• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm almost 100% sure the new character is a girl, but she is designed to look very boyish and mostly will also act like one.
Maybe go back and read my posts a few pages back. I was confused too but that is actually a girl.
She's a Tomboy like Zoey, look at her Reference and you can see the eyelashes and hairclips.

Absolutely nothing about that character looks feminine to me. It looks straight up like a boy. The eyelashes are so small they don't look noticeable and the "hairclips" just look like different sections of the hair in different colors. If this is supposed to be a female character, well that's just an awful design. That's not even tomboy. Tomboys like Misty and I guess to an extent Zoey still looked like girls. This kid looks straight up male.

And if come Sunday they say that this character actually is supposed to be a girl, well I'll just be even more annoyed that they didn't use Gloria.

Absolutely nothing about that character looks feminine to me. It looks straight up like a boy. The eyelashes are so small they don't look noticeable and the "hairclips" just look like different sections of the hair in different colors. If this is supposed to be a female character, well that's just an awful design. That's not even tomboy. Tomboys like Misty and I guess to an extent Zoey still looked like girls. This kid looks straight up male.

And if come Sunday they say that this character actually is supposed to be a girl, well I'll just be even more annoyed that they didn't use Gloria.

Honestly, I've always thought that Misty's tomboyishness was way overstated, but that's beside the point.

Personally I always wait until we see the character in action before judging, the personality is far more important than the design for me.

Look at the shading and the coloring. It looks more detailed like XY's whereas SM's looked 2D and less detailed for the most part. Just look at Ash here and in any SM artwork to know the difference.
Except it isn't. XY outright overused shading, sometimes you couldn't even tell if there was supposed to be a definite light source due to all the random layers of shading slapped over each other. Shading was used to help a flat character design look more volumetric, but overall it was so overused it just made it worse for itself.

Honestly, I've always thought that Misty's tomboyishness was way overstated, but that's beside the point.

Personally I always wait until we see the character in action before judging, the personality is far more important than the design for me.

I mean I definitely agree, I'm just kind of surprised it all. But I'm certainly looking forward to getting more info on Sunday.

Then that would mean that there will be yet another younger sibling on the main cast.
Nah, just the starters.

Honestly I can see Ash learning the other main character some stuff about other regions, like a mentor

I agree that this new character is going to be a new trainer starting her first Pokemon journey. Though not Gloria, at least she's close enough.

you realize this is the first time a guy that started on his journey who joined ash? Think about it most of the leads were girls who were starting off

you realize this is the first time a guy that started on his journey who joined ash? Think about it most of the leads were girls who were starting off
We don't really have confirmation it is a boy as of yet, though. In fact, first thing I thought was that it was a girl. Very nice tomboyish design, which I would love. While I'd rather they be a girl, it can go both ways: either it's a slightly stereotypically feminine boy (like Illima, kinda?); or a tomboyish girl. Can't look at them objectively, though. When one thinks it's a boy, one looks at them as a boy; and viceversa. So, yeah, we'll just have to wait haha.

We don't really have confirmation it is a boy as of yet, though. In fact, first thing I thought was that it was a girl. Very nice tomboyish design, which I would love. While I'd rather they be a girl, it can go both ways: either it's a slightly stereotypically feminine boy (like Illima, kinda?); or a tomboyish girl. Can't look at them objectively, though. When one thinks it's a boy, one looks at them as a boy; and viceversa. So, yeah, we'll just have to wait haha.
It is hard to tell tbh

I mean I definitely agree, I'm just kind of surprised it all. But I'm certainly looking forward to getting more info on Sunday.

Yeah, I was was surprised as well--it's an interesting direction to be sure. I wonder if we'll finally get something fresh as far as the anime goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom