• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Gyms Speculation Thread

If the number still holds true then that would imply that between both games there's like 16 gym leaders ( the Facebook post about Bea and Alistair implies that there are more version exclusive gym leaders like them). That just leaves two that are unaccounted for

I don’t think the minor league will be in the game at all. It just exits for lore purposes. I’d say we’ll probably get 10 or 11 total gyms ( 2 or 3 pairs of exclusives). I think our best bet to see the other gyms would be a sequel third version or possibly as an extra post game challenge.

Last edited:
The only surprise to me was that, apparently, what Ohmori meant by "in the story" wasn't really "in the story of both games itself", but "in the background setting of them". There really is no way to know if there will be a challengeable dark type gym now.

Edit: to*

Last edited:
The only surprise to me was that, apparently, what Ohmori meant by "in the story" wasn't really "in the story of both games itself", but "in the background setting of them". There really is no way to know if there will be a challengeable dark type gym now.

Edit: to*
To be honest, in the full transcript of the interview that GI read on the podcast Ohmori's premise was about the background, the coverage they released on the internet cut the premise, so it's not GF's fault that the message didn't come across.

maybe they will show all gyms and leaders without pokemon and explain the minor and major league a little?
even if they would show what types the gyms could be that would not be a big problem.

Considering they have major and minor league gyms, I hope this also affect the Elite 4 too. After we complete the 8 Major league gyms, we could get a Top 16 tournament before the E4 instead which would be fun!

To be honest, in the full transcript of the interview that GI read on the podcast Ohmori's premise was about the background, the coverage they released on the internet cut the premise, so it's not GF's fault that the message didn't come across.

I know that, that's what I meant. I wasn't surprised by not having all 18 gyms in one game, but I was surprised that Ohmori used "in the story" but, apparently, (after know the full context, I realized he) wasn't talking about the story itself, but about the setting background.

Last edited:
Considering Eternatus already has its role in Sword & Shield according to credible leaks, I doubt that they would do that unless there is a fourth member of that group.

Well Necrozma was already in SM too.

Well Necrozma was already in SM too.

It was, but its "role" in the plot was inconsequential, limited to the post-game, and basically an afterthought, as was the case with all prior "third game" mascots. The way that Ben Affleak characterizes Eternatus as "the evil Legendary" makes it sound a little more distinctive; it kind of has to actually do things in order for us to get the impression that it's evil. They also refer to Z/Z as "the other Legendary" which kinda makes it sound like the game will have some kind of conflict between the wolf of that game and Eternatus. It also seems as though the leaker actually played the game to some extent, so if Eternatus is mentioned in the main plot, that might be how they know of it.

And then there's the CGI scene in the trailer with Zacian and Zamazenta bracing themselves to battle whatever's causing that weather disturbance. It could just be nothing, but it could also be a hint.

It was, but its "role" in the plot was inconsequential, limited to the post-game, and basically an afterthought, as was the case with all prior "third game" mascots. The way that Ben Affleak characterizes Eternatus as "the evil Legendary" makes it sound a little more distinctive; it kind of has to actually do things in order for us to get the impression that it's evil. They also refer to Z/Z as "the other Legendary" which kinda makes it sound like the game will have some kind of conflict between the wolf of that game and Eternatus. It also seems as though the leaker actually played the game to some extent, so if Eternatus is mentioned in the main plot, that might be how they know of it.

And then there's the CGI scene in the trailer with Zacian and Zamazenta bracing themselves to battle whatever's causing that weather disturbance. It could just be nothing, but it could also be a hint.

That doesn't really say anything about whether they are going to make Ultra versions of Sword/Shield though.

That doesn't really say anything about whether they are going to make Ultra versions of Sword/Shield though.

If Eternatus is involved in the main storyline, then it raises the question of what any potential Ultra versions of SwoShi would have to run on, since those have always expanded on the third mascot's story. But what happens if that story has already been told in the initial games?

If this "minor league" means anything at all gameplay-wise, then I'd say that the extra gyms (probably no more than 4) are just a post-game substitute for the Elite Four (only they'll be called minor, I guess?). Nothing much to write home about.

It'd odd that even the revised quote mentions 18 types just because. Come on.

Last edited:
If Eternatus is involved in the main storyline, then it raises the question of what any potential Ultra versions of SwoShi would have to run on, since those have always expanded on the third mascot's story. But what happens if that story has already been told in the initial games?
i'm still not entirely convinced they're going to do a Director's Cut this time around. and if they did, with USUM considered, i wouldn't even hold my breath for a massive improvement or even changes. i imagine SwSh is going to be the end-all, be-all for the Gen 8 non-remake entries.

They're implying that you can't even battle the Minor League Gyms at all.
Perhaps, but if (emphasis added) these "Minor" Gym Leaders do appear in the story at all then I reckon it may be like the Captains from S&M where you can battle the ones you didn't face in the Post-Game via some contrived reason or another. I would genuinely be surprised if they went through the effort to make some Minor Gym Leaders and not do anything with them.

I'm now curious if the gym around the Glimmwood Tangle area could be a Psychic gym in one version of the game and Fairy in the other. The pink coloring and whole magical/mystical vibes along with the fact that G-Ponyta is in the area along with lot of fairy-types leads me to think it's possible that it could be Psychic/Fairy version exclusive.

Hmm... if Opal is the gym leader for that area I could see it happening I decided to look up some information on Opals and interestingly opals are connected to both fairies and physic material.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom