• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't help but feel the male companions in each series get less focus and are often there for comic relief

Brock: Flirts with girls
Cilan: Fear of Purrloin, a Connoisseur of practically anything
Clemont: Inventions explode

Would be nice if the Sword and Shield male companion gets a proper goal
He would by competing in all the world's leagues

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd just like to remind everyone that:

1. We still don't know if this is actually real. It does look legitimate but with all of the tools out there it wouldn't be impossible to fake something like this. I think back to the "Grinch leak" for Smash Bros Ultimate that fooled everyone because of how real it looked.
  2. If it is real we still don't know if the main cast is just these two characters. We weren't supposed to see this yet so we can't be sure of what the process will be for officially releasing information.
  3. These early Diamond&Pearl posters:
dpposter.jpg
9b5eb6f5ff651245f18611ff7813470f.jpg

We really still don't 100% concretely know anything yet.

Personally I think it'd be great if they're nonbinary, but there's like a 0.01% chance the creators would actually do that.

This would be amazing but you're right, it's unfortunately not gonna happen. Though the fact that this character, assuming they are real, has a design that can get people to legitimately argue over their gender is honestly a breath of fresh air for this series.

I think we should have faith that eventually big franchises will bring in nonbinary characters. If we are so defeated in never expecting it, franchises will never go to the trouble of giving such things. I wanna trust Pokémon a little bit with this. The franchise has been decent with trans representation considering the position it is in as a worldwide product for children and the country it comes from.

He would by competing in all the world's leagues

Also, I am concerned that Japanese media might start playing catch-up with the western media and start pushing the boundaries more and more. Such as Steven Universe, Legend of Korra and others.

I wouldn't be opposed to the new character being LGBT but I think they need to be careful not to accidentally invoke stereotypes of transgender people.

I hope they don't do what Rowling did to Dumbledore, I feel its more tactful to create an entirely new character who just happens to be gay but it's not really treated as a big deal, rather just another aspect of their identity.

Are you so sure about that?
Well for one, when it comes to starters, Ash seems to have had a lot of Grass Types: Bulbasaur, Chikorita, Treeko, Turtwing, Snivy and Rowlit (6). For Fire Types he has had Charmander, Cyndaquil, Chimchar, Tepig and Litten (5). The starter pokemon that seem to be left out are the Water Types: Squirtle, Totodile, Oshowott and Froakie (4). But at least Froakie had more development on that. By giving Grass and Fire a pause and catching Sobble, this could help Ash's Water Type count catch up and be in level with his Fire Type Starter count. Giving them more love as it should, since Ash has loved Grass and Fire Starters a lot to trail the Water Starters behind (except Greninja).

Second, if we have to go with the calendar, Grookey seems more in the back than Sobble. Also the logo for the Pokemon Center in Osaka has added Grookey alongside Pikachu and Meowth, indicating that Grookey could play a sort of big role in the anime. That's why I think Grookey would belong to the Female Companion, since in the calendar it's with the Pokemon that belonged to other Female Companions. Plus the leaf-like bow on it's head is typical of girls. Either the Female Trainer is Gloria, or another character that we've yet to see. We'll find out more soon.

Last edited:
Just like to point out that Ash's Design does not have a Dynamax Band unlike his Alola Design which had a Z-Ring which means he'll only learn about Dynamaxing sometime later in the Series. But since he is holding the Rotom Phone, he either receives a Spare One from that Guy/Girl or he goes to Galar to get it. Either way he will get a Rotom Phone in the First Three Episodes while Dynamaxing will be introduced sometime later down the road.

I've already came up with a funny idea for an episode, which I've already told you. But for those that haven't heard it...

When Ash and his companion meet and join Dawn in Sinnoh, Scorbunny would fall in love with Dawn's Buneary, who wouldn't take any notice but instead still have her crush for Pikachu. This would then lead Pikachu having to become the matchmaker for Scorbunny and Buneary, and be caught in a love triangle.

Last edited:
But since he is holding the Rotom Phone, he either receives a Spare One from that Guy/Girl or he goes to Galar to get it. Either way he will get a Rotom Phone in the First Three Episodes while Dynamaxing will be introduced sometime later down the road.
Since Kukui invented the Rotom Dex, I can see this being the gen 2 version that he completes at the start if the new series.

What boundaries do you mean?

I'd presume sexuality, but I'd highly doubt that. I call Japan 'Cyber-Alabama' for a reason.

....I'm going to say this mostly as a joke, but we are more likely to see an official version of Ash with multiple wives than a husband.

Are you guys talking about same-sex-relationships? This is something that Japanese artists have done years before. I can not see why Japan has to catch-up with a concept the American's use now that got inspire day something the Japanese artists have done years before.

I'd presume sexuality, but I'd highly doubt that. I call Japan 'Cyber-Alabama' for a reason.

....I'm going to say this mostly as a joke, but we are more likely to see an official version of Ash with multiple wives than a husband.

Most Japanese probably won't care too much that some anime boy is in a romantic relationship with another male his age. Even the more conservative ones would probably just write some mean comments on Twitter and get bored five seconds later.

I feel like the new kid might be named Tristian. Just a hunch although some variation of Mathew sounds possible. I hope not but I have a gut feeling its going to be a common name.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom