• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview SM139: Birth! The Alola Champion!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
God I hate those live action previews. They're the cringiest thing that I've ever seen related to the Pokemon anime. That said, I'm not sure why they decided to spoil the end of the battle like that. All this secrecy that was being built for weeks and now they just went and showed us that Ash will win several days before the episode even airs.

does this mean goodbye to ash?
Nope, not at all. Won't bother explaining why, done it several times.

I kind of disagree here, Midnight Lycanroc just running out of steam and "fainting" I think would honestly be better than the usual wait to see which Pokemon falls first. Or even a clear knock out with a Z-move.
I do hope that it doesn't end that way. I'd hope Ash can finish off Lycanroc after that moment with something other than a Z-move.
I doubt that's how he faints, that seems more like Nightroc's Outrage wearing out and the confusion status setting in. Which gives Duskroc a prime opportunity to hit a sitting duck.

Anonymous YouTube commenter said:
No it doesn't.. Producers of the show maybe are doing it on purpose showing the trophy, what happens is that ash loses the fight
Some people are just diving into a deeper and deeper denial now...
I doubt that's how he faints, that seems more like Nightroc's Outrage wearing out and the confusion status setting in. Which gives Duskroc a prime opportunity to hit a sitting duck.
Let's just hope they'll come up with a way for Ash to exploit it without the Counter scenario from their previous battle reoccurring.

So Ash may have won a league (also no the Orange Islands one doesn’t count)?

Well if so, no matter the execution to me it’s

Last edited:
If this is really Ash winning the Alola League, personally I'll be happy. Regardless of what people say, this is still a legitimate regional league. He had to actually win a tournament. Its still very new and it has no requirements, which should have been completing the Island Challenge, but a win is a win. We thought this day would never come, and it looks like it finally is going to arrive.

The lack of awareness or care of that image is amazing. One of the biggest moments in the anime's history is spoiled due to straight up negligence. Damn, I mean Ash's loss to Alain was sealed more tightly than a jar of pickles. Which is why I'm half-expecting Guzzlord will smash or bite his shiny new trophy to pieces just for laughs.

Didn’t Gladion actually overcome the confusion side effects as seen against Kiawe?
I doubt confusion can be overcome fully. Even if the confusion effects are low due to the bond between Pokemon and trainer, they still exist and even that minimal chance can hinder the Pokemon.

Didn’t Gladion actually overcome the confusion side effects as seen against Kiawe?
I doubt confusion can be overcome fully. Even if the confusion effects are low due to the bond between Pokemon and trainer, they still exist and even that minimal chance can hinder the Pokemon.
I don't think Lycanroc even had the chance to the confusion stage in that battle. It was just Outrage's status as a rampage move that they had learned to control.

True. But the confusion is inevitable, while the rampaging can be put under control, as we saw in the Kiawe battle.
Confusion is a side effect of the rampaging itself, though.
Lycanroc seems perfectly capable of listening to Gladion in the battle vs Kiawe, and Olivia’s reaction shows that they overcame most of the disorientation that results from Outrage.

I hope Outrage’s confusion effects are not a huge factor in Ash’s victory since Gladion’s battle against Kiawe made a point of showing that Gladion and Lycanroc were working on overcoming it.

There is a good reason why many of us continue to doubt Ash will win this league. There is a phenomenon that TV Tropes refers to as Foiler Footage that has the writers intentionally create fake footage so that spoilers won't be leaked out.

This has been done several times before, as the link shows. One example is The Simpsons multi-part episode Who Shot Mr. Burns, which created an alternate ending where Smithers was the shooter in order to hide the spoiler that Burns was shot by Maggie before airing. Other foilers include Doctor Who episodes that imply Rose will die (to hide the Ninth Doctor's regeneration) in The Parting of the Ways, and Missy is The Rani (to hide her being The Master) in Dark Waters. Marvel also did this in several movie trailers.

We've seen images implying Ash will win, but whether they're real or foilers to hide Gladion's victory won't be confirmed until Sunday. The higher promotions in regards to this league and bringing up past failures are still unusual. But doing so is a make or break situation now; Gladion winning the league after a lot of build-up could destroy this anime's reputation for good. Ash winning might save the reputation, especially if he returns as the protagonist of the SwSh series and it keeps its promise by giving spotlight on all previous regions.

There is a good reason why many of us continue to doubt Ash will win this league. There is a phenomenon that TV Tropes refers to as Foiler Footage that has the writers intentionally create fake footage so that spoilers won't be leaked out.

This has been done several times before, as the link shows. One example is The Simpsons multi-part episode Who Shot Mr. Burns, which created an alternate ending where Smithers was the shooter in order to hide the spoiler that Burns was shot by Maggie before airing. Other foilers include Doctor Who episodes that imply Rose will die (to hide the Ninth Doctor's regeneration) in The Parting of the Ways, and Missy is The Rani (to hide her being The Master) in Dark Waters. Marvel also did this in several movie trailers.

We've seen images implying Ash will win, but whether they're real or foilers to hide Gladion's victory won't be confirmed until Sunday. The higher promotions in regards to this league and bringing up past failures are still unusual. But doing so is a make or break situation now; Gladion winning the league after a lot of build-up could destroy this anime's reputation for good. Ash winning might save the reputation, especially if he returns as the protagonist of the SwSh series and it keeps its promise by giving spotlight on all previous regions.
They've never exactly done foiler footages on those Oha segments, they only replaced the actual voice-overs with their own cringeworthy/ridiculous dialogue lines. The scenes remained the same in the respective episodes.

I don't recall this having been done in Pokémon before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom