• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Regional/Cross-Gen Evolution Discussion

Reaction score
Originally thought this would be part of the Galarian Form discussions, but it’s pretty clear that it’s branching off into its own thing even in that thread. Especially considering Sirfetch’d [probably] evolves from regular Farfetch’d so they aren’t necessarily always tied to Regional Variants.

So what Regional Evolutions do people still hope we’re getting?

How do you feel about the ones we know of so far?

What types/Abilities/stats/moves/designs do you want to see in a new Evolution?

Feel free to discuss these questions and more!

Especially considering Sirfetch’d [probably] evolves from regular Farfetch’d so they aren’t necessarily always tied to Regional Variants.

It should be noted that there's still the possibility of Galarian Farfetch'd, especially, considering Zigzagoon, Obstagoon, and Sirfetch'd all have this piece of text on their pages:

Zigzagoon's page said:
The Zigzagoon of the Galar region move about however they like and never settle down.

Linoone's page said:
The Linoone of the Galar region live in harsh conditions compared to those found in other regions, with fierce competition against others of their species.

Sirfetch'd's page said:
The Farfetch’d of the Galar region can evolve into Sirfetch'd after experiencing many battles.

Though I think a thread on Regional Evolutions is fine, considering they're different than regional variants.

EDIT: As for what I'd like to see, I'm hoping Mightyena gets one, since Linoone did.

Well, people have been wanting Dunsparce to get an evolution for a while now, and since Farfetch'd got one, then it might be an ideal time to upgrade Mr. Flat Snake.

As others have mentioned, since Bea, a Fighting-type expert, is Sword exclusive, and Sirfetch'd is a Fighting-type that is exclusive to Sword, then maybe Dunsparce could become a Ghost-type to match Alistair, who is a Ghost-type expert, in Shield. After all, Sirfetch'd completely drops Farfetch'd's Normal/Flying combo for pure Fighting, so maybe Dunsparce will drop Normal for Ghost. Or it could combine the two to become our first Normal/Ghost Mon. At this point and time, anything is possible.

If Dunsparce does get the same treatment as Farfetch'd and becomes a Ghost-type upon evolving, then a possible ability for it could be Cursed Body. Since Cursed Body can disable moves upon contact, it could be considered a "defensive" ability, perfect for Shield. Or it could keep Serene Grace so that moves like Shadow Ball have higher chances of inflicting its secondary effect. I could see both working if it ends up in that position.

That's about it off the top of my head. We'll just have to wait and see.

Well, people have been wanting Dunsparce to get an evolution for a while now, and since Farfetch'd got one, then it might be an ideal time to upgrade Mr. Flat Snake.

As others have mentioned, since Bea, a Fighting-type expert, is Sword exclusive, and Sirfetch'd is a Fighting-type that is exclusive to Sword, then maybe Dunsparce could become a Ghost-type to match Alistair, who is a Ghost-type expert, in Shield. After all, Sirfetch'd completely drops Farfetch'd's Normal/Flying combo for pure Fighting, so maybe Dunsparce will drop Normal for Ghost. Or it could combine the two to become our first Normal/Ghost Mon. At this point and time, anything is possible.

If Dunsparce does get the same treatment as Farfetch'd and becomes a Ghost-type upon evolving, then a possible ability for it could be Cursed Body. Since Cursed Body can disable moves upon contact, it could be considered a "defensive" ability, perfect for Shield. Or it could keep Serene Grace so that moves like Shadow Ball have higher chances of inflicting its secondary effect. I could see both working if it ends up in that position.

That's about it off the top of my head. We'll just have to wait and see.

I hope you're happy, because in my initial naysaying, I was going to argue that Farfetch'd always sort of had an inclination for combat so making the switch to Fighting-type made some sense, whereas there's nothing particularly ghostly about Dunsparce, but then I suddenly began to realize that it shares a few rather alarming similarities with Giratina, and now I've headcanoned them as ancestral relatives. :eek:

I'm going to go lie down now.

It should be noted that there's still the possibility of Galarian Farfetch'd, especially, considering Zigzagoon, Obstagoon, and Sirfetch'd all have this piece of text on their pages
Yep! Fully agree that the possibility is still there (hence the “probably”). The only thing making me lean towards regular Farfetch’d would be the fact that they didn’t show off a Galarian variant of it along with Sirfetch’d. That doesn’t rule it out, just makes it a bit dubious in my opinion.

Yep! Fully agree that the possibility is still there (hence the “probably”). The only thing making me lean towards regular Farfetch’d would be the fact that they didn’t show off a Galarian variant of it along with Sirfetch’d. That doesn’t rule it out, just makes it a bit dubious in my opinion.

Probably just because there isn't an interesting enough difference. Didn't they show us Alolan Dugtrio without showing us Diglett too? And we don't know where Koffing stands either.

Probably just because there isn't an interesting enough difference. Didn't they show us Alolan Dugtrio without showing us Diglett too? And we don't know where Koffing stands either.
Dugtrio was revealed in the Demo iirc, so it makes sense that they didn’t want to put both it and Alolan Diglett in. Koffing is a slightly different case because Weezing isn’t a regional evolution; just a variant. People suspect that Koffing won’t have a Galarian Form either.

Dunsparce would be nice. But I can't stop thinking about that one fake leak that mentioned Chatot.

• Both are single staged birds.
  • They didn't get a lot of love in their home games.
  • Both are considered weak competitively.
  • Both are normal types.
I don't know how they could expand on a gimmick Pokemon like Chatot that lost its gimmick a long time ago. Or what they could do to make it's head look like a different music note. Bard bird maybe?

I really hope there isnt a galarian farfetchd. the only differences betwen the designs of farfetch´d and sirfetch´d bodies are their collors . If there is a galarian farfetchd, it would be another duck who has the same design and different collors.

I have no problems with regional variants being the same design with different colors, but evos should be more different .

The intro says farfetch´d of galar region, but its doesnt say that farfetch´d of galar region are different from the ones we know. The leaker that talked about sirfetch´d months ago didnt say anything about a galarian farfetch'd.

Last edited:
I suppose they could pull a Rockruff and have it so only Farfetch’d with a certain ability can evolve into Sirfetch’d, if they really wanted to make it exclusive to “the Farfetch’d of the Galar region”.

Based on the flavor text, might I suggest Moxie?
I can see it keeping Defiant

I think so far they are nice. Not among my top favorite, but I can see other people liking them, specially Sirfetch'd.
Hope they do not stick with only Pokemon from 1st to 3rd gen thought.
I started playing by Gen 4, and most of my favorite designs are from gen 4 and 5. That is why the rumored Chatot evolution got me more excited than Sirfetch'd. I certainly hope to see something for Lumineon, Spiritomb, or Sigilyph in Sword and Shield.

I can see them doing a few variants from Sinnoh and then having those forms be in-game trades for the Sinnoh remakes that everyone thinks is happening next. It'd be the same concept as Alolan forms in LGPE.

(And then imagine if, in the Sinnoh remakes, they include Pokémon not in the DPP pokedexes but in new Sinnoh forms!)

Although I don't see them doing regional evolutions for Sinnoh Pokémon. I don't think they want to confront the "what about the non-Galar Pokémon?" question yet.

what about Scyther taking a other evolution route? we could get a bug/dragon form and a new bug/dragon line seperately.

Torcoal, Spinda, Dunsparce, Giraffarig, Quilfish, how many 1 stage pokemon we have that have very low stats and not very good moves and abilities wise?

56 without any evolution chains. How many didn't get a mega, alola form or Z-move?

Dunsparce was the land snake pokemon, with drill and wings , flying/ground? fairy/ground with levitate? dragon/fairy?
everything possible taking Sirfectched form... fighting/fairy, they could go that route actually but I feel that fighting/steel 3stage is coming maybe.

Maybe a pokemon like Primeape could get a fighting/fairy evo with levitate or a regional form?

Although I don't see them doing regional evolutions for Sinnoh Pokémon. I don't think they want to confront the "what about the non-Galar Pokémon?" question yet.
It doesn’t seem very likely to me either but it’s not impossible considering GF has added in new Pokémon in separate games of the same gen now. I just hope that, if they do add more Pokémon/regional variants/evolutions in the next games, they patch-in compatibility with SwSh.
I hate that Meltan and Melmetal are locked in LGPE and Poipole, Naganadel, Stakataka, Blacephalon, and Zeraora are locked in USUM. Though I know this is unlikely to happen as well...

I hate that Meltan and Melmetal are locked in LGPE and Poipole, Naganadel, Stakataka, Blacephalon, and Zeraora are locked in USUM. Though I know this is unlikely to happen as well...

Luckily so far, all of those Pokemon have been mythical. Thought, in XY they did something similar with the new megas from ORAS.

Thus, I feel that if they block something inside a same Gen, it would be the gigantamax forms or a mythical. This gives some hope for cross-gen evos to be available on both Swsh and the next games.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom