• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt they would do that if they reboot it. At worst, he would just travel through Kanto and then make pit stops in the other regions. But I don't think they would recreate the badge quest in each region, that would get boring really fast.
That's one reason why I don't think they would do that.

We'll probably find out on the 29th.

9 days until an answer.....and huh that's a Sunday. Isn't that when the episode title TBA goes out?
We'll probably find out on the 29th.

9 days until an answer.....and huh that's a Sunday. Isn't that when the episode title TBA goes out?
We'll get the SM141 title by this time tomorrow since we get new Summaries on Saturdays.

I'm sorry if I'm being rude, but I really dislike this whole 'let's wait until the 29th' argument that people are now using whenever someone corners them in a debate about their opinions on what'll happen in ShSw. No, I'm not gonna wait 9 days while just completely ignoring theories and speculations that I disagree with. I think a civilized debate can happen regardless of how many days are left until the first ShSw/'Pocket Monsters' anime trailer.

I doubt they would do that if they reboot it. At worst, he would just travel through Kanto and then make pit stops in the other regions. But I don't think they would recreate the badge quest in each region, that would get boring really fast.

Not to mention that since they'd have to juggle 8 regions in presumably only a few years, they'd have to speed things up and some gyms might not even be shown at all. I wish I could be optimistic and say that this series/saga won't have fillers that would waste precious time, but even with the possible new changes to the formula, I still expect tedious fillers.

Not to mention that since they'd have to juggle 8 regions in presumably only a few years, they'd have to speed things up and some gyms might not even be shown at all. I wish I could be optimistic and say that this series/saga won't have fillers that would waste precious time, but even with the possible new changes to the formula, I still expect tedious fillers.
One of the reasons the reboot/AU idea is nonsense. Not only will it be redundant to go through the same journey all over again (regardless of small changes here and there) but it's pointless too. The only way older regions could work is in the same vein that Kanto was in the SM season, as in revisiting old friends or for some sort of task/quest. Or it could also work if there's something akin to an inter-regional tournament/competition akin to UEFA CL.

Last edited:
The Sword and Shield games will probably last 3 years before being replaced by gen 9. That said, this isn't a Sword and Shield series, it's just "Pocket Monsters", and as such it doesn't make sense for it to have to rap up in that 3-year cycle. The series will most likely continue into gens 9, 10, and so on, and so the idea of juggling 8 regions into a short time frame is missing the picture. The 3 year time limit is gone. They don't HAVE to throw all regions into the next 3 years, rather they could focus on just one or two regions to fully explore every year, with other regions possibly making shorter cameos here and there. Eventually every region will get the spotlight, but there's no rush.

Just had an idea, what if the new series will be about Dynamaxing in not just Galar but the entire world. Like this recent dynamax phone app that just appeared.

Just had an idea, what if the new series will be about Dynamaxing in not just Galar but the entire world. Like this recent dynamax phone app that just appeared.

....What, is it like the Metaverse Navigator or some other app that just popped up everywhere?

...I don't know if that is funny or what...maybe creepy...

A focus on Dynamaxing would make this a very different series. I guess we've been entering Digimon territory since mega Evolution, so who knows.

Looks like one of my fears might be realized: the anime might be completely rebooted and Ash will travel the regions in sequence, starting in Kanto and ending in Galar.

That would be a pacing nightmare. I don't see it happening though.

One of the reasons the reboot/AU idea is nonsense. Not only will it be redundant to go through the same journey all over again (regardless of small changes here and there) but it's pointless too. The only way older regions could work is in the same vein that Kanto was in the SM season, as in revisiting old friends or for some sort of task/quest. Or it could also work if there's something akin to an inter-regional tournament/competition akin to UEFA CL.

Side episodes starring characters other than Ash could work too and could cut down on the number of fillers.

One thing I feel fairly sure of is that we'll see a larger variety of Pokemon than usual.

No, if the Anime is taking the All-Regions route that means they can make any Pokémon they want to appear, which includes Legendaries and Mythicals. It actually will be the most-merch driven to date.

Did you forget that Sword and Shield doesn't have ALL the Pokemon in it?

Though you do say Merch, which is fine, but usually the anime is a commercial for the games, but if you think its going to be for merch more than the games, then I understand.

Did you forget that Sword and Shield doesn't have ALL the Pokemon in it?

Though you do say Merch, which is fine, but usually the anime is a commercial for the games, but if you think its going to be for merch more than the games, then I understand.

....If the anime and games are disagreeing with each other about that, I will use that as further claims that Game Freak has screwed up SW SH development.

...Game Freak if you felt a development squeeze in the last 2+ Gens, just ask Pokemon Co to contract out some spinoff titles to fill in the release gap or something while you get some breathing room in. Pokemon Co cannot be worst than Ubisoft...

The fact that this saga/series is supposed to promote all the regions and generations of Pokemon when we have Dexit going on is actually one of the things that confuses me. Why did the producers decide that now would be a good time to pander to previous generations when the games will have a limited amount of Pokemon?

The fact that this saga/series is supposed to promote all the regions and generations of Pokemon when we have Dexit going on is actually one of the things that confuses me. Why did the producers decide that now would be a good time to pander to previous generations when the games will have a limited amount of Pokemon?
Attempted damage control?

Doesn't the anime taking place in all regions, kind of contradict the idea that its a 30 minute commercial?

If they really wanted to continue pushing that, why wouldn't the anime ONLY take place in Galar?

Them showcasing all the past regions allows them to increase Pokemon toy sales overall and since Galar will be featured as well, they can promote Shield and Sword whenever they showcase the Galar Pokemon. Two birds, one stone.

Them showcasing all the past regions allows them to increase Pokemon toy sales overall and since Galar will be featured as well, they can promote Shield and Sword whenever they showcase the Galar Pokemon. Two birds, one stone.
And for Galar, that will be in the first episodes.

Because the core games are only one aspect of the Pokemon franchise, and I don't think that they'll be the center of attention like they used to be considering how much money the mobile games are raking in. Even if SwShd is less pandering than previous generations, that will be made up for with Pokemon Go, Pokemon Masters, Pokemon Home, the anime, and whatever else TPC is planning. With 80% of the franchise being backwards-looking, maybe they just want to use the core games to add new content.

Actually they promised that fans would be able to use all of their older Pokemon in future titles through Pokemon Home, so I'm guessing they have something up they're sleeves that they'll reveal soon. Personally I wouldn't mind a Pokemon Stadium 3, as that would be a good way to let fans use their old Pokemon that aren't allowed into SwShd, as well as streamline online battles and add a lot of new features. I admit that's a long shot though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom