• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview Pocket Monsters the series (2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
With what we have been revealed of the 18 Gyms. Perhaps that's why we now have a male companion instead of female. Not just for a nice change because the Female Companions have been done to death and that there are too many of them, but also because of the heavy emphasis of battling, and in ALL Regions no less. As much as I would love and was hoping for another female companion am still heartsore with this unexpected change. It seems as if they are wanting less main characters so to make it easier to write and have proper character development, thus reduced it to just 2, Ash and Go. Why should this matter I should be asking myself? When growing up we had shows that had a majority male cast. But yet we have been so used to having female characters added in in our day of age, that now just like that, the show had done a 180.

Everything TPCi and GF have done thus far is like a big slap in the face. Like as if I can never be a part of it, and whenever they go a different direction, and not show us too much just so to keep it a secret (by now the suspense is killing me), it's like they just crawled out of the screen and smack me.
If that kind of thing is their thought process, that feels pretty insulting to girls. It’s a sentiment like that that’s actually pretty sexist by essentially saying that just because you’re a girl, you shouldn’t be a part of serious battling and should just stick to girly things. And really, the last thing you want to do as any company is to insult a significant portion of your viewership. Pokémon is aimed towards both boys and girls, if you want to do something different, cutting out the girls is not the way to go.

We might get a third companion (likely a girl) who will take on the Minor League Gyms while Ash takes on the Major League ones.

So that means Dawn (Or May) also did the same thing as Ash, since Contest involved battling. Same with Cilan and Iris in BW, due to the Don George tournaments. So your argument is a little flawed for me.

Contest had a battling competent, but it was still very much it's own thing.

As for Cilan and Iris, the Don George tournaments wasn't a big part of their goals. It was just something they did for fun.

We might get a third companion (likely a girl) who will take on the Minor League Gyms while Ash takes on the Major League ones.
It's likely that Gou will be doing the Minor League since the new series will probably just have the two main characters.

I don't think that Gou even cares about Gyms or the League. All he wants to do is catch em all.
but no Pokemon will obey you over a certain level, that's why by having a Gym badge it would allow Pokemon at a higher level to obey you.

But then, neither the past female trainer had that problem, so maybe?

If that was due to levels than Dawn would have done the Gym Challenge rather than competing in Contests.
True. We'll just have to wait and find out for what the new anime gives us. I'm just starting to lose my patients with them so far, and I know, it had been months with hardly anything.

If that was due to levels than Dawn would have done the Gym Challenge rather than competing in Contests.
And even then, that concept only works with Pokémon that weren’t originally yours, not the ones you captured. Besides, that concept only exists in the games, not the anime.

Now that we know Galar will have 18 gyms, I hope Ash will be doing the league challenge in Galar more than ever. Heck, they can even have Gou do some since there are so many. Maybe Ash will take on the major league and Gou the minor league.

I dunno if I like the sound of two characters challenging gyms though. Maybe it's because I just find gyms overrated in general, but seeing Ash take them on is enough for me.

With what we have been revealed of the 18 Gyms. Perhaps that's why we now have a male companion instead of female. Not just for a nice change because the Female Companions have been done to death and that there are too many of them, but also because of the heavy emphasis of battling, and in ALL Regions no less. As much as I would love and was hoping for another female companion am still heartsore with this unexpected change. It seems as if they are wanting less main characters so to make it easier to write and have proper character development, thus reduced it to just 2, Ash and Go. Why should this matter I should be asking myself? When growing up we had shows that had a majority male cast. But yet we have been so used to having female characters added in in our day of age, that now just like that, the show had done a 180.

Everything TPCi and GF have done thus far is like a big slap in the face. Like as if I can never be a part of it, and whenever they go a different direction, and not show us too much just so to keep it a secret (by now the suspense is killing me), it's like they just crawled out of the screen and smack me.

If both the protagonist were doing gyms, it would have been ALOT more interesting if the female companion was doing gyms as female gym challengers are kind of rare. So my guess is that no, Gou is unlikely to be doing gyms.

And PS.
It's likely that Gou will be doing the Minor League since the new series will probably just have the two main characters.

You really need to stop with these posts lol. Posting things like they are facts with next to no basis.

If that kind of thing is their thought process, that feels pretty insulting to girls. It’s a sentiment like that that’s actually pretty sexist by essentially saying that just because you’re a girl, you shouldn’t be a part of serious battling and should just stick to girly things. And really, the last thing you want to do as any company is to insult a significant portion of your viewership. Pokémon is aimed towards both boys and girls, if you want to do something different, cutting out the girls is not the way to go.

Pokemon is mainly aimed to boys (girls are probably a minority in the audience). So, I don't think the creators care so much.

Not to mention that girls who like Pokemon anime wouldn't be because the "female trainer that fights Gyms", since this character never existed in the anime.

Pokemon is mainly aimed to boys (girls are probably a minority in the audience). So, I don't think the creators care so much.

Not to mention that girls who like Pokemon anime wouldn't be because the "female trainer that fight Gyms", since this character never existed in the anime.
right, the girls would be more into the boys, and having Gou would be enough for them to gush over.

It was a single event. Even if Ho-Oh hadn't appeared quite yet, it strengthened Ash's declaration
So? This was always the case. They had to talk about something else.
The Gary flashback was a gag as they were watching a manga counterpart of Ash himself; I wouldn't take it seriously when their friendship was never discussed (plus, sitting next to someone isn't necessarily a sign of friendship).
What, no. There is even a flashback in Johto League arc that show that they were frenemies in the past.

right, the girls would be into the boys, and having Gou would be enough for them to gush over.
That was not what I wanted to say.

My point is that if there are female fans in Pokemon anime, this can not be due to "female trainers who fight Gyms" (or even female characters being protagonists), since these have not really existed in the Pokemon anime.

To be clear, I don't think the male characters are the attraction for girls in Pokemon anime either (although I think a close relationship between Satoshi and Gou could attract some female fans). I see more likely that the cute and magical creatures have attracted a good amount of female fans.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom