• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Were you reading the past posts at all?

also... 'I don't think?' I think by now that saying has gotten tiresome.

M20's original idea was to be a Sun and Moon movie with Ash reuniting with his old companions along with the new ones and going on an adventure, which was scrapped in favor to the one we now have. Also in Autumn 2017, there were talks that say that Ash will travel to past Regions, when all we had was Kanto. This scrapped idea was being saved for this new series. Yes, Serena, Mallow and Lillie are coming back, but NOT in Galar. They will be in their own regions of Kalos and Alola.
Then, how would they encounter Ash? Unless they decide to have separate episodes focusing on characters in other regions, that's not gonna work.

Then, how would they encounter Ash? Unless they decide to have separate episodes focusing on characters in other regions, that's not gonna work.
Simple... If this is going to be a sort of Champions World Cup that will take place in the other Regions before the finals that'll take place in Galar.

Those Pokemon could also be chosen because of marketability.

You obviously haven't read any of my past posts at all...

You just tell it's Ash's Pikachu... It's just a feeling you get when it comes to some of these things.

https://forums.bulbagarden.net/proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Farchive-media-0.nyafuu.org%2Fvp%2Fimage%2F1567%2F77%2F1567779836528.jpg&hash=a218466d21d1f70a766bda78140c74bb

Also, look at the bottom left and you see it being the same Pokemon logo the new series will be featuring.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81SaF5MSABL._SY606_.jpg

It's similar to the 2019 calender where in the foreground we have Pikachu and Torracat with Ash and Rowlit, whilst in the background you see Lillie and Snowy and Sophocles and Togedamoru. But yet those are already established since 2016 compared with this new 2020 one.

Looking at the previous Pokemon calendars, all of the featured Pokemon belong to one of the main characters. And in the rare cases that they didn't, they at least belonged to Pokemon of the current generation. This calendar is actually really good evidence that the new series isn't a reboot, because why would they show off an Alolan Vulpix in a new region with it's own regional variants unless it was reference to an existing character. Then a Kalos and a Sinnoh Pokemon that belong to other existing characters. This is way too specific to be a coincidence. I don't buy the "They're just showing off popular Pokemon" theory.

Were you reading the past posts at all?

also... 'I don't think?' I think by now that saying has gotten tiresome.

M20's original idea was to be a Sun and Moon movie with Ash reuniting with his old companions along with the new ones and going on an adventure, which was scrapped in favor to the one we now have. Also in Autumn 2017, there were talks that say that Ash will travel to past Regions, when all we had was Kanto. This scrapped idea was being saved for this new series. Yes, Serena, Mallow and Lillie are coming back, but NOT in Galar. They will be in their own regions of Kalos and Alola.

You don't know that.

The calendar also uses the title from movie 20 and 21 which is a separate timeline from the current one. For all we know, old companions may not even exist in the way we think of them.

You don't know that.

The calendar also uses the title from movie 20 and 21 which is a separate timeline from the current one. For all we know, old companions may not even exist in the way we think of them.

Or not... They're just using the same title used for the new series title because that's a redesign. They Never said anything about it being a reboot, re-imagining, AU or remake. Just that it will have all 8 Regions. One translator said that the story will take place in Galar, but will also be set in Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova, Kalos and Alola. It is a way to bring all people that have watched these old series back, and I think it's a very clever idea to do it. It wouldn't make any sense if the old companions were re-imagined to suit this AU Ash that we thought would could be.

You just tell it's Ash's Pikachu... It's just a feeling you get when it comes to some of these things.

https://forums.bulbagarden.net/proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Farchive-media-0.nyafuu.org%2Fvp%2Fimage%2F1567%2F77%2F1567779836528.jpg&hash=a218466d21d1f70a766bda78140c74bb

Also, look at the bottom left and you see it being the same Pokemon logo the new series will be featuring.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81SaF5MSABL._SY606_.jpg

It's similar to the 2019 calender where in the foreground we have Pikachu and Torracat with Ash and Rowlit, whilst in the background you see Lillie and Snowy and Sophocles and Togedamoru. But yet those are already established since 2016 compared with this new 2020 one.

also

M20's original idea was to be a Sun and Moon movie with Ash reuniting with his old companions along with the new ones and going on an adventure, which was scrapped in favor to the one we now have. Also in Autumn 2017, there were talks that say that Ash will travel to past Regions, when all we had was Kanto. This scrapped idea is being saved for this new series.

So don't give me that ''M20, M21'' argument because it has that same logo. The evidence is there in front of our very eyes. I was concerned for the series when I first heard the news, but now diving deep into it, I do not see this being as much of a reboot, as BW, XY or SM were to the original Japanese Ash from OS-DP. This heaved a sigh of relief to how it makes more sense that the other options we have speculated.

Last edited:
Or not... They're just using the same title used for the new series title because that's a redesign. They never said anything about it being a reboot nor a remake. Just that it will have all 8 Regions. One translator said that the story will take place in Galar, but will also be set in Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova, Kalos and Alola. It is a way to bring all people that have watched these old series back, and I think it's a very clever idea to do it..

also

So don't give me that ''M20, M21 argument because it has that same logo. The evidence is there in front of our very eyes.

If this is their intention, then using the AU movie logo makes zero sense. The AU movie logo helped separate the current series/movies from the AU timeline (even movie 22 doesn't use it). Using the logo as a way to link all the series is doing the opposite of what it was originally intended for.

If this is their intention, then using the AU movie logo makes zero sense. The AU movie logo helped separate the current series/movies from the AU timeline (even movie 22 doesn't use it). Using the logo as a way to link all the series is doing the opposite of what it was originally intended for.
It's just a logo. A revamp for the series usual logo they've been using for so long. It's no different to a product logo that companies keep changing every decade. It might be that the AU Ash only exists in the movies, whilst keeping the usual Ash for the Anime Series. Also, if you think about it when trying to bring back older Generations to the new anime, it wouldn't make any sense if the old companions were re-imagined to suit this AU Ash that we thought could be. Believe me, I was concerned for the series when I first heard the news, but now diving deep into it, I do not see this being as much of a reboot, as BW, XY or SM were to the original Japanese Ash from OS-DP. This heaved a sigh of relief to how it makes more sense that the other options we have speculated.

It's just a logo. A revamp for the series usual logo they've been using for so long. It's no different to a product logo that companies keep changing every decade. It might be that the AU Ash only exists in the movies, whilst keeping the usual Ash for the Anime Series. Also, if you think about it when trying to bring back older Generations to the new anime, it wouldn't make any sense if the old companions were re-imagined to suit this AU Ash that we thought could be. Believe me, I was concerned for the series when I first heard the news, but now diving deep into it, I do not see this being as much of a reboot, as BW, XY or SM were to the original Japanese Ash from OS-DP. This heaved a sigh of relief to how it makes more sense that the other options we have speculated.

Again, they could have just created an entirely new logo, but they didn't, they are using the one that helped separate the main line series from the new AU movie line. Using this logo while still under the current continuity just doesn't make sense to me. Also, I don't think you need to bring back old companions to bring back old viewers, movie 20 and 21 showed that you can still appeal to older fans, while doing something relatively fresh and different.

Again, they could have just created an entirely new logo, but they didn't, they are using the one that helped separate the main line series from the new AU movie line. Using this logo while still under the current continuity just doesn't make sense to me. Also, I don't think you need to bring back old companions to bring back old viewers, movie 20 and 21 showed that you can still appeal to older fans, while doing something relatively fresh and different.
Again, that calendar shows that this TV series will continue regardless of logo. You've got to remember that M20 came out July 2017, after SM first aired in November 2016 (8 months prior). It was clearly too late for them to change the SM logo at the time to suite the new movie one. And with there being plans to have Ash reunited with his old companions for the original draft, I could see them saving that for the new anime series with the new logo.

I am seeing this through business practice as well as what we have as clues and evidence.

Last edited:
I just had a thought. With the the series going back to the name "Pocket Monsters" it suggests a pretty dramatic change. Perhaps we're thinking a little too small. One of the things everyone (including myself) have been fearing is that the series might try to cram 8 generations worth of adventures into a single 3-year series, but I don't that's going to be the case. The Sword and Shield anime isn't just being renamed to "Pocket Monsters". I think the series is finally breaking away from the 3-year format. This new series will be ongoing, even as new Pokemon games come out, but It won't directly focus on any single generation. A better way to put it is that it CAN take place in any region, but they won't be shoved in your face for the sake of it.

I think each region will appear organically over the years rather than just being featured for a few episodes for nostalgia's sake. Judging by the calendar, I'd bet the start of the series will focus mostly on Alola and Galar, and maybe a bit of Kalos. Close to the Gen 4 remakes I would expect to see a full Sinnoh arc and so on. It will be more like a typical shonen where it's just meant to continue for a long time, going from arc to arc. Basically replace the 3-year per region formula with a long form show that can go in any direction, but will probably shift focus based on what's popular at the time. Example: Let's say the "Pokemon: Let's Go" games just came out, there would be a full arc in the show based in Kanto. Just a theory though.

As for whether it's a reboot or not, the M20 logo and the Pokemon featured on the calendar are both strong arguments either way. For me though, showing "Shiron", Sylveon, and Shaymin is a bit more tangible.

I just had a thought. With the the series going back to the name "Pocket Monsters" it suggests a pretty dramatic change. Perhaps we're thinking a little too small. One of the things everyone (including myself) have been fearing is that the series might try to cram 8 generations worth of adventures into a single 3-year series, but I don't that's going to be the case. The Sword and Shield anime isn't just being renamed to "Pocket Monsters". I think the series is finally breaking away from the 3-year format. This new series will be ongoing, even as new Pokemon games come out, but It won't directly focus on any single generation. A better way to put it is that it CAN take place in any region, but they won't be shoved in your face for the sake of it.

I think each region will appear organically over the years rather than just being featured for a few episodes for nostalgia's sake. Judging by the calendar, I'd bet the start of the series will focus mostly on Alola and Galar, and maybe a bit of Kalos. Close to the Gen 4 remakes I would expect to see a full Sinnoh arc and so on. It will be more like a typical shonen where it's just meant to continue for a long time, going from arc to arc. Basically replace the 3-year per region formula with a long form show that can go in any direction, but will probably shift focus based on what's popular at the time. Example: Let's say the "Pokemon: Let's Go" games just came out, there would be a full arc in the show based in Kanto. Just a theory though.

As for whether it's a reboot or not, the M20 logo and the Pokemon featured on the calendar are both strong arguments either way. For me though, showing "Shiron", Sylveon, and Shaymin is a bit more tangible.
Clearly sounds possible, but highly doubtful. Ash has been the mascot for the anime for too long to replace, they would choose to stay safe with him being around for a while yet. Also, it's never said that this will be a reboot or a remake (what most don't bother reading notr understanding). People are just thinking that because of the logo to the AU movie, when it could just be a revamp of the old logo.

Personally, calling the series ''Pocket Monsters'' is like a tribute series, showcasing all of Ash's adventures that he'd already gone in the past, and where he's going with Galar. It'll be like SM, but without the Slice of Life, and not just Kanto.

For how long it will be, we shall see.

Clearly sounds possible, but highly doubtful. Ash has been the mascot for the anime for too long to replace, they would choose to stay safe with him being around for a while yet. Also, it's never said that this will be a reboot or a remake (what most don't bother reading notr understanding). People are just thinking that because of the logo to the AU movie, when it could just be a revamp of the old logo.

Personally, calling the series ''Pocket Monsters'' is like a tribute series, showcasing all of Ash's adventures that he'd already gone in the past, and where he's going with Galar. It'll be like SM, but without the Slice of Life, and not just Kanto.

For how long it will be, we shall see.
Oh I'm sure they're keeping Ash, it's just not yet certain if it's AU or main series Ash. I just don't think the series will be a recap or "tribute". I think the reason for the name change is to give the writers more freedom and to keep the series running past the usual 3-year format. Instead of getting a new series for every game, the show will simply be know as "Pocket Monsters" from here on out.

Oh I'm sure they're keeping Ash, it's just not yet certain if it's AU or main series Ash. I just don't think the series will be a recap or "tribute". I think the reason for the name change is to give the writers more freedom and to keep the series running past the usual 3-year format. Instead of getting a new series for every game, the show will simply be know as "Pocket Monsters" from here on out.
A translator did say that the story will take place in Galar, but will also be set in the past 7 Regions, meaning that the main focus will be on Galar, but at times will focus on the other Regions. It's just the idea of an AU retelling just doesn't seem to make sense to me. Especially after 20 years of building up for the series and unanswered questions. Having the series end after Sun and Moon will just leave the series lacking for a proper sendoff. Most likely it'll be a continuation because it seems to make more sense and is a safer direction than trying something new like AU, Origins or Generations. It'll probably be Ash going to Galar, meeting his new companions and going on a journey. And because of some event, Ash will likely travel to the past regions to say hello to old friends.

Yes, Serena, Mallow and Lillie are coming back, but NOT in Galar. They will be in their own regions of Kalos and Alola.

You're passing off a theory as if it's a fact, which is kinda problematic since we don't know if those characters will be seen again in the new saga/series/whatever the hell we're getting in November. There's literally no evidence that it's going to happen and the theory didn't even have much support before the 2020 calendar cover was posted, but even the calendar isn't really solid evidence of what Pokemon we can expect to see among the cast since some of the previous calendars have had random Pokemon on them before. Like, we're better off reading tea leaves and gazing into crystal balls for all the good it'll do.

Here are the past PokeCalendars for reference. I'm trying to look up the previous ones in the meantime.

EDyZeaHWsAIu0Gq

EDyZeaHXkAEcKef

EDyZeaeX4AA9T8U

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom