• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a few thoughts:

The third companion slot may be intentionally left open for returning companions in each region. Many have commented that the new art style looks like a mix between SM and XY. This could be an attempt at creating an art style that all previous characters can exist in.

On the topic of the new companion collecting badges. Maybe she is an experienced trainer from the Galar region who has already gathered all of the Galar badges. This would be incentive for her to travel to other regions to collect badges and qualify for leagues there, while Ash could act as mentor figure and reenter the leagues himself. Then in Galar, Ash would be the only one who needs to collect Galar badges. That way both characters can collect badges without any actual overlap.

Finally (and disappointingly) it looks like Rotom will continue into the new series, and it will probably be the same one. Probably at the start of the new series he will be transferred to the new Pokedex (which just so happens to look like a smart phone). Although it's worth noting that both characters have the new Rotom dex, so I guess they'd need a second Rotom. We know that Kanto Oak has one though.
Or the Tomboy would be starting out and collecting Scorbunny and Rotom Phone from Professor Magnolia and Sonia. The Tomboy does seem to be based on Gloria's altered appearance after going to a Salon and clothes shop. So perhaps they took inspiration from that. Also, Gloria has one eyelash like this Tomboy does

Yeah, Allister would be to... let's say unique for this anime. I'm not sure, how people could really to him, especially little kids.

Here is not the best place to be getting into politics. I would delete this post before you get in trouble.

I am saddened that we live in a world where even mentioning the word non-binary is seen as political.

What about non-binary pokemon fans who frequent these forms should they not be able to talk about themselves honestly? I thought these forums where a place where everyone was supposed to be welcomed.

I am saddened that we live in a world where even mentioning the word non-binary is seen as political.

What about non-binary pokemon fans who frequent these forms should they not be able to talk about themselves honestly? I thought these forums where a place where everyone was supposed to be welcomed.
You're stepping the boundary here.

And with that the console pattern theory for Ash's companion finally dies but the game counterpart background pattern one still hold :) Sorry Grass Type Gardenia.

And with that the console pattern theory for Ash's companion finally dies but the game counterpart background pattern one still hold Sorry Grass Type Gardenia.
Not altogether, you realise that this Tomboy could be inspired by Gloria's customisation. So not altogether accurate as first thought, since they are going down the AU route this time with a completely new Anime exclusive companion. It was fun to speculate though.

Not altogether, you realise that this Tomboy could be inspired by Gloria's customisation. So not altogether accurate as first thought, since they are going down the AU route this time with a completely new Anime exclusive companion. It was fun to speculate though.
Who says it is an AU

If she is customized to the point to not recognize Gloria, then it is absolutly not Gloria inspired....

Also we do not know yet if she is anime exclusive... All the characters might not have been revealed.

Again you jump on conclusion and state speculation as facts...

If she is customized to the point to not recognize Gloria, then it is absolutly not Gloria inspired....

Also we do not know yet if she is anime exclusive... All the characters might not have been revealed.

Again you jump on conclusion and state speculation as facts...
I just had a hunch, and thought that would be the likely option... I never thought it would be this dramatic of a new direction they're going.

It's quite clear they want to advertise all the regions to the new children for today, since they weren't around to watch the older shows.

All I can tell is that she's neither a Gym Leader, nor a Rival, nor a Female Companion. But just a new companion that Ash will likely bump into whilst in Galar. Just like he did in M20 and M21

I for one hate this decision, not to mention all the stupid decisions GF and TPCi have been doing lately. They seem to be going more and more to new lows behind the curtain of everyone's enjoyment, and believe me, I was hoping for it to be good, both anime and games. I had high hopes for it, but every decision they make seem to be either cringe-worthy or out of nowhere. And this is spoken from someone who had been waiting for 10 years for a UK based Region.

I get it, times changed, mobile is now the rage, and in order to keep us, they would want to strike into it's market by advertising it into the new games. I should've expected this. I never expected the result to be this. Just a slap in the face to Galar whilst all the other 7 Regions get most the attention. A grim reminder to how evil this world can be. You can never trust it nor anyone around you.

I'll try to be strong, and give it a try.

Last edited:
I already mentioned that I'm fine with the new friend being either a girl or a boy.

But boys can be designed to look like girls in anime and games - and it can be a design choice to make the character popular. Bugsy is one example I see many people think as a girl.

Ash here looks better than the current one, but still less than his former incarnations.

Wow this looks like it's going to get interesting. This new character (I am assuming they are a girl, but I'm just going to use they/them pronouns till then), looks quite similar to Ash. The skin tones and eye color are different, but they have similar hair and stuff. They have never had a companion character that looked that close to Ash, so I wonder if they are a cousin or something to Ash. Possibly even a siblin, if this is an alternate universe Ash. It's really weird seeing them have a companion that is so similar looking to Ash, there has to be some sort of reason for it.

It definitely looks like this might be some sort of large travel-based anime, based on the poster. Not only does the poster show off the old Pokemon of all the old regions, but it shows off bi places that those regions are known for. It gives the World Tour sort of vibe. I wonder what this new character's motive is to travel. "And I do think that even if this is an AU Ash, they might be doing something with him being a champion.

The art style looks like a mix of an improved XY and SM, leaning more towards SM with the shapes of the eyes and stuff. Since the anime seems like it's going to be different from the past, I think I am okay with it. I would like to see it more in movement though.

We'll definitely have more of an idea of what's happening in a couple of days, but this sure is interesting for now.

Wow this looks like it's going to get interesting. This new character (I am assuming they are a girl, but I'm just going to use they/them pronouns till then), looks quite similar to Ash. The skin tones and eye color are different, but they have similar hair and stuff. They have never had a companion character that looked that close to Ash, so I wonder if they are a cousin or something to Ash. Possibly even a siblin, if this is an alternate universe Ash. It's really weird seeing them have a companion that is so similar looking to Ash, there has to be some sort of reason for it.

It definitely looks like this might be some sort of large travel-based anime, based on the poster. Not only does the poster show off the old Pokemon of all the old regions, but it shows off bi places that those regions are known for. It gives the World Tour sort of vibe. I wonder what this new character's motive is to travel. "And I do think that even if this is an AU Ash, they might be doing something with him being a champion.

The art style looks like a mix of an improved XY and SM, leaning more towards SM with the shapes of the eyes and stuff. Since the anime seems like it's going to be different from the past, I think I am okay with it. I would like to see it more in movement though.

We'll definitely have more of an idea of what's happening in a couple of days, but this sure is interesting for now.

My suspicion is that they are going to have a female lead with a similar personality to Ash. The, go get them, shonen type hero. If they are going that way I wonder how they will distinguish the two so things don't get too repetitive.

She doesn’t come off as a go getter IMO. I think she will be cool and slightly aloof. While Ash will be the hyperactive one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom