• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview SM139: Birth! The Alola Champion!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The new titles (mostly 142 and the conspicuous lack of 141) and various other factors have me leaning very slightly towards Ash winning. I can't really explain it coherently because it's working out in my mind like one of those scenes where a character is trying to figure out exactly how much someone else knows that he knows, if you get my drift.

This guy went from writing fillers in early 2017 to writing 4 league episodes including the finals just 2 years later. I wish the career ladder worked like that in my country...

So it seems the final battle is indeed Lycanroc vs Lycanroc. Also, there haven't been any menctions of Zoroark's Illusion but I'm sure it will be used.

This guy went from writing fillers in early 2017 to writing 4 league episodes including the finals just 2 years later. I wish the career ladder worked like that in my country...

I think he just has dirt on the other writers/producers or else money might've exchanged hands, 'cause his climb from writing crappy filler episodes to writing crappy league episodes seems surprisingly quick.

Either way, he's probably pulled a few gags from his big bag of tricks in preparation for this episode; get ready for Gladion's Lycanroc to 'faint' and for Ash to almost be declared the winner only for Gladion's Lycanroc to get back up at the last minute because it was either asleep or just pretending to faint. Same shit, different day.

Last edited:
I was one of the few people who didn't mind the Hau battle so I'm not too bothered by this Fujisaku writing this episode (nor do I ever pay much attention to who writes an episode) but even if I was, I'd judge this episode on its own merits. It seems so many people have already made up their mind that this episode and the previous one will be the worst thing ever, when they haven't even aired yet.

Given the writer's track record, I think they're justified in their thoughts.
But someone who tends to write bad/mediocre stuff can still write something good or at least something decent. Maybe he's pulling out all the stops and delivering his best work yet here, who knows. I just wish more people would keep an open mind about this instead of already being sure that these episodes are going to be bad no matter what. We won't know for sure until the episodes air.

Zoroark vs Pikachu sounds like it'll be boring since Zoroark is such a gimmicky battler with its Illusion ability. I'm so not eager for the finale.

I'm not going to give Fujisaku the benefit of the doubt when (to me) he's effed up practically every single episode that he's ever written. I believe that actions speak louder than words, and Fujisaku's track record is unfortunately against him after the Soak and Rowlet fiasco and all the other crap that he's written. He deserves the backlash that he's received and y'all won't convince me otherwise. #SorryNotSorry

tw3ywYj.jpg

I'm not going to give Fujisaku the benefit of the doubt when (to me) he's effed up practically every single episode that he's ever written.
It's the battle episodes that he's messed up. Slice of life has been his forte, I personally enjoyed that baseball episode he wrote.

I was one of the few people who didn't mind the Hau battle so I'm not too bothered by this Fujisaku writing this episode (nor do I ever pay much attention to who writes an episode) but even if I was, I'd judge this episode on its own merits. It seems so many people have already made up their mind that this episode and the previous one will be the worst thing ever, when they haven't even aired yet.

Well, based on this specific writer's résumé, can you blame people? Counting only his previous battle episodes, he wrote:
  • an episode where Pikachu, after being severely beaten up by Jessie's Mimikyu, not only manages to learn Elecrtoweb while the latter is beating the living **** out of him via its exclusive Z-move and unconsciously use that newly learned move as a shield in order to protect himself from Mimkyu's Z-move (which somehow works, despite the fact that Z-moves are so powerful that they're even able to break through Protect), but also defeats it by using an as-of-yet unexplained, miraculous and overpowered Z-move due to Ash's Electrium Z magically morphing into an entirely new and undiscovered type of Z-crystal that is somehow exclusive to him and only him;
  • an episode whose battle can be summed up as two magnetic/metalic Pokémon butting heads while exchanging magnetic hair;
  • a grand trial episode where half of the episode is spent on Ash and the classmates' comical slice of life-style buffoonery while the other half is spent on a mediocre battle that ends with Pikachu, again being pushed into a corner, only for him to defeat a Ground-type Pokémon by using his Gigavolt Havoc by pulling one of the stupidest, most nonsensical and plot device-y "strategies", the likes of which haven't been seen since the OS era (back when such things were barely excusable due to the Early Installment Weirdness trope (also, did I mention that this was supposed to be a grand trial episode));
  • the league's Battle Royal episode, which can be described as a lackluster collection of quick battles in which Ash and company one-shot opponents that generally happen to somehow be of a type that is weak to their Pokémon's type (with few exception, and even those exceptions get one-shot as well);
  • the ending to the Hau vs Ash battle, which multiple people (including myself) already explained why it's atrocious on the forums, but, to give a short explanation, it heavily contradicted Rowlet's "character" at that point, since it was the one who asked Ash to have it fight Decidueye and it was apparently even shown to be fired up about the battle, yet somehow that didn't make it care enough about the match to be awake during it and, throughout most of that match, Decidueye was pummelling and hitting it nonstop, while it barely landed any hits, making the outcome illogical;
Couple all that with the fact that this episode was made long before Japan's Pokémon fanbase started to make him aware of his poor writing when it comes to battles (meaning that he had no reason to change or improve his writing style when it comes to battles) and I'd say that people's negative outlook on this episode (as well as the previous one) are more than justified.

It's the battle episodes that he's messed up. Slice of life has been his forte, I personally enjoyed that baseball episode he wrote.

SM039 is one of my favorite episodes from him, I don't mind it if he handles the more relaxed episodes with a family touch

Well, based on this specific writer's résumé, can you blame people? Counting only his previous battle episodes, he wrote:
  • an episode where Pikachu, after being severely beaten up by Jessie's Mimikyu, not only manages to learn Elecrtoweb while the latter is beating the living **** out of him via its exclusive Z-move and unconsciously use that newly learned move as a shield in order to protect himself from Mimkyu's Z-move (which somehow works, despite the fact that Z-moves are so powerful that they're even able to break through Protect), but also defeats it by using an as-of-yet unexplained, miraculous and overpowered Z-move due to Ash's Electrium Z magically morphing into an entirely new and undiscovered type of Z-crystal that is somehow exclusive to him and only him;
  • an episode whose battle can be summed up as two magnetic/metalic Pokémon butting heads while exchanging magnetic hair;
  • a grand trial episode where half of the episode is spent on Ash and the classmates' comical slice of life-style buffoonery while the other half is spent on a mediocre battle that ends with Pikachu, again being pushed into a corner, only for him to defeat a Ground-type Pokémon by using his Gigavolt Havoc by pulling one of the stupidest, most nonsensical and plot device-y "strategies", the likes of which haven't been seen since the OS era (back when such things were barely excusable due to the Early Installment Weirdness trope (also, did I mention that this was supposed to be a grand trial episode));
  • the league's Battle Royal episode, which can be described as a lackluster collection of quick battles in which Ash and company one-shot opponents that generally happen to somehow be of a type that is weak to their Pokémon's type (with few exception, and even those exceptions get one-shot as well);
  • the ending to the Hau vs Ash battle, which multiple people (including myself) already explained why it's atrocious on the forums, but, to give a short explanation, it heavily contradicted Rowlet's "character" at that point, since it was the one who asked Ash to have it fight Decidueye and it was apparently even shown to be fired up about the battle, yet somehow that didn't make it care enough about the match to be awake during it and, throughout most of that match, Decidueye was pummelling and hitting it nonstop, while it barely landed any hits, making the outcome illogical;
Couple all that with the fact that this episode was made long before Japan's Pokémon fanbase started to make him aware of his poor writing when it comes to battles (meaning that he had no reason to change or improve his writing style when it comes to battles) and I'd say that people's negative outlook on this episode (as well as the previous one) are more than justified.
My point is not that people can't have negative feelings about this episode or its writer. My point is that everyone is freaking out and already being dead set in their belief that these episodes won't be anything other than bad or terrible. That, in my opinion is not a healthy attitude to have. I can completely understand being bummed by a writer who has dissappointed people being attached to this episode, but it doesn't automatically mean that these two episodes are going to be the worst thing ever. No one has a crystal ball.

I think you all are overestimating the "backlash" his battle episodes received. So a bunch of 30 year olds are going on a message board to complain about an episode they all bootlegged in the first place. Why should the showrunners give a shit?
I think you're underestimating the backlash against him. I've seen several Japanese outlets that have criticized the Ash vs. Hau battle and depicting it to be one of the worst fake out (and writing in general) moments.
You can't be serious...They're giving the biggest battle of the league to Fujisaku. Why!? Just why!?
Like @Lover described earlier, it could be a variety of reasons with bribery being the most possible. How else could a slice-of-life filler writer suddenly be promoted to a lead writer of sorts when it comes to battles? And it's not like he's been around long, only having started writing for Gen 7. I doubt he even knows the general concept behind Pokemon battling.
My point is not that people can't have negative feelings about this episode or its writer. My point is that everyone is freaking out and already being dead set in their belief that these episodes won't be anything other than bad or terrible. That, in my opinion is not a healthy attitude to have. I can completely understand being bummed by a writer who has dissappointed people being attached to this episode, but it doesn't automatically mean that these two episodes are going to be the worst thing ever. No one has a crystal ball.
Assuming that he learnt from his mistakes from the major backlash to SM133. Me and many others though won't get our hopes up though, because there's bound to be at least a few gimmicks in those two episodes. For example, according to the previews, it seems like Melmetal and Silvally will be sent out first only to have Melmetal lose very quickly after its evolution. Like, what was the point?

One can only look forward to the two episodes written by Tomioka, at least the season might end on a better note.

We may not have a crystal ball, but we do have the preview summaries, and in my opinion, Melmetal getting beaten in its first post-evolution battle by a Pokémon that's then beaten by Pikachu sounds like pure Fujisaku.

Some writers can use the experience from past episodes to improve so there is every chance of the episode coming out better than we expect

Some writers can use the experience from past episodes to improve so there is every chance of the episode coming out better than we expect
8KTtscB.jpg

He had so many chances to do better after his previous hiccup.
I guess he did become better...
...better at making his subsequent battle episodes worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom