• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Starters Discussion

Which starter do you like?

• Grookey

Votes: 40 16.0%
  • Scorbunny

Votes: 68 27.2%
  • Sobble

Votes: 71 28.4%
  • All of them!

Votes: 61 24.4%
  • None.

Votes: 10 4.0%

• Total voters
Sobble will be water/poison
Grookey will be grass/rock
Scorbunny will be fire/electric
Thanos will be like/notperfeclybalanced

Well it means that means scorbunny will die against grookey
Fire is not very effective against rock so as grass to poison but not water to electric so we can give up to
Grookey being dark
Sobble being ghost
SCorbunny being fighting
Just kidding, gamefreak will surprise us again , so it better be a good surprise

Sobble will be water/poison
Grookey will be grass/rock
Scorbunny will be fire/electric
Thanos will be like/notperfeclybalanced

Well it means that means scorbunny will die against grookey
Fire is not very effective against rock so as grass to poison but not water to electric so we can give up to
Grookey being dark
Sobble being ghost
SCorbunny being fighting
Just kidding, gamefreak will surprise us again , so it better be a good surprise

Scorchbunny used Bounce, Scorchbunny used Close Combat or other fighting attack...
would be cool that the grass starter gets somekind of advantage. Neutral to fire, neutral to flying is good, resistace to electric great.
Lets hope enough defense to withstand a fast fighting type move.
Scorchbunny used Magnet rise.(against ground)
Last generation Deciduey was weaker type wise then Incineroar this time would be cool to switch roles.

Greninja was type wise weak to Chesnaught and Chesnaught to Delphox, Delphox to Greninja double time each.
Deciduey was double weak to Incineroar but faster , Incineroar was double weak to Primarina but got Fake Out and Throat Chop...

gen 5 was interesting fire/fighting Emboar got a lot of hp 110 and 65 both defenses, 123 attack 100 sp. attack and and speed 65(faster then Incineroar) , Solarbeam, Wild Charge and "Fling" to counter Samurott that was faster a little 70 speed, Serperior was really fast 113 but got only 75 both attack and special attack and 95 both defences, where Samurott got Shel Armor against Leaf blade and defence 85 and sp. defence 70 where attack 100 and sp. attack 108 and acces to ice attacks.
Water type got "Dive" and Dig (you know the reason probably to survive, hit and use Aqua Jet after wards), Serperior could not even use Dig.
Emboar and Serperior have a interesting relationship when it comes to speed and stats wise.
__
In gen 1 Charizard got flying to survive eathquakes and had higher speed to survive water moves a little longer,
Venusaur was faster then Blastoise because of ice beam (moves) and stats relations between them back then.
Venusaur had 5 points lowe sp. attack then Blastoise special defense and Blastoise defense was 12 points higher then Venusaurs attack.
Venusaur had 15 pooints higher special defense then Blastoises special attack.
You see what I'm pointing out here.

Poison probably they wanted to be SE on flying and resist flying and planed to make maybe Blastoise the first water/steel pokemon seeing it's canons but who knows... they had Magneton alredy then... sorry that it didn't hapen back then realy sorry.
Maybe they though that Blastoise would be to overpored with those many resistances steel had back then?

Flying weak to Poison and beeing resisted by it would make sense really more then the bug thing... They probably had Umbreon alredy then but though that 2 and 1 aren't enough or had gen 2 already in plans but werent organised and financial ready.

Last edited:
Scorchbunny used Bounce, Scorchbunny used Close Combat or other fighting attack...
would be cool that the grass starter gets somekind of advantage. Neutral to fire, neutral to flying is good, resistace to electric great.
Lets hope enough defense to withstand a fast fighting type move.
Scorchbunny used Magnet rise.(against ground)
Last generation Deciduey was weaker type wise then Incineroar this time would be cool to switch roles.

Greninja was type wise weak to Chesnaught and Chesnaught to Delphox, Delphox to Greninja double time each.
Deciduey was double weak to Incineroar but faster , Incineroar was double weak to Primarina but got Fake Out and Throat Chop...

gen 5 was interesting fire/fighting Emboar got a lot of hp 110 and 65 both defenses, 123 attack 100 sp. attack and and speed 65(faster then Incineroar) , Solarbeam, Wild Charge and "Fling" to counter Samurott that was faster a little 70 speed, Serperior was really fast 113 but got only 75 both attack and special attack and 95 both defences, where Samurott got Shel Armor against Leaf blade and defence 85 and sp. defence 70 where attack 100 and sp. attack 108 and acces to ice attacks.
Water type got "Dive" and Dig (you know the reason probably to survive, hit and use Aqua Jet after wards), Serperior could not even use Dig.
Emboar and Serperior have a interesting relationship when it comes to speed and stats wise.
__
In gen 1 Charizard got flying to survive eathquakes and had higher speed to survive water moves a little longer,
Venusaur was faster then Blastoise because of ice beam (moves) and stats relations between them back then.
Venusaur had 5 points lowe sp. attack then Blastoise special defense and Blastoise defense was 12 points higher then Venusaurs attack.
Venusaur had 15 pooints higher special defense then Blastoises special attack.
You see what I'm pointing out here.
You mean that every they come up with something to balance the starters?
Poison probably they wanted to be SE on flying and resist flying and planed to make maybe Blastoise the first water/steel pokemon seeing it's canons but who knows... they had Magneton alredy then... sorry that it didn't hapen back then realy sorry.
Maybe they though that Blastoise would be to overpored with those many resistances steel had back then?

Flying weak to Poison and beeing resisted by it would make sense really more then the bug thing... They probably had Umbreon alredy then but though that 2 and 1 aren't enough or had gen 2 already in plans but werent organised and financial ready.
I don't think these changes were planned back then nor that they're going to change the type chart anymore.

You mean that every they come up with something to balance the starters?

I don't think these changes were planned back then nor that they're going to change the type chart anymore.

they can always create mega Blastoise Shield and mega Venusaur Sword? (Or reverse?)
hmm grass/ghost special oriented would resist bug, poison attacks, skullbash no problem , would need not to worry about psychic but would need more sp. defence and a good ability hmmm Cursed Body? or maybe new one? Corrosion for fun part?

or something totally new that maybe could cause recoil damage for every oponents moves or cause a recharge turn with 30% of happening but not like flinching but on the start of the turn?

So according to ruffledrowlit from Mamoru Okami , there was a survey from Gamefreak on their Sword and Shield secret member club asking the audience if they want to see the Starter pokemon revealed ahead of time or on your own inside the games. Votes end on the 20th. (20th is also the switchlite launch) @Oriden this may pertain to the potential news date thread too.

Attachments

• startersurvey.png
    startersurvey.png
    374.4 KB · Views: 65
So according to ruffledrowlit from Mamoru Okami , there was a survey from Gamefreak on their Sword and Shield secret member club asking the audience if they want to see the Starter pokemon revealed ahead of time or on your own inside the games. Votes end on the 20th. (20th is also the switchlite launch) @Oriden this may pertain to the potential news date thread too.

This sounds interesting. Hopefully it leads to something. I mean, there could be more frequent railers as we approach the release date.

I am really curious for the starters evolution. While we have had some leaks regarding the starters this gen, there is still some mystery surrounding the types and themes. Specially, I want to see Sobble and Scorbunny final stages. I have the feeling they will look great.

I dreamt that Sobble evolved into a frog/lizard creature.

it learning lick, dragon tail, aqua tail, iron tail, power whip is sure a thing.
Acid Amor, Camouflage. If it learns poison tail or something... I really hope for water Glare user with this one.

I'm hoping Chameleon or Basilisk sort of pokemon.
If they create a invisibility ability and add 4 or 5 pokes with it , will be cool how people will react to a invisible foe that you can't hit before he uses a move...

Grookey: Gorillas are ground-dwelling, predominantly herbivorous apes that inhabit the forests of central Sub-Saharan Africa
Gorillas' natural habitats cover tropical or subtropical forests in Sub-Saharan Africa. Although their range covers a small percentage of Sub-Saharan Africa, gorillas cover a wide range of elevations. The mountain gorilla inhabits the Albertine Riftmontane cloud forests of the Virunga Volcanoes

Hope they focused on the mountain and rock type more then ground-dweeling...
In Zelda is Yunobo
We had a lot of Gorillas lately like Kong Skull Island, Rampage, Planet of Apes and even one in Ready Player One, series the Flash...
Most associated with mountains and jumping on buildings.
Johny the Gorilla from Sing animated movie.
Ogres | God of War

Scorbunny: Run Flash, Run... It looks like DCs flash a little
Electric Rabbit - The Legend Of Zelda Theme by Electric

Sobble: 8 Toxic Behaviors That May Arise from Your Anxiety

Rango the movie?

Last edited:
James turner said he really likes sobble evolutions, if it's anything to go by.

I don't know if these have been posted in this thread yet so;

I've gotta say, I don't think I've been as conflicted over all three of the starters since Chikorita, Cyndaquil, and Totodile. The amount of personality given to them makes them all so lovable in their own way and so hard to choose between them. I love how energetic Scorbunny is in it's game animations (in battle and when playing in the PokeCamp) and it always grabs my attention whenever new information is released, Sobble is relatable asf and fits my personality, and Grookey just makes me feel happy whenever I look at it. I'm really waiting to see their evolutions to make some sort of choice. For now, I'm still sticking with Grookey because I think it would be a really great pairing from a story perspective (a shy, timid young trainer and a friendly, energetic starter that just wants to bring joy to people holds so much potential) and it's still my favorite Galar starter design wise but I'm waiting for more information about them and the Pokemon in the Galar region.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom