• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why not? Pokémon has a bunch of untold story arcs. Like how well did Ash and Serena knew each other in the past, how was Iris life before she left the Dragon village, why did Brock and Professor Ivy split up?

This would be really a chance to answer all this question. But only if the anime keeps Ash as the main protagonist. There is still a chance that he will be replaced.

Why not? Pokémon has a bunch of untold story arcs. Like how well did Ash and Serena knew each other in the past, how was Iris life before she left the Dragon village, why did Brock and Professor Ivy split up?

This would be really a chance to answer all this question. But only if the anime keeps Ash as the main protagonist. There is still a chance that he will be replaced.
Ash will not be replaced, the VA of both English and Japanese mentioned this.

why did Brock and Professor Ivy split up?

As a kid I cared for that lol. The way Takeshi reacted every time her name was brought up and the reason he ended up pretty much homeless are curious indeed.
However after watching those late Orange Islands episodes, I noticed her name's never brought up again afterwards.

We all know that Takeshi left the show because the producers feared how the West'd react to him, and got to join it again since the audience liked him (and because he was so much better than Kenji). But no explanation is given on why he's back to Kanto and all the time the professor name's said he curls in a comedic way. So I see it as just a short-lived running gag that would never go anywhere. Same with Dent and his fear of Choroneko for eg.

In the end that running gag served to bring Takeshi back to the show and that's what OLM wanted.

A lot of these untold stories are from over a decade ago and you would have to be an older fan to really care/know about them. Your average Pokemon watcher is 8-12, they weren't alive when DP started, were in diapers for BW, and just starting grade school when XY came around. Why would they care about stuff from over a decade ago?

Last edited:
A lot of these untold stories are from over a decade ago and you would have to be an older fan to really care/know about them. Your average Pokemon watcher is 8-12, they weren't alive when DP started, were in diapers for BW, and just starting grade school when XY came around. Why would they care about stuff from over a decade ago?
Simple... to bring in ALL Generations that watched the anime, that's why?

There is still a chance that he will be replaced.

Image result for ah shit here we go again

Now a certain person will tell us again that Ash is staying because of Rica's interviews.

This. Just because there are a lot of stories/subplots that were never resolved, doesn't mean that they will be in ShSw. 99% of those subplots weren't even important in the grand scheme of things, so the writing staff probably wouldn't care enough about them to resolve them now imo.

Except I don't think that they would ever force child fans to binge watch past episodes from before they were even born just so they could understand what's going on.
So you're saying it's better to reboot the series, starting from Kanto onwards when they should start it off in Galar?

I don't really care either and I am old enough to have seen some of the very late episodes of Johto although I don't think I started watching the anime until Hoenn.

Brock invokes very little nostalgia of any sort for me, and Misty invokes none at all since I really only ever saw like one or two episodes with her in them as a DVD, and they happened to be the episodes where she acted a bit like a jerkass so I didn't really get a good first impression.

Nothing new in the new Pokémon Series Twitter page except the plushie one today and it stating that the new series will be set in all Regions. All we know so far is that it’s not going to replace Ash. The story would either be an AU or a continuation of Ash’s journey. However it looks as if this new series will be more of an advertisement for Masters than SwSh.

View: https://twitter.com/anipoke_PR/status/1176768298706321408

Translated from Bing:

"The new series is set in all regions.
For three people
First Partner Pokemon Plush 24 Body Set

A present
▼How to apply
(1)
@anipoke_PR
Follow up on
(2) RT this tweet

Deadline: 2019/10/6 23:59
▼Application Terms and Conditions

http://bit.ly/2kI7exf Sunday evening at 6 pm #アニポケ "

Last edited:
I understand where people come from with this idea that the new anime might be an advertisement for Masters, but I have a different view about it...

Like, things take time to be made. The GO boom occurred back in 2016, yet it took us two years to get Let's Go. Similarly, anime series take time to be conceptualized and produced. Masters just launched. If anything, I think a hypothetical new concept of anime could be a GO effect on the franchise, instead of a consequence of Masters.

I mean, I don't think it can be a direct adverstiment for GO either. I just think the success of GO may have changed the way they view and deal with the franchise as a whole, thus explaning a new approach with the anime. tbh I don't agree with the decision, at all. I think the main games should be the center of the franchise, so I believe the anime should stay focused on the main games primarly, but this is another topic.

Of course, given that things like the twentieth movie could have been conceptualized even before the release of GO, it may just be the way they were intending to handle things anyway, without the influence from GO or from any other factor.

But, assuming this anime really takes a new approach, I find it hard to believe that they have produced it this way, taking a risky step, just to promote a mobile spin-off game that they didn't even know if would succeed.

Last edited:
Wait! Now we've got something for SM141

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QqJhXJXQf8

Sorry that I cannot find the link to the source, but according to this Japanese magazine leak, here is what we have...

Ash: Pikachu, Rowlit, Torracat, Lycanroc (Dusk Form), Naganadel and Melmetal

Vs.

Kukui: Incineroar, Lucario (Mega Lucario), Empoleon, Braviery and Venosaur.

Yet this is suppose to be a 6 on 6, and Kukui has one Pokemon missing, or not shown... Could this be a Galarian Pokemon that he's yet to show till SM142?

Wait! Now we've got something for SM141

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QqJhXJXQf8

Sorry that I cannot find the link to the source, but according to this Japanese magazine leak, here is what we have...

Ash: Pikachu, Rowlit, Torracat, Lycanroc (Dusk Form), Naganadel and Melmetal

Vs.

Kukui: Incineroar, Lucario (Mega Lucario), Empoleon, Braviery and Venosaur.

Yet this is suppose to be a 6 on 6, and Kukui has one Pokemon missing, or not shown... Could this be a Galarian Pokemon that he's yet to show till SM142?

It could also be something else, like Tapu Koko, and it's also possible that Kukui defeats Ash before he even gets the chance to use his 6th.

It could also be something else, like Tapu Koko, and it's also possible that Kukui defeats Ash before he even gets the chance to use his 6th.
We'll just have to wait till we come to it then.

Just as there's the mention of Hoenn, Sinnoh and Kalos with introduced Pokemon, it might be that the trailer coming on the 29th would start with the last episodes of SM, with Kukui's 6th Pokemon being a Galar Pokemon, and building up for the new series.

Last edited:
I don’t think Kukui will be using a literal Island deity. It’s pretty clear that it’s a wild Pokémon as of the Guzzlord episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom