• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Galar Regional Variants aka Galarian Forms

Do You think We'll see Galar Regional Varients of Past Pokemon and would you want them

• Total voters
Love Sirfetch'd. I just hope it'll get better Hidden Ability to make it stand out because Steadfast is pretty useless. Nevertheless, he is the coolest. Since Sirfetch'd will be a Sword exclusive, does this mean Farfetch'd will be as well? It would make no sense to not be able to evolve Farfetch'd just because it's not in the right game, unless maybe you need some special item only found in Sword. Either way, I'm looking forward to the Shield exclusive evolution too :D

I do love Sirfetch'ds design. I honestly want other pokemon wielding (improvised) weapons. It realy sells the idea that Pokemon are sapient beings.

So I read somewhere that Sirfetch’d’s description reads in a similar way that Farfetch’d could still get a Galarian form. Galarian Zigzagoon’s article refers to it as “The Zigzagoon of the Galar region” and some flavor text for Sirfetch’d starts the same way: “The Farfetch’d of the Galar region”.

EDIT: The source I was thinking of is from this very forum; thanks @Tuoko for your post in the Regional/Cross-Gen evolutions thread :)

I’m not going to assume anything at this point but I wouldn’t necessarily count it out either.

the new move of Sirfetched will be a 150 base power fighting type move that needs a recharge turn.
Meteor assault, name like should be learnable by pokemon who get other meteor moves?
maybe it's a steel move? would be interesting.

We don't know how this regional evolutions evolve and why? what if there is a new stone in Galar or it's related with Dynamax energy?

taking the shield and spear/sword can see multi attacks beeing a thing for it.
Also it's abilities could change taking that it has a shield that can be used , taking that it uses weapons long reach would make sense a little.

Hope furry cutter got buffed when it comes to amount of hits, power and rising attack status everytime it's used.
___

What if Steadfast now also boosts speed when you need to recharge a turn even when caused by own move?

Last edited:
the new move of Sirfetched will be a 150 base power fighting type move that needs a recharge turn.
Meteor assault, name like should be learnable by pokemon who get other meteor moves?
maybe it's a steel move? would be interesting.
Official site says that only Sirfetch'd learn this move... Which also implies that it's a fighting type move. Maybe in gen 9 other Pokémon will learn it.

I think “regional” in this context would be referring to the fact that the evolution can still only occur in the Galar Region
I know that it refers to that. My point was that Farfetch’d should be able to evolve in every subsequent region imo if it itself doesn’t have a regional form.

I know that it refers to that. My point was that Farfetch’d should be able to evolve in every subsequent region imo if it itself doesn’t have a regional form.
I agree, I think it’s just a way for them to canonize the reason that Sirfetch’d will be cut from future games. Pretty dumb if you ask me.

I agree, I think it’s just a way for them to canonize the reason that Sirfetch’d will be cut from future games. Pretty dumb if you ask me.

I mean, it's a convenient metanarrative explanation, but they'd be cutting Pokémon from future games anyway. The understanding that they seem to have arrived at is that they can't worry about futureproofing everything if the series is just going to continue to get bigger and bigger. From that perspective, I think Sirfetch'd is more of a way to creatively expand on a popular idea from last generation while working within the confines that they've found themselves in. Sure you could argue "Why not just make a Farfetch'd variant then?" but that's not as novel and it wouldn't give Farfetch'd a big stat boost, since the Alola forms all had the same BSTs as their Kantonian counterparts. Plus, if they do want to include it in a future non-Galar game, nothing's actually stopping them. They could just make it available as a trade or something like in Let's Go. If they're serious about not wanting peoples' Pokémon that are stored in the Home app to feel "useless," then they must know that they can't leave even the context-heavy stuff like regional variants and Ultra Beasts to sit around until the next Galar or Alola remake rolls by.

Last edited:
I mean, it's a convenient metanarrative explanation, but they'd be cutting Pokémon from future games anyway. The understanding that they seem to have arrived at is that they can't worry about futureproofing everything if the series is just going to continue to get bigger and bigger. From that perspective, I think Sirfetch'd is more of a way to creatively expand on a popular idea from last generation while working within the confines that they've found themselves in. Sure you could argue "Why not just make a Farfetch'd variant then?" but that's not as novel and it wouldn't give Farfetch'd a big stat boost, since the Alola forms all had the same BSTs as their Kantonian counterparts. Plus, if they do want to include it in a future non-Galar game, nothing's actually stopping them. They could just make it available as a trade or something like in Let's Go. If they're serious about not wanting peoples' Pokémon that are stored in the Home app to feel "useless," then they must know that they can't leave even the context-heavy stuff like regional variants and Ultra Beasts left to sit around until the next Galar or Alola remake rolls by.
Right, it’s the “cutting Pokémon” part that I think is dumb. I realize this is a rather minimalistic way of communicating my distaste, but Ive expressed my thoughts on the problem at large so often that this is all I can really muster at this point. Im not surprised that they want to use lore as a convenient way for explaining Pokémon out of future games it just irks me a bit is all.

Or a new evo method via move or stone? Via that new move? Tutor learned.

I’ve had some time to process that we most likely just got our first glimpse of Galarian Ponyta. The Ponyta line is one of my favorites ever since Gen 1 so seeing a regional variant, and having it possibly be a Fairy type to boot, had me very excited. Depending on typing I was planning on having it be my go to Fairy instead of Galarian Weezing

But now in hindsight this base form isn’t speaking to me near as much as it could be. It’s just...too “girly” to me. If you know some of my favorite Pokémon I’m not the one person to normally play into those stereotypes. But this is like, Gen 3 My Little Pony, the diabetes inducing sappy sweet direct to video ones before Lauren Faust made it cool again. I really, really need Galarian Rapidash or a possible future evolution to impress me after this.

I think the new Ponyta is cute but I wish the horn wasn't black and thick. I also think the mane is a little bit too overdimensional. There is a little bit too much fluff similar to Mega Altaria. I also think the mane should have had more colors than just blue and green. Mabye it should have had some purple and pink as well? Now it just looks like a weird shiny Ponyta drowning in fluff.

I like how the mane sparkles when it fell in love with the other Ponyta. That was really wholesome. :love:

Anyone else getting Princess Celestia vibes from G. Ponyta's color scheme? James Turner must be a brony or something.
ae43229481920af92a0e58526f6a4dc5af0e1387r1-554-756v2_uhq.jpg
latest
A little. Seems like Galarian Ponyta takes its colors from the pink and green parts of Princess Celestia's mane.

Maybe we'll get a Princess Luna shiny. Also now I want to get back into MLP even more now....

I disagree with the notion that Sirfetch'd won't be in future games because his evolution-method might be region-locked.

They could easily relax on the evolution-conditions a bit in future-entries or find other reasons to implement them. There are plenty of ways to imagine them dealing with this accordingly.

Galar Ponyta? Fairy? Fairy/ghost? Fairy/dark?
That horn and mist dissapering tail? Pegasus could be fairy/flying but could be fairy/??? with Levitate or learn magnet rise.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom