• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview Pocket Monsters the series (2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where does it say that they're going to different regions to do research tasks for this new professor? I don't see that anywhere on Serebii.

If they were going the Digimon route, we wouldn't be debating over whether or not this is a reboot. It would have been made clear if that was the case ages ago. We also really didn't see them traveling to the different islands in SM too often. Ash and his friends were on Melemel Island for the vast majority of the series.

I honestly do not understand why people are so set on the idea that the new series is going to be promoting Go and especially Masters over Sword/Shield. Two new characters introduced have new Pokemon, so they still want to promote the new main series games to some degree at least. Nothing about the new series thus far makes me think that they want to promote the mobile games that badly. It would be especially questionable with Masters since I don't think that is making nearly as big of a financial splash compared to Go. It's also strange that you think that they're repeating the same formula as SM. Even with having a home base, the general premise sounds like it requires Ash and Go to travel around frequently, which is more than I can say for SM where we rarely left Melemele for a long period of time.

Anyway, I'm pretty happy with the news. I wasn't expecting them to have a new professor. He looks like a younger version of Professor Oak, but I can also see a bit of Professor Elm with his hair. Still, he looks fine. Koharu looks pretty nice. She has a cute design and I like her hair. I also like that she as a Yamper because it is adorable. Even though they are living in the Kanto region, that doesn't necessarily mean that they are from Kanto. They could have easily moved from Galar, but it's also just as likely that Galar Pokemon exist in Kanto too. That happens in the anime with every new generation introduced. Having a home base in Kanto is a bit strange, but it might make it easier for Ash to just stumble across their lab. I thought that people would be a bit happier over this news, especially when people were panicking over the possibility of no female lead. Granted, they don't make it clear if Koharu is traveling with the group or what her goal is, but considering that she has a Yamper and is Go's childhood friend, I think that there's at least a decent chance that she'll be part of the main cast.
Masters for obvious reasons (Gym Leaders/E4/Champions) Characters that you would find in the older games.

Also it might make a lot of sense for the Pokeballs and items to be stored in the Rotom Phones, just like Go does.

Last edited:
I think it's safe to assume that Gou will be tasked by Sakuragi to catch every Pokemon and hunt for Mew for research purposes. The big question is what is incentivising Ash to travel with Gou? I'm unwilling to believe that Ash would put his dream of becoming a Pokemon master on hold for a research project like this, when even the reveal trailer has him declaring his goal. There must be some battle focused event in each region that Ash needs to take part in, be it taking on older leagues, a potential World Champions League, or something else.

I really like the design of Koharu, and the 2 pretty looking backgrounds alleviate my fears that this series will look too cartoony.

We're really still jumping to conclusions that this series is a bust or an AU or "has no potential" over nothing but art work? It's still bare bones information.

I will say that setting artwork is BEAUTIFUL. So lush and detailed! It makes me want to see it with the characters living in it even more. This really could be one of the best looking series yet, so I'm dying to see it in motion.

The professor looks generic as hell to me. Not bad, mind you. Just generic. Definitely not super interesting after Kukui. His daughter, on the other hand, has a very nice design. And her Yamper, so cute! Although, I'll admit I got a bad feeling when I saw that she's Gou's childhood friend. I sincerely hope this is not Serena 2.0 and this girl gets to stand on her own.

I definitely did not think their "homebase" would be in Kanto, or that they'd have a homebase at all. This has got me very curious. Does this mean the travelling aspect is still out? Or is it just somewhere for them to go in between travels?

Definitely still have more questions than answers. But I can appreciate that they're (slowly) beginning to reveal more tangible details about the show.

Is anyone else getting sailor vibes from Koharu? They are in Vermillion City, so maybe she is tasked with sailing them between regions. I think that's even an anchor pattern on her dress.
Koharu_SS.png

The big question is what is incentivising Ash to travel with Gou? I'm unwilling to believe that Ash would put his dream of becoming a Pokemon master on hold for a research project like this, when even the reveal trailer has him declaring his goal. There must be some battle focused event in each region that Ash needs to take part in, be it taking on older leagues, a potential World Champions League, or something else.
Might be connected to his unknown decision from Sun/Moon 145.
Re-entering old leagues would make sense from an "in-universe" perspective and would be a way to show off his older Pokémon, but I'm not sold on the idea that's what is happening. I see some potentially big advantages to it, but also some possible pitfalls, especially in terms of pacing.

On the other hand the fact this show is just called "Pocket Monsters" and the focus on old regions might mean it won't be divided cleanly into arcs based off the current game that's been released anymore.

R.I.P. Old Pokemon

Pokemon Original Anime Series - 1998-2019
Pokemon Manga Series - 1998-2019
Pokemon Movies based on Anime- 1998-2016 (2019?)

It looks as if TPCi is wanting a fresh restart for the series to suite people today. Dunno if this is something to do with the Japanese Eras [Heisei (1989-2019) to Reiwa (2019-)] but bit it seems so likely. Out with the aging old, and in with the new slate.

I guarantee you Koharu will be one of those characters that will just be there to be "cute"... We won't even see her that much considering that Ash and Gou will be travelling all the regions.

72879410_1213375058854502_27208411661729792_n.jpg

I don't know if the artstyle will be steadily like this in the animé, but if it is the case I can say some quality is being heaten to be served on the table. At first random glance, I wasn't sure if it was a drawing or a picture.
Vermillion City for the new series

I just noticed that Koharu even has a cherry blossom in her hair.
From Japanese 小 (ko) meaning "small" combined with 春 (haru) meaning "spring".
Just to clarify, whilst 小 & 春 do mean "small" and "Spring" individually, when they come together to form the compound Kanji of Koharu/小春 it instead becomes "Late Autumn".

Also Sakuragi (桜木) is Cherry Blossom Trees, not just the flowers themselves. (I know this wasn't you that said it but I wanted to bring that up.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom