saga by dumping them off at Oaks.

I don't even see how this really matters when they pretty much write off the majority of Ash's Pokemon after each saga by dumping them off at Oaks.
With XY, it was apparently an oversight that they didn't return. With SM, the league was much less competitive, much less the rest of the region and wasn't that focused on intense battles. Besides, we got a glimpse of older mons in the Kanto episode.

If anything, Galar is the perfect time to bring them back because of how heavy the battle focus is in the region, to the point there are sponsorship endorsements and full house Gym stadiums.

With XY, it was apparently an oversight that they didn't return. With SM, the league much less the rest of the region wasn't that heavy or focused on battles. Besides, we got a glimpse of older mons in that Kanto episode.

If anything, Galar is the perfect time to bring them back because of how heavy the battle focus is in the region, to the point there are sponsorship endorsements and full house Gym stadiums.

It wasn't an oversight in XY given what Ash said when he was talking to Goodra. As for the glimpses, it was mainly the Kanto ones due to the fact it was the 20th anniversary.

It wasn't an oversight in XY given what Ash said when he was talking to Goodra. As for the glimpses, it was mainly the Kanto ones due to the fact it was the 20th anniversary.
And probably a testing of waters for the Gen 8 anime. Gen 7 was to celebrate the first game, Gen 8 will be the entire series as a whole. It would also make a perfect excuse for Pokemon Masters as well.

And probably a testing of waters for the Gen 8 anime. Gen 7 was to celebrate the first game, Gen 8 will be the entire series as a whole. It would also make a perfect excuse for Pokemon Masters as well.

No, I doubt it had much to do with that.

It was the 20th anniversary, so they showed Pokemon mainly from season one.

No, I doubt it had much to do with that.

It was the 20th anniversary, so they showed Pokemon mainly from season one.
Yet, the new series did stated that although the story will take place in Galar, it will also be set in all 7 of the past Regions. it never said anything about it being a reboot or remake, just the all 8 Regions thing. Ash travelling through Galar and also visiting the past Regions is the only option that seems to work better and makes sense.

Yet, the new series did stated that although the story will take place in Galar, it will also be set in all 7 of the past Regions. it never said anything about it being a reboot or remake, just the all 8 Regions thing. Ash travelling through Galar and also visiting the past Regions is the only option that seems to work better and makes sense.
However, the only way I can see that working is if they bring back SM's slice of life school setup.

However, the only way I can see that working is if they bring back SM's slice of life school setup.
Though what if it's a World Cup type of theme. A League of Champions since Ash would become Champion of Alola.

Aside from that, we won't know until 29th.

Yeah, which doesn't mean anything since we don't even know if Ash's old Pokemon will exist in the next series. And yes, while they never said reboot, the fact they are using AU movie title and making a big deal out of it says a lot to me.

It's clear that Ash's story isn't built up fully and planned with their being so many inconsistencies throughout the whole Anime. For example, We are not even 30% into BNHA, but Horikoshi already has an idea of how the climax will be at the end.

Well, technically, they did come up with a few ideas on how Ash's journey would've ended (like the Pokémon revolution or old man Ash reminiscing about his "childhood adventures", with Pokémon turning out to be figments of his imagination (which, apparently, were all Shudo's original ideas for how the series should've ended)). They just eventually decided to not use those ideas and, instead, keep the anime going (probably because of its popularity or the profits garnered from it advertising the games and the merchandise or some other reason).

As for how it compares to My Hero Academia... I wouldn't know, since I haven't watched that show yet.

Absolute confusion among the staff themselves which even led to the Original Pokemon Writer, Takeshi Shudo leaving the series. I'm not saying that they don't plan anything in the series.

Do you actually have a source for that? Or some kind of proof? Because, from what I've come across, there's no clear explanation as to why he left the Pokémon anime, with the best I've found being that it was due to health issues. And, unless you've got proof that the reason he actually left was because of the rest of the staff's incompetence and disorganization, I find it hard to believe that that's actually the case.

Building up a story like you mention with the Specials in XY is nothing special and average writing at best, of course maybe not for a Pokémon Series tho ‍♂.

Whether it's incredible or average or well written or terrible or nothing special or whatever is beside the point. You claimed (or, at the very least, implied) that the anime's staff is incapable of planning a story or a series ahead. Nowhere did you mention the quality of the story or of the execution. All you said was "bold of you to assume that they actually plan ahead". To which I counter by saying that there're instances where the writers seem to have planed a story ahead. In this case, whether it was done well or not is irrelevant.

Also (and I hope it's just a mistype on your part, but just in case it isn't) wtf are you even trying to say/imply with that male sign?

So, can we be sure this new thing "announced" will be the [next] main anime or might just turn to be a Generations or Origins?

So, can we be sure this new thing "announced" will be the [next] main anime or might just turn to be a Generations or Origins?
It's going to be the next Anime series. Although with all the complications it seems to arise with what it might be if it comes to it being a reboot. no reboot nor remake is ever mentioned, except for the fact that, although the story will take place in Galar, it'll also be set in the past 7 Regions. It could be Ash competing in a League of Champions of which will be a worldwide event, a world cup sort of thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom