• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Camping and Cooking

Reaction score
EDs-mvAW4AILZP3

As we all know, one of the new features that have been showed during the Nintendo Direct is the ability to camp with your Pokémon everywhere, allowing you to interact and play with them with different toys.

You can also gather ingredients in the overworld to cook a Galarian specialty called “curry”, engaging the player with some mini games to prepare the perfect dish. Depending from the ingredients and berries used to prepare the curry, you can discover different recipes which will have different effects — like healing HP and giving EXP — and that can be archived in the CurryDex, in a way not too different from Pokémon Quest and its collection of recipes.

It is also possible to visit the campsites of other players, in which you can let your Pokémon interact with theirs, or prepare some curry together.

So, what are your opinions about this feature? Nice upgrade of Pokémon Amie / Refresh or unnecessary addition?

Last edited:
It seems like they're bringing previous game mechanics, like how Berry Blending could be done up to four players in RSE. I like it :)

I wonder if there will be a Curry Master that moves from campsite to campsite once in a while and when you cook with the Curry Master you get to taste the Ultimate Curry :D

They're literally amazing and (aside from the great looking customization) I'm looking forward to them more than anything.

That fact that you can literally set up camp with your whole team and let them chill out together and play is like a dream come true. It adds life to the game that often feels like it's just battle and move on, battle and move on. And in a region so focused on the gyms and battling, it's great to see this here. I like that the Pokemon can interact and be friends, but now what I really wonder is if they can actually have poor relationships with each other? Can Pokemon on your team be aggressive toward each other? Will certain Pokemon be more distant? I'm a bit curious.

Curry making looks really fun. Again, ti's great that your Pokemon take part in it as well. Seeing the Pokemon and trainer cooking and eating together is super cute. I mean, look at these faces.
images

I was expecting the cooking to be something very basic like Pokeblocks, Poffins or those juices from HGSS. It is cool to hear that there is a large amount of recipes and the pictures of the food actually looks appetizing too.

but now what I really wonder is if they can actually have poor relationships with each other? Can Pokemon on your team be aggressive toward each other? Will certain Pokemon be more distant? I'm a bit curious.

This brings up an interesting question. Will pokemon with established rivalaries like Seviper and Zangoose fight each other at the camp? Maybe natures and characteristics could determine how they act and get along.

This completely and totally outstrips Amie and Refresh. Instead of your Pokémon being confined to standing around in some claustrophobic virtual Playskool realm, they get to stretch their muscles, running around and playing in the open, and not just with you, but with the rest of your team. In crisp HD graphics. It's :bulbaLove:

I liked the XY minigames that would reward you with Poké Puffs, but Curry-making seems far more in-depth, and is more organically integrated into the feature (you would be making some kind of food while camping, whereas XY's minigames were just generic timed challenges with no particular theme, and it also acts as a fun collectathon side-quest - I wonder if there's a reward for completing the Curry Dex). In general it just feels a lot more life-like; I know SM tried to capture some such feeling by displaying the battle backgrounds in Refresh, but even that still boiled down to petting your Pokémon on a small cramped screen, and it didn't have minigames of any kind, so it got suuuuper repetitive. The multiplayer aspects of Camping also look great, adding yet another noncompetitive social layer to the games. Getting to interact with other players' Pokémon, and helping them make better curries in a manner reminiscent of Pokéblocks/Poffins, is such a cool way to expand on the comparatively very simplistic element of Amie where other players' Pokémon would visit yours as a sprite on the passive bottom screen. I can't wait to try this out.

Since we can visit others' campsites, I wonder if we'll be able to customize stuff like our campsite location or our tents? Would be nice, and would make every player's camp a bit more unique.

This looks super cute, and I'm excited to see if there's any new animations for the Pokemon when we play with them!

This brings up an interesting question. Will pokemon with established rivalaries like Seviper and Zangoose fight each other at the camp? Maybe natures and characteristics could determine how they act and get along.

Oooh, that would all be so cool. They made sure to program Zangoose and Seviper to fight each other in horde battles, so it would be cool if the same thing happened with camp for any Pokemon with those kinds of relationships. Like Durauldon and Tyranitar who are also said to battle each other. :bulbaLove:

Secret Bases are back (sort of) as well as berry block making with multiple people makes a triumphant return in the form of curry making with your Pokemon even nervously watching your PC eat.

Overall great reveal. If nothing else about these games, we at most have Gen 3/6 levels of player communication again. And that’s wonderful.

Pokémon Amie/Refresh was an amazing leap, in my opinion, in the world of bonding with your Pokémon. I find that I’m more connected to my Pokémon in gen 6-7 games because of Amie/Refresh. The fact that GameFreak expanded the mechanic into Camp is wonderful, though I do hope we can still pet our Pokémon and feed them treats like in Amie/Refresh.

With that scene with all the eeveelutions, it looks like you can camp with more than just your party members? That looks cool! This is a really neat feature but it would be better if you can bring any pokemon you want into camp, and not just only those that are in the Galar dex.

Mezase CURRY MASTER!!! Looking forward to making some super spicy curry using only Cheri Berries. It'll be interesting to see the kind of curry you can make with super rare Berries like the Starf Berry or the Enigma Berry too. I also love how the Pokémon are included in the cooking process too as opposed to the Poffin making in previous games, it really makes it feel more like you're on a camping trip with all your Pokémon friends. On top of that curry is my favorite real life food, so this feature is one I'm so excited for :3

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom