• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Gyms Speculation Thread

I think you have to work yourself to the major league with winning the first league (8 gyms + champion cup for the minor league) so you can rank up to a major league trainer, then you can do the remaining 10 gyms as post game content.

Who knows, maybe there's still a (typeless) Elite 4 after having done all 18 gyms?

I believe minor leagues would be like the fighting dojo on saffron you could challenge it but it is not required to be... Yet there is definite rewards for defeating them
I also think it will be this. Major league is required for qualifying into the champion cup. Minor league is 'just for fun' (aka additional challenges that you can beat, but don't work toward qualification for the champion cup).

What is the difference between a, major and minor league then?

I'm personally guessing that the major league will consist of the gyms you must battle for a badge to qualify for the Champion Cup. A lot of people assume the major leaders are the ones battled in the giant stadium gyms.

The minor league is more of a mystery. It might just be an optional group of challenges on the side, or they are mandatory as major battles, but you don't get badges from them, or maybe you need to challenge at least one minor leader before you can battle a major leader. Or something totally different. I'm really curious to see how it will all be set up.

I wonder if there will be a promotion and relegation system for the leagues? That could make the postgame very fun.

Now that we have more info on the gyms, I'm hyped for them. I'm really glad to see them making changes from the 8 gym system that was the standard in previous gens. Gen 7's trials were a step in the right direction in moving away from gyms, but gen 8's gyms sound like they'll be much better.

Not sure if someone mentioned this already, but here’s my theory:
  • 16 gyms per version (8 minor & 8 major).
  • Each league has one set of version exclusives, Bea/Allister being the major league pair. This would mean there are 4 version exclusive gym leaders total.
  • Add those 4 back into the 14 (7 minor & 7 major) that are not version exclusive and you get 18 total for the overall “story” as Ohmori put it.
Don’t know how it will play out with story vs. post-game elements, but that’s at least how I think they will be organized.

Last edited:
I'd love it if the Gyms were randomly selected out of maybe 12 per version. The remaining 6 would be version exclusive. Every playthrough would be unique.

18 gyms, huh? This must mean we're getting a Dark type gym? Finally! It was long overdue, I must say. I sincerely hope it's a good challenge compared to the other gyms in game.

I'd love it if the Gyms were randomly selected out of maybe 12 per version. The remaining 6 would be version exclusive. Every playthrough would be unique.
Been confirmed that you only need to collect 8 badges meaning only 8 out of 18 are in the major league with bea(fighting) and allister(ghost) confirmed to be version exclusives and milo(grass) and nessa(water) appearing in both versions

Can someone explain the Major & Minor leagues to me simply?
We don’t have a lot of info for now, but basically, each year the Galar gym leaders seem to be involved in something like a battle, that would lead some of them to be in the major and some in the minor league.

The best example for the situation would be Bea and Allister, as one if the major gym leader in Sword and the other in Shield. The minor league leader would likely not be involved in a battle in the stadium (at least before the post game, as an it wresting idea I saw in a video would be that, if there are 9 major and 9 minor leaguer, after you win the Champions Cup the situation would be reversed).

We’re still in speculation, but I think Nessa and Milo would be fixed as major gym leaguers regardless of the version, because they weren’t introduced in any way as exclusive, and their stadium are really related to their Pokémon type. Bea and Allister’s stadium appears to be far more generic.

In any case, we have to wait and see, hopefully they’ll explain this division better in a video.

We don’t have a lot of info for now, but basically, each year the Galar gym leaders seem to be involved in something like a battle, that would lead some of them to be in the major and some in the minor league.

The best example for the situation would be Bea and Allister, as one if the major gym leader in Sword and the other in Shield. The minor league leader would likely not be involved in a battle in the stadium (at least before the post game, as an it wresting idea I saw in a video would be that, if there are 9 major and 9 minor leaguer, after you win the Champions Cup the situation would be reversed).

We’re still in speculation, but I think Nessa and Milo would be fixed as major gym leaguers regardless of the version, because they weren’t introduced in any way as exclusive, and their stadium are really related to their Pokémon type. Bea and Allister’s stadium appears to be far more generic.

In any case, we have to wait and see, hopefully they’ll explain this division better in a video.
Thanks a lot!!!!!!

A shame that there’s not 18 gyms total in the games, but I suppose that would be difficult.

However, I would like to see all gym leaders in each game, battleable or not. The ones that are minor league in the games could give you tips and items to assist in beating the major league trainers. Some of which could be battleable.

I think the gym system this go around being so sports based is a fantastic, and realistic, way to represent them.

I suspected there was something weird. I was already apprehensive about it. I mean, we can't even see 8 stadiums on the map.

But if the number is correct (18 gyms), at least there will should be more than 8 gyms per game.

They just confirmed that some gyms can't be battled in either game and are just there for lore purposes.

If the number still holds true then that would imply that between both games there's like 16 gym leaders ( the Facebook post about Bea and Alistair implies that there are more version exclusive gym leaders like them). That just leaves two that are unaccounted for

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom