• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview Pocket Monsters the series (2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
About returning to other regions: I have a feeling that unova will be one of the first regions.

To put the whole "is Gou a main character" to rest I just rewatched the trailer and as they'd about to be introduced the narrator says "今度は ダブル 主人公!" which in English would be "This time there's double the protagonists!" so at the very least he's being presented as being on equal footing with Ash.

Wouldn't be the first time...
images

Wouldn't be the first time...
images
..... I have no comment

To put the whole "is Gou a main character" to rest I just rewatched the trailer and as they'd about to be introduced the narrator says "今度は ダブル 主人公!" which in English would be "This time there's double the protagonists!" so at the very least he's being presented as being on equal footing with Ash.

Which means there's still a chance that there will be a Female Companion. Most likely Gloria with Grookey. Wouldn't be surprised if Gloria and Go were starting out at the same time.

Go is a boy. Confirmed in trailer.
You ask me, they should have remained ambiguous one that one. Of course, I am a bit disappointed at the gender reveal as not only would it have been nice to have a non traditional style girl in the cast but I feel it’s a major missed opportunity for the expression of the duality of the series especially since they’re going with a duel protagonist style. One with a goal of capturing and the other with a goal of battling, 2 sides of the same coin when it comes to the series just as the prospect of a male and female protagonist in the games (something they wanted to do from the get go but couldn’t until Crystal and has been a staple in every Pokémon game and spin-off since). It would have been the perfect opportunity to elevate a female protagonist to the same prominence as Ash in a way that wasn’t just with some kind of girlesc goal and one that could be carried on beyond just advertising an activity of a single region.

Plus personality, I’ve never been a fan of when a series that has had a multi gender cast suddenly decides that it’s just a boy’s club and either removes the females from the cast or otherwise minimizes their importance to the point that they basically get demoted to support character.

Last edited:
You ask me, they should have remained ambiguous one that one. Of course, I am a bit disappointed at the gender reveal as not only would it have been nice to have a non traditional style girl in the cast but I feel it’s a major missed opportunity for the expression of the duality of the series especially since they’re going with a duel protagonist style. One with a goal of capturing and the other with a goal of battling, 2 sides of the same coin when it comes to the series just as the prospect of a male and female protagonist in the games (something they wanted to do from the get go but couldn’t until Crystal and has been a staple in every Pokémon game and spin-off since). It would have been the perfect opportunity to elevate a female protagonist to the same prominence as Ash in a way that wasn’t just with some kind of girlesc goal and one that could be carried on beyond just advertising an activity of a single region.

Plus personality, I’ve never been a fan of when a series that has had a multi gender cast suddenly decides that it’s just a boy’s club and either removes the females from the cast or otherwise minimizes their importance to the point that they basically get demoted to support character.
I agree with you, especially considering that some people are thinking that the female companions will basically be rotated out for every region.

I nap for a bit then wake up, go on these forums, this thread only to see 9 pages of pretty much the same discussions as the last time. And seriously, how can anyone look at this series with the little new information we got and come to the conclusion immediately that it will be bad? I fucking love this fanbase with all my heart, but some people in it I don't understand. When we learn more about this series, I hope it will appeal to as many fans as humanly possible so this and other threads can be good again. Also again, I just woke up so I am sorry if I coming across as aggressive or whatnot, I'm just so pissed that after weeks of waiting we only know a little more than last time.

Naturally, and since each year will be focused on a different Region, probably making this new series longer, then it would make sense to market over it. There's no doubt that there would be a pause to promote the new Gens.

Gen 4's Remake is no doubt coming out next year with the Sinnoh merchandising Pokeshopper has pointed out.

2019: Pokemon Season 1 - Galar
2020: Pokemon Season 2 - Sinnoh
2021: Pokemon Season 3 - Johto
2022: Pokemon Season 4 - Gen 9 Region
2023: Pokemon Season 5 - Unova
2024: Pokemon Season 6 - Alola
2025: Pokemon Season 7 - Gen 10 Region
2026: Pokemon Season 8 - Kalos
2027: Pokemon Season 9 - Kanto
2028: Pokemon Season 10 - Gen 11 Region
2029: Pokemon Season 11 - Hoenn

This is similar to what I was thinking. It seems that most believed that they where going to be visiting Galar and all the other regions in the typical 3 year series cycle. But it seems like that would be much to rushed.

I think Ash’s focus will be battling region leaders to establish his level as one of the strongest trainers and mentoring Goh as he competes in leagues. I think it would be great if at this point Ash begins to age and become more mature.

I agree with you, especially considering that some people are thinking that the female companions will basically be rotated out for every region.

Another point of view: By rotating the girls in every region, they can show multiple goals girls have and multiple things girls can do, being it even more positive than a girl as a fixed protagonist.

Another point of view: By rotating the girls in every region, they can show multiple goals girls have and multiple things girls can do, being it even more positive than a girl as a fixed protagonist.
Except it would come off as forced and even sexist, especially if they're old companions.

Yea, for once it would have been nice to have a female that didn’t just feel disposable. I mean, just look at the Pokémon Adventures manga, Red was the protagonist that went on to be champion but Crystal was the protagonist who completed the Pokédex. None of the characters feel interchangeable there and have varying personalities whether male or female. We even had Sapphire as a tomboy who did gym battles while Ruby was the one who did contests.

Problem there is, why should the girls just be relocated to the girly events? It got especially bad in XY where they literally invented a girls only event for Serena to take part in. It honestly feels a bit condescending towards girls by putting them into stereotypical roles in the series when they’re allowed to have roles at all.

Problem there is, why should the girls just be relocated to the girly events? It got especially bad in XY where they literally invented a girls only event for Serena to take part in. It honestly feels a bit condescending towards girls by putting them into stereotypical roles in the series when they’re allowed to have roles at all.
I wouldn't call it stereotyping, just the norm for 2 genders. Breaking the norm is just minor exceptions.

With the girl not being part of the fixed cast, they can go literally wherever they want to. All depends upon what they will do with it. Stereotypes and you're all correct or something new, there's the chance for that. Let's just wait and see.

That's just forced. Girls should be able to compete in the Pokemon League and not be forced into stereotypically girly events such as Showcases.
Not forcing them, it's just their choice. Or if you want to go deeper, it's also biological to some. Most woman are carers and child bearers whilst the men are the protectors and providers. Same applies to nature as well. As I said, there are some exceptions to the rule.

I wouldn't call it stereotyping, just the norm for 2 genders. Breaking the norm is just minor exceptions.
If it’s not going as far as stereotyping, it’s at very least typecasting. This isn’t the 1950’s anymore with gender roles. Just as with the games themselves, the girls should be allowed to do the same things of prominence as the boys and shouldn’t just be about the cutesy simply because they’re girls. They’re Pokémon trainers all the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom