• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Villain Team Speculation

Now now, I took some of them seriously. Like realistic crime boss Giovanni, mentally disturbed so wants to create their own ideal world Cyrus, and holy crap this man is feking evil Dennis Ghetsis. The others I'm not as impressed with, but still find them varying levels of entertaining.
Well, I gotta admit that Plasma was an actual threat, however: Team Rocket stopped being threatening after Giovanni left. Maxie and Archie were stupid enough to not know they were ending the world (seriously), Plasma was full of idiots, something that Cyrus himself recognizes, and he was willing to sacrifice them once they outlived their usefulness (including the admins, I guess), and Team Flare was a complete mess.

I guess they realized that nobody takes villain teams seriously.

Of course, they do all get constantly outwitted by 12-year-olds. It is a bit difficult to buy someone as a hardened master criminal when their warped moral code gives them no compunctions about animal abuse and enacting apocalyptic levels of destruction but not about just physically beating the kid who wanders into their base and tells them to stop what they're doing.

I appreciate that Ghetsis just straight-up tried to off you the second time, and that Lusamine just said "fuck it" when she lost to you and jumped into the wormhole anyway.

I think that another thing to consider is that the "incompetent villain team" has been part of Japanese entertainment since at least the 70's. Examples include the Dorombo Gang from Yatterman, that one evil team from Flint the Time Detective, and those guys from Mon Colle Knights.

Of course, they do all get constantly outwitted by 12-year-olds. It is a bit difficult to buy someone as a hardened master criminal when their warped moral code gives them no compunctions about animal abuse and enacting apocalyptic levels of destruction but not about just physically beating the kid who wanders into their base and tells them to stop what they're doing.

I appreciate that Ghetsis just straight-up tried to off you the second time, and that Lusamine just said "fuck it" when she lost to you and jumped into the wormhole anyway.

Ghetsis also threatens to kill/assaults Lillie after you beat him in USUM. The ninja triad also forces you around a couple times without letting you try to battle, iirc. Gen 5 probably had the most serious villains at the top even if the grunts were really annoying and their plans made the least sense.

My understanding of most of the other villain teams is that the economy is pretty messed up in the Pokemon world, so most of the grunts in gens 1-4 are probably just doing what they do for money reasons. They're paid to defend the base or whatever, but once they are beaten they aren't going to try and do fist-of-cuffs with a kid who has a fire breathing monster. And it just really doesn't seem in-character for any of the other characters to act like Ghetsis when they lose.

Ghetsis also threatens to kill/assaults Lillie after you beat him in USUM. The ninja triad also forces you around a couple times without letting you try to battle, iirc. Gen 5 probably had the most serious villains at the top even if the grunts were really annoying and their plans made the least sense.

My understanding of most of the other villain teams is that the economy is pretty messed up in the Pokemon world, so most of the grunts in gens 1-4 are probably just doing what they do for money reasons. They're paid to defend the base or whatever, but once they are beaten they aren't going to try and do fist-of-cuffs with a kid who has a fire breathing monster. And it just really doesn't seem in-character for any of the other characters to act like Ghetsis when they lose.

Judging by the money that Gentlemen give after battle, evil teams would do better to just steal old rich folks than try world domination.
I think that the grunts are just people that when seeing themselves in a pack think they can bully everyone and have their way until someone - the player - appears and has the guts to tackle the issue. I believe that evil teams are actually just mobs with villanous or evil leaders...kinda like People's Republic of China or Russia. :unsure:

Last edited:
Gen 5 probably had the most serious villains at the top

Which is kind of ironic, given how absolutely ludicrous and comical Ghetsis's dress sense is. No one would look at him and think, "Yo, this dude means serious business," but then, I guess that must be the effect he's going for.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom