• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM142: Burn! Swell Up!! Full Battle!!!

Great battle as ever. Sadly, Rowlet got out from the Solar Beam only to be defeated afterwards by Venusaur Vine Wipe. Funny part of Melmetal owned the Empoleon and slam along with Kukui to the door.

Overall rating: A+

It felt like or they are going to beat it or they don't stand a chance. I am a little dissapointed into Pikachu, but was surprised by Melmetal

Great battle as ever. Sadly, Rowlet got out from the Solar Beam only to be defeated afterwards by Venusaur Vine Wipe.
Keep in mind, it got hit with several super-effective Sludge Bombs before that though, as well as the damage it took from Braviary.

Feeling a bit pissed on how Lycanroc was beaten so quickly, only for its screentime to be shifted and wasted on Rowlet's pointless ping-pong gag and let's not forget that magical Feather Dance again.
I was disappointed with this too, but I'm thinking they did so since Lycanroc just got a lot of spotlight with the Gladion fight and they want to give screentime to Ash's other Pokemon; Melmetal even got its first win.

Finally-no Team Rocket shenanigans, no Bewear cutscenes, no long bouts of pointless exposition, no flashbacks. Just great musical scores, featuring many I might add, and constant battling (in spite of all the ineffective move choices we saw today/tonight). One of my favorite Sun & Moon episodes as of yet.

An enjoyable episode but the most disappointing thing about the episode was Rowlet

I find it rubbish that it was able to defeat Braviary, found the Seed Bomb Ping Pong boring to watch so glad it was defeated by Vensuaur though annoyed that Feather Dance turns into Double Team as it avoided taking any damage

Glad that Torracat got some battling by managing to defeat Venusaur, Melmetal wasn't that great if I'm honest

Feeling a bit pissed on how Lycanroc was beaten so quickly,

You try taking a full force Sky Drop with that much force and hit the ground and tell me how you were able to come out on top unscathed.

Lycanroc clearly took a lot of damage from that move, more than Gladion's Lycanroc would ever do to it in most of battle.

Honestly with how hard Lycanroc hit the ground, I was surprised it was able to survive, let alone almost survive another heavy attack only to faint soon after.

You try taking a full force Sky Drop with that much force and hit the ground and tell me how you were able to come out on top unscathed.

Lycanroc clearly took a lot of damage from that move, more than Gladion's Lycanroc would ever do to it in most of battle.

Honestly with how hard Lycanroc hit the ground, I was surprised it was able to survive, let alone almost survive another heavy attack only to faint soon after.
I never said anything about the moves? Yes, a Sky Drop would hurt... my point was that they took Lycanroc out when he only managed to Counter one rock back to Braviary. They pretty much shifted potential Lycanroc screentime to pointless Rowlet gags, whose win against Braviary comes off as cheap as well. It would have been believable if Lycanroc had managed to deal more damage to the latter and hence Rowlet managing to defeat its opponent with ease.

Melmetal getting a win was a nice surprise. Pikachu has had his wins during the league and will be fighting Tapu Koko.
The episode was enjoyable, but not as good as the previous one. The battles were fast-paced with some heartwarming moments between Ash and Kukui. I would have prefered Lycanroc getting a win instead of Mokuroh, but that's okay. Next week looks pretty good as well.

Last edited:
Venesaur was too easily defeated even with Terrocat. Same with Empoleon. I can see Lucario and Poipoles evo being a tie.

I never said anything about the moves? Yes, a Sky Drop would hurt... my point was that they took Lycanroc out when he only managed to Counter one rock back to Braviary.

Sigh Why is it that people are unable to understand my responses (from another forum and this one)

YOU said you were upset that Lycanroc was knocked out so quickly.

I really don't understand why you are not understanding what I'm saying. Lycanroc lost quickly because it was slammed into the ground likely at a force far greater than any normal Pokemon should've been able to survive.

I'm so confused as to why you don't understand that. On top of a follow up to another heavy hit that directly hit Lycanroc with really no defense.

Furthermore my confusion is why you think you said nothing about Pokemon moves has anything to do with what I said.

For example:

Person: I don't like bananas because they are yellow
Person B: They are yellow because of photosynthesis (hypothetically, I don't actually know if they are yellow because of it or not).
Person: I didn't say anything about photosynthesis?
Person B: I don't see why that matters when you said bananas are yellow and I explained why they are yellow.

Either my logic is so incomprehensible to understand because I must be thinking in an entirely different language however that would work (and no I don't mean actual different languages). Or my comprehension is so utterly low that everything anyone responds with to me is confusing.

I just don't know anymore about what's going on.

Venesaur was too easily defeated even with Terrocat. Same with Empoleon. I can see Lucario and Poipoles evo being a tie.

Have to agree there, two strong fully evolved starters only to be defeated in a few moves

True Torracat had the type advantage against Venusaur but still

As for Empoleon, it only received a few hits from moves that were either Steel type or a not so powerful but effective Electro Web. If Thunderbolt hit, it would be more believable

Sigh Why is it that people are unable to understand my responses (from another forum and this one)

YOU said you were upset that Lycanroc was knocked out so quickly.

I really don't understand why you are not understanding what I'm saying. Lycanroc lost quickly because it was slammed into the ground likely at a force far greater than any normal Pokemon should've been able to survive.

I'm so confused as to why you don't understand that. On top of a follow up to another heavy hit that directly hit Lycanroc with really no defense.

Furthermore my confusion is why you think you said nothing about Pokemon moves has anything to do with what I said.

For example:

Person: I don't like bananas because they are yellow
Person B: They are yellow because of photosynthesis (hypothetically, I don't actually know if they are yellow because of it or not).
Person: I didn't say anything about photosynthesis?
Person B: I don't see why that matters when you said bananas are yellow and I explained why they are yellow.

Either my logic is so incomprehensible to understand because I must be thinking in an entirely different language however that would work (and no I don't mean actual different languages). Or my comprehension is so utterly low that everything anyone responds with to me is confusing.

I just don't know anymore about what's going on.
And you misinterpreted my words and went on a lengthy off-topic drivel. My issue was Lycanroc being defeated quickly (regardless of how it happened) and its screentime being shifted to time wasting gags from Rowlet, with the latter probably hogging most of the screentime. Rowlet's win against Braviary would have been far more believable if Lycanroc had managed to land a few more hits on Braviary and then be defeated.
I didn't have a problem with Lycanroc being defeated (I even predicted it), considering it took a lot of strong attacks... but I do have a problem with them defeating him so quickly, he could have used at least a minute more and damaged Braviary a bit.

So yes, it's the latter scenario that you described.

Last edited:
Have to agree there, two strong fully evolved starters only to be defeated in a few moves

True Torracat had the type advantage against Venusaur but still

As for Empoleon, it only received a few hits from moves that were either Steel type or a not so powerful but effective Electro Web. If Thunderbolt hit, it would be more believable
I agree about Empoleon; it was very frustrating to see Pikachu fail to land any Electric type moves on it or Ash use Melmetal's super-effective Thunderbolt on it, instead opting to spam 4x-ineffective moves instead.

Torracat, however, was different as I believe it was said (forgot who, I think Oak) that Incineroar's Blast Burn affected Torracat's Fire Fang and Fire Blast, making them stronger than normal in that instance.

Torracat, however, was different as I believe it was said (forgot who, I think Oak) that Incineroar's Blast Burn affected Torracat's Fire Fang and Fire Blast, making them stronger than normal in that instance.

True with Torracat, would have been more believable though if it was Blaze or Torracat had Flash Fire (which it can't have)

P.S.

Kukui, not Oak

I feel like Ash is going to lose this badly.

Maybe or maybe not.
Keep in mind, it got hit with several super-effective Sludge Bombs before that though, as well as the damage it took from Braviary.
Yeah, I know that. But still, he should had already notice that brave bird is a suicide move that ultimately lead to defeat. At least, rowlet should do some more damage, before going down. But nonetheless, Torracat did a hell lot of job for taking Venusaur.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom