• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see them doing an International League storyline unless they plan on ending the anime entirely, or at least Ash's journey.
To be fair, if they were going to end Ash's journey, bringing back all of his old allies and enemies in an international tournament would be the best way to play to nostalgia and create hype. :unsure:

Speaking of an international tournament. If they go that route, it is going to be interesting how they handle Ash's team. IMO, you can't really do the traditional regional team when you are hopping region to region. Also, if it is a "Champions" league, it is kind of hard to justify new captures since they would lack the experience. So maybe Panky is right about reserves been brought back.

Last edited:
Speaking of an international tournament. If they go that route, it is going to be interesting how they handle Ash's team. IMO, you can't really do the traditional regional team when you are hopping region to region. Also, if it is a "Champions" league, it is kind of hard justify new captures since they would lack the experience. So maybe Panky is right about reserves been brought back.
The new companions could be Gloria and Hop, for Hop would want to train with Ash on becoming a Champion in Galar like his brother Leon by competing in the Galar League, and Gloria for wanting to become Top Coordinator. Ash could be their tutor and be like Brock this time. Perhaps capturing a Galar Pokémon, but with Gloria and Hop their starters.

The new companions could be Gloria and Hop, for Hop would want to train with Ash on becoming a Champion in Galar like his brother Leon by competing in the Galar League, and Gloria for wanting to become Top Coordinator. Ash could be their tutor and be like Brock this time. Perhaps capturing a Galar Pokémon, but with Gloria and Hop their starters.
I highly doubt that Ash will ever give up doing the Gyms and the League. That would essentially be him giving up on his goal of being a Pokemon Master. I also highly doubt that Ash will become a mentor figure unless he's aged up.

If they go that route, it is going to be interesting how they handle Ash's team.

This is so interesting (though we should probably have a separate thread for it). I always wondered about this tbh. Prior to SM I envisioned something like Pikachu, Charizard (I don't really want this but I suppose its what it is), Infernape, Greninja, Lycanroc, and Decidueye but Rowlet wouldn't even evolve...

I highly doubt that Ash will ever give up doing the Gyms and the League. That would essentially be him giving up on his goal of being a Pokemon Master. I also highly doubt that Ash will become a mentor figure unless he's aged up.
As Ash said, becoming Champion is one step away from him becoming a Pokémon Master, an International League with all the Champions competing will be the main obstacle to climb over in order to fulfill it. If there’s no space nor time for the Galar League in the series, we can at least have someone take that role instead.

Last edited:
As Ash said, becoming Champion is one step away from him becoming a Pokémon Master, an International League with all the Champions competing will be the main obstacle to climb over in order to fulfill it. If there’s no space nor time for the Galar League in the series, we can at least have someone take that role instead.
I only see them doing that if they plan on concluding Ash's story, and I see absolutely no reason to do that.

I only see them doing that if they plan on concluding Ash's story, and I see absolutely no reason to do that.
They might go the M21 route with original anime exclusive companions, start in Galar and then the other Region in no particular order.

Ash vs Kukui would probably be a two parter SM141-SM142. Since we have 2 episodes left, It looks like the series will end in a way where people would watch the beginning of the SM series. Nothing Galar related. Not even the films this year, which makes me think the anime would start just like M21 with Ash being in Galar with no rhyme or reason but to be a part of soMe International League.
Or the new series could start in Alola. Going back to the calendar, it appears that Mao and Lillie are both set to appear early on in the series, and we know Alola has to be featured at some point. I can see SM rapping up without any mention of Galar, with new series opening in Alola as basically a direct continuation. Imagine the series beginning with Ash adjusting to life as the Alola champion, when he sees an ad on TV for the Galar League/World Championsips, and that kicks off his new journey.

Do you think it maybe a hybrid between the two Ash’s (original and AU)?
I can see current Ash "becoming" AU Ash. As in, taking on his appearance. There must be some significance to reusing the logo after all.

Here's a weird thought. Every Pokemon movie belongs to a certain series. Mewtwo Strikes Back belongs to OS, Destiny Deoxys belongs to AG, etc.. Well since M20/21 clearly don't belong to SM, I'm pretty sure they must belong to "Pocket Monsters", hence why they share the same logo. Essentially, we got movies that belong to a series that wasn't going to start for another 3 years. But like most Pokemon films, they aren't canon to their respective series. They share the same style and logo, and may feature some of the same characters, but they're not actually considered part of the plot of the anime. So thinking that "Pocket Monsters" will be a continuation of these films is probably incorrect, because as Pokemon films, they wouldn't be canon anyway.

Last edited:
I find that unlikely unless the saga is actually set in the M20/M21 universe.

I could see them doing regardless of what universe since the next series doesn't seem be a straight up adaptation of Sword and Shield.

I could see them doing regardless of what universe since the next series doesn't seem be a straight up adaptation of Sword and Shield.
Instead it’ll probably be like an international league. Loosely based on Masters as well as SwSh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom