• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Breeding in Sword & Shield

A euphemism for what?

It's worth mentioning that there are other code-based things that have been cut for other reasons, like battle facilities and wild battles and abilities in LGPE, so while the dex cut isn't very similar to it, to see features regularly cut for various features and then see that even Pokemon can be cut would make it seem like anything could be cut from a game.

A euphemism for what?

It's worth mentioning that there are other code-based things that have been cut for other reasons, like battle facilities and wild battles and abilities in LGPE, so while the dex cut isn't very similar to it, to see features regularly cut for various features and then see that even Pokemon can be cut would make it seem like anything could be cut from a game.
Such things aren't a free-for-all for Gamefreak. They have no reason to cut breeding.

Masuda did trash the feature last year while hyping Let's Go. Because of that, many people feared that breeding would be removed permanently.
It wasn't even remotely close to trashing, he just didn't like the way some people used it.

It's worth mentioning that there are other code-based things that have been cut for other reasons, like battle facilities and wild battles and abilities in LGPE

But remember, all of those things barring wild battles, which were cut because of the tie-in with GO, were cut because they weren’t in Yellow. They weren’t cut because GameFreak didn’t like them. There’s zero reason for GameFreak to cut breeding in SwSh and I highly doubt it will happen.

And while Masuda was critical of breeding during the LGPE news cycle, that doesn’t mean GameFreak as a whole doesn’t like the feature.

But remember, all of those things barring wild battles, which were cut because of the tie-in with GO, were cut because they weren’t in Yellow. They weren’t cut because GameFreak didn’t like them. There’s zero reason for GameFreak to cut breeding in SwSh and I highly doubt it will happen.

And while Masuda was critical of breeding during the LGPE news cycle, that doesn’t mean GameFreak as a whole doesn’t like the feature.
(I was referring to battle facilities in ORAS, not LGPE-I think I left out a comma that would have made that more clear.)

I don't expect it to happen either, but the logic behind cutting code features has been rather inconsistent over time. The Battle Frontier was in RSE, but not in ORAS, because "people like smartphone games too much and don't have time for it." But then abilities are removed from LGPE "to keep them similar to the game they're based on." And then Mega Evolution is still kept in LGPE, despite not being in Yellow. (as is the Fairy type, the physical/special split, etc) Whether or not something was in a game before it doesn't really seem to be the primary deciding feature in whether a feature returns. The one thing that does remain consistent is whether it matches with Game Freak's vision for their game, whatever their reasoning for that. So even though I don't think breeding will end up cut, I also don't think it's unreasonable for someone to think "If the games' director says he doesn't want the games to be about breeding Pokemon, it might not be kept in."

One is a decision based on the amount of animation-work that has to be done, while breeding is a mechanic, code-based mostly.

I do agree that the two things are technically different, but both of them are still changes to the core aspects of the game.

This is what i think. Features can change from gen to gen. Some might be good such as upgrades, or bad like cuts, and the reasons can be whatever the give. But that any feature can change, for better or worse, remains.

I mean, for example, who says that they won't lock breeding to home with no option to doing it in game. That would be a bad change for breeding that would definitely suck for all us. Hope this does not happen thought.

According to Masuda I believe, it will be easier for players to make their Pokemon ready for competitive play in SwSh. I wonder if this will lessen the impact of breeding in the games, or if it will still be worth it.

I do agree that the two things are technically different, but both of them are still changes to the core aspects of the game.

This is what i think. Features can change from gen to gen. Some might be good such as upgrades, or bad like cuts, and the reasons can be whatever the give. But that any feature can change, for better or worse, remains.

I mean, for example, who says that they won't lock breeding to home with no option to doing it in game. That would be a bad change for breeding that would definitely suck for all us. Hope this does not happen thought.
The Dexit is not the removal of a feature; the feature (the Pokémon) still remain, there's just a different roster. This obviously has to do with them nearing the 1000+ new models. A sad change, but an understandable one. Also one most likely based in the graphical department, not just the coding/scripting one.

Your fears about the breeding mechanic are irrational, though, and not rooted in any patterns or reason. The worst-case scenario you're mentioning about them walling-off breeding has zero basis.

The argument that "Anything is possible; they can decide anything" just doesn't hold true; they know which mechanics are succesful, which are not and which should be title-specific. They might juggle around a bit with them or build upon the mechanics, but they won't just change the core of the game, as we see in the interviews, as well.

With the recently gained knowledge that it appears Pokemon Sword and Shield has a similar box situation as Let's Go (at least in the wild area), I am hoping they have kept the ability to favorite Pokemon and Release multiple Pokemon at once! This is a great quality of life feature for breeders and shiny hunters. And seeing how they have added a couple of other quality of life features to this game, I think it's definitely quite possible they have this feature to release multiple at once.

I kind of wonder where the Nursery will be. They usually like to put it in relatively early, so I hope we don't go too long before seeing it. In case I end up having two team members that are version exclusive to different games, I would like to be able to breed off a traded one so I can use my own Pokemon, and it would be quite annoying if I had to wait till over halfway through the game especially if this was an early route 'mon.

The Dexit is not the removal of a feature; the feature (the Pokémon) still remain, there's just a different roster. This obviously has to do with them nearing the 1000+ new models. A sad change, but an understandable one. Also one most likely based in the graphical department, not just the coding/scripting one.

Dexit is understandable to an extent, but is is hard to feel too sorry for The Pokemon Company/Game Freak when my favorite Pokemon are being cut to make room for more Charizard fanservice in a game it shouldn't even be in, because they cut the existing gratious Charizard pandering.

Last edited:
Not gonna lie as a Charizard fan I want to shake gamefreak and yell "LEAVE MY BABY ALONE YOU'RE MAKING PEOPLE HATE HIM!!!"

Honestly I feel like when it comes to 'dexit' reactions we've all been a bit spoiled by the pokemon franchise. As a Digimon, Monster Rancher, and Dragon Quest Monsters game fan POkemon is very unique in that we've gotten every single prior monster in every single game released up until this point. That may be why I've been as okay with the concept since it's usually the norm for monster raising games.

Honestly I feel like when it comes to 'dexit' reactions we've all been a bit spoiled by the pokemon franchise. As a Digimon, Monster Rancher, and Dragon Quest Monsters game fan POkemon is very unique in that we've gotten every single prior monster in every single game released up until this point. That may be why I've been as okay with the concept since it's usually the norm for monster raising games.
Same here (also fan of those same games). In fact, I feel that it would have happened sooner or later anyway.

Last edited:
Honestly I feel like when it comes to 'dexit' reactions we've all been a bit spoiled by the pokemon franchise. As a Digimon, Monster Rancher, and Dragon Quest Monsters game fan POkemon is very unique in that we've gotten every single prior monster in every single game released up until this point.

Eeeehhhhh.... to be fair, Pokemon is far more successful than anything of those other games and thus has more capability to make every Pokemon transferable. Yes, other games don't have transfer capabilities, but they didn't have the resources Pokemon did.

Eeeehhhhh.... to be fair, Pokemon is far more successful than anything of those other games and thus has more capability to make every Pokemon transferable. Yes, other games don't have transfer capabilities, but they didn't have the resources Pokemon did.
Let's ignore that Namco-Bandai (Digimon), Tecmo-Koei (Monster Rancher) and Square-Enix (Dragon Quest Monsters) are big companies, so the resources part is not necessarily true.

Pokemon's the most financially successful video game franchise-no matter how big the other companies are, Pokemon's bigger.

Speaking of the other companies, it's also worth mentioning that even though the developers behind those games could have the resources themselves as companies (like was said about Bandai and Square), the profits made through the Digimon/Monster Rancher/other games individually, specifically, don't get even close to those generate by Pokémon.

About Digimon, which is one of the most successful of all of those, by May of this year, Cyber Sleuth had sold "only" 800,000 copies worldwide (considering the sum total of multiple versions that yet had to be ported to different platforms). And even the best-selling Digimon game of all time isn't far from that number, actually (it's around 1 million copies sold "only").

It also has been said a few times by Habu (current game producer of the series) that they were hoping to collect the necessary resources with the latest games (at the time of that statement he was talking about Cyber Sleuth iirc) to make the fans' desire of a game with all the Digimon to happen. So, at least regarding Digimon, it's also the producer's wish to make it happen, even though Digimon doesn't have as much focus on the collectible aspect as Pokémon does.

Edit: Here are the sources.
An interview for Famitsu, about Cyber Sleuth: Hacker's Memory (roughly translated):

Interviewer: Story is back, but as you said, you're planning a new title for the Digimon series while doing this work, could you tell me more about it?

Kazumasa Habu: I would like to continue the Digimon series firmly. When a new work is announced, the thing fans are most concerned is about how many Digimon will come out. However, making this game was the most difficult...(laughs). Currently, there are about 1000 Digimon on the settings, but we have not been able to make them all appear yet, so we hope to increase the number of Digimon as we go through the series. Because Digimon is a totally different form of integration, it can't be diverted at all, so we are managing resources and increasing 3D models of each Digimon. It's quite a difficult task, but we're working on it little by little, so that we can continue the Digimon series and achieve the fan dreams of “All Digimon Appearance”.

He also comments more about that wish in these two tweets: (1), (2).

Last edited:
It also has been said a few times by Habu (current game producer of the series) that they were hoping to collect the necessary resources with the latest games (at the time of that statement he was talking about Cyber Sleuth iirc) to make the fans' desire of a game with all the Digimon to happen. So, at least regarding Digimon, it's also the producer's wish to make it happen, even though Digimon doesn't have as much focus on the collectible aspect as Pokémon does.
Not sure if he's brave or a fool, mostly because I find that incredibly nightmarish. Yes, Digimon has palette swaps, but even with that I fear that the game might end up like Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3. Sure, they had almost all fighters from DB, but none of the characters felt different from each other.

Speaking of the other companies, it's also worth mentioning that even though the developers behind those games could have the resources themselves as companies (like was said about Bandai and Square), the profits made through the Digimon/Monster Rancher/other games individually, specifically, don't get even close to those generate by Pokémon.

About Digimon, which is one of the most successful of all of those, by May of this year, Cyber Sleuth had sold "only" 800,000 copies worldwide (considering the sum total of multiple versions that yet had to be ported to different platforms). And even the best-selling Digimon game of all time isn't far from that number, actually (it's around 1 million copies sold "only").

That's like 1200-1500 designs. Holy. The problem with Digimon is that some forms/digimon are not fully 'canon' throughout all the series. There are plenty of game- or anime-specific designs. Pokémon doesn't suffer from this, luckily, and is pretty standardised.

I was a big Digimon fan a few years back. I loved how Digimon are more sentient and almost feel like human-partners; someone you can talk to and fight together with.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom