• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Camping and Cooking

I'm pretty meh on the cooking. Camping looks like it might be the next iteration of amie and that has me a little intreaged. I still use refresh so a more complex version of that where pokemon also play with each other might be interesting.

On the other hand I've gone on a rant about how Pokemon can't decide of it wants to be a virtual pet simulator or an rpg. And from the looks of it they still can't but I guess in the grand scheme of things that's relatively minor.

Off topic, but my BFF and I hated her. She got in the way of things (like potentially trapping you) and since we had a guide, we knew which Pokémon were shadowed, her constant “mindflash” to tell you was irritating. My friend had chosen the name Yuki from the list of pre-selected names and I promptly dubbed her “Yucky” lol.
Can't really blame you. I liked her at first, it's just the constant replays that I started to dislike her.

I’d imagine that following Pokémon would be better in a game like SwSh because the region is designed around overworld encounters and a non-grind layout, reducing the chance of clutter and confusion.

Hm!! I am wondering now if that is part of why following seems to not be included. Maybe it was not making visual sense for the wild Pokemon to completely be ignoring the following Pokemon and vice versa?? Otherwise there would have had to be some interactions, but what would have worked?

Hm!! I am wondering now if that is part of why following seems to not be included. Maybe it was not making visual sense for the wild Pokemon to completely be ignoring the following Pokemon and vice versa?? Otherwise there would have had to be some interactions, but what would have worked?

I don’t think so as LGPE also has overworld encounters despite also having following Pokémon.

I love the role playing elements of camping--definitely looks like a good upgrade from amie and refresh. Interactions between your Pokemon will be the big thing to look for, I think. If there's a good deal of it it could be a very good feature. I'm not expecting Pokemon to develop relations with each other but it would be great if they did.

I'll have to see what kinds of effects curry can have before I decide one way or the other about it.

On the other hand I've gone on a rant about how Pokemon can't decide of it wants to be a virtual pet simulator or an rpg. And from the looks of it they still can't but I guess in the grand scheme of things that's relatively minor.
Why can’t it have elements of both? By definition an RPG has you playing the “role” of a character—in this case a Pokémon Trainer—so it makes sense that there would be “pet simulator” aspects as part of the role you’re playing.

As someone who loves to raise many Pokémon, to see them playing around more freely is amazing!!! Camp is such a nice feature :enzap:.
I will be bringing my Mawile and Hydreigon for some camping!!!

And, by the looks of it, it seems that it is possible to have more than 6 Pokémon on the field at the same time. I wonder if that is only restricted to when more than one player is at the camp. Hope not!!!

Why can’t it have elements of both? By definition an RPG has you playing the “role” of a character—in this case a Pokémon Trainer—so it makes sense that there would be “pet simulator” aspects as part of the role you’re playing.

It can have both, but there are consequences. I feel rather strongly that the pet simulator aspect of the game is one of the major factors that has affected the difficulty curve and the way people play the game.

Here's my example:

Back in red and blue I caught a Caterpie and raised it to be a butterfree. But it was not very long before I realized that it wasn't very good past a certain point in the game. So I boxed it. That's a very rpg like choose, if I have a sword in d&d that's +4 and I find a +5 sword I'm going to get rid of the +4 sword and I'm going to use the +5 sword.

Fast forward to sun and moon I caught a cutifly, it was adorable and I played with it a lot and really liked it, it evolved into Ribombee...but it was really under performing...but I kept using it anyways because I was attached to it. This is the equivalent of using the +4 sword because it looks cooler.

In order to make this kind of thing work the difficulty curve of sun and moon seemed to be adjusted so you could use those low power Pokemon that you might have gotten attached to. And if you do like more powerful pokemon you might find that the game is easier.

Tl;dr virtual pet simulators encourage people to become attached to certain creatures and use those even when there are better options. Where as most rpgs and even old pokemon games encouraged you to dump your old option when new better ones become available. And those ideologies are at odds and creating all kinds of issues.

Seeing as Pokemon has always placed an emphasis on bonding with your Pokemon in dialogue and story, I'm pretty sure that the gameplay would have always ended up letting it shape the difficulty curve, even without affection games introduced.

There's also all the in-game benefits from affection games, which generally serve to make a +4 sword a +5 just because the player thinks it looks cool.

Last edited:
In order to make this kind of thing work the difficulty curve of sun and moon seemed to be adjusted so you could use those low power Pokemon that you might have gotten attached to.

I don’t think the easier difficulty curve is owned to GameFreak wanting to make weaker Pokémon usable. I think it’s because the devs fear the target audience, kids, will grow bored and quit the games if they’re too difficult.

even old pokemon games encouraged you to dump your old option when new better ones become available.

I’ve never gotten that impression from the older Pokémon games, heck I’d say only LGPE encourages abandoning weaker, older ‘mons for stronger ones in my opinion. And that’s more so due to the candy system, focus on catching Pokémon, and CP than anything else.

Seeing as Pokemon has always placed an emphasis on bonding with your Pokemon, I'm pretty sure that the gameplay would have always ended up letting it shape the difficulty curve, even without affection games introduced.

There's also all the in-game benefits from affection games, which generally serve to make a +4 sword a +5 just because the player thinks it looks cool.

I would disagree that the affection mechanics really make up the difference. Affection just causes the player to rely more on luck since affection just improves the likelyhood of getting a crit or surviving at 1 hp.

I don’t think the easier difficulty curve is owned to GameFreak wanting to make weaker Pokémon usable. I think it’s because the devs fear the target audience, kids, will grow bored and quit the games if they’re too difficult.

I would say a little of colum A a little of Colum B on this one. But I can't prove anything beyond my own experience since I don't know what goes on in the dev room.

I’ve never gotten that impression from the older Pokémon games, heck I’d say only LGPE encourages abandoning weaker, older ‘mons for stronger ones in my opinion. And that’s more so due to the candy system, focus on catching Pokémon, and CP than anything else.

I guess I don't really see how you got that impression. LGPE has all sorts of ways to make Pokemon way stronger then they would be normally. I played with all kinds of weaker Pokemon in that game all the way through with no issues.

I guess I don't really see how you got that impression. LGPE has all sorts of ways to make Pokemon way stronger then they would be normally. I played with all kinds of weaker Pokemon in that game all the way through with no issues.

I meant that on a more same species basis rather than two different species. I feel the game encourages you to convert weaker Pokémon with lower CPs into candy to power up stronger ‘mons of the same species. It’s like obtaining two +4 swords, but one has a weaker modifier so you sell it. When I played LGE, it wasn’t uncommon for me to capture a Pokémon with higher CP than a member of the same species in my party, which I promptly dumped.

Affection just causes the player to rely more on luck since affection just improves the likelyhood of getting a crit or surviving at 1 hp.
And avoid attacks, and cure status conditions, and level up faster, granting it all-around better stats. Besides, Pokemon battles already have plenty of luck involved, especially when it comes to chances for status conditions.

I meant that on a more same species basis rather than two different species. I feel the game encourages you to convert weaker Pokémon with lower CPs into candy to power up stronger ‘mons of the same species. It’s like obtaining two +4 swords, but one has a weaker modifier so you sell it. When I played LGE, it wasn’t uncommon for me to capture a Pokémon with higher CP than a member of the same species in my party, which I promptly dumped.

Ahhh yes you're correct, that's also a Go issue as well and I feel like let's go inherited that issue when it tried to capitalize on Go's mechanics. I personally just ignored that and used the first pokemon of each species I caught. Proof I guess that everyone experiences these games differently.

I was referring more to abandoning a species of Pokemon for a species with better stats. But your point is taken.

And avoid attacks, and cure status conditions, and level up faster, granting it all-around better stats. Besides, Pokemon battles already have plenty of luck involved, especially when it comes to chances for status conditions.

I always forget that affection boosts exp. Status cureing is a non issue since items let you do that anyways. And dodging attacks are still luck based.

Of course by the same token this still means that the games are being made easier by the virtual pet mechanics just in a different way then I initially described.

To be clear, none of this is to say they should get rid of the virtual pet aspects of the game. Just that they need to take those sorts of things into consideration when balancing the game.

I think it's an over-glorified version of Amie/Refresh with a dash of My Pokemon Ranch thrown in. It won't amount to much in the grand scheme of things because most people will get bored with it a month or so after Shield & Sword are released, and I can already envision the inevitable 'Did you like Pokemon Camp?' thread containing overwhelmingly negative opinions about the feature once the honeymoon phase of the Shield & Sword hype period is over.

A fad is a fad and I just think it's funny that Gamefreak went with a curry and sausage dish when it comes to Galarian cooking, because I guess that they just had to find some way to add British cuisine stereotypes otherwise they wouldn't be fully satisfied.

It can have both, but there are consequences. I feel rather strongly that the pet simulator aspect of the game is one of the major factors that has affected the difficulty curve and the way people play the game.

Here's my example:

Back in red and blue I caught a Caterpie and raised it to be a butterfree. But it was not very long before I realized that it wasn't very good past a certain point in the game. So I boxed it. That's a very rpg like choose, if I have a sword in d&d that's +4 and I find a +5 sword I'm going to get rid of the +4 sword and I'm going to use the +5 sword.

Fast forward to sun and moon I caught a cutifly, it was adorable and I played with it a lot and really liked it, it evolved into Ribombee...but it was really under performing...but I kept using it anyways because I was attached to it. This is the equivalent of using the +4 sword because it looks cooler.

In order to make this kind of thing work the difficulty curve of sun and moon seemed to be adjusted so you could use those low power Pokemon that you might have gotten attached to. And if you do like more powerful pokemon you might find that the game is easier.

Tl;dr virtual pet simulators encourage people to become attached to certain creatures and use those even when there are better options. Where as most rpgs and even old pokemon games encouraged you to dump your old option when new better ones become available. And those ideologies are at odds and creating all kinds of issues.
As mentioned by SpinyShell, I don’t think there’s any reason to attribute the lack of difficulty to GF wanting to allow weaker Pokémon to be more viable. As a side note, things are still more difficult with certain Pokémon than they are with others.

I also don’t really see where the option of “dumping weaker Pokémon” is “at odds” with the concept of keeping them around because they’re your favorites. It’s an optional decision to be made, something that is a core aspect of RPGs. Sure, many RPGs are more cut-and-dry about what is and isn’t better off left behind, but that’s what makes Pokémon stand out.

I don’t think so as LGPE also has overworld encounters despite also having following Pokémon.

Oh!! That is true. I haven't been able to play Let's Go yet, are there any areas with overworld roaming Pokemon where the perspective shifts from overhead?

Maybe it looked ok from that perspective but did not look like it made sense from a more ground level perspective!

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom