• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview Pocket Monsters the series (2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
At this rate, Pokemon is starting to go the way of Disney, Star Wars, Thomas and Friends, Marvel and DC. Turning into cold hollow factories that's cannibalising the once unique and special franchise for the sake of money. We are in hard times, and this is nothing but a wake up call to the cruel real world that we've tried to escape from.
How the hell is it on topic with the post you quoted? I'm sorry if I’m coming off as rude, but it’s getting really annoying to see constant (not to mention horribly) off topic posts about the series spiralling downward and posts toned like they’re speaking for everyone due to something you personally dislike. We don’t even know how the series will go yet. I'm refraining from posting about it since I need more information. I refuse to believe that they will not be promoting Galar Pokemon prominently since the anime's their main marketing tool.

To clear a few of your misconceptions, first of all GameFreak do NOT write the anime. No, they won’t stop promoting their own product, and yes, they exist to earn money. NO they haven’t got a personal vendetta against the UK. They really don’t. Your argument can be used by the Japanese to complain that GameFreak is unpatriotic since the most game breaking glitches were in the buggy mess that’s Kanto and they’ve gone overseas, the French to complain that they made games in their region unsinpired. Everyone will have their own opinions but I assure you Galar being based on the UK has absolutely no bearing on the marketing decision. The anime would be in this state even if Sword and Shield were based on the freaking Bahama Islands.

There’s a venting thread the mods linked which you can go and vent on without taking over the discussion on the entire anime section. I apologise in advance if I come off as rude or condescending, but these posts taking over any and every discussion is getting mentally draining for some users.

You can confine your venting to the designated Venting Thread.

Last edited:
How the hell is it on topic with the post you quoted? I'm sorry if I’m coming off as rude, but it’s getting really annoying to see constant (not to mention horribly) off topic posts about the series spiralling downward and posts toned like they’re speaking for everyone due to something you personally dislike. We don’t even know how the series will go yet. I'm refraining from posting about it since I need more information. I refuse to believe that they will not be promoting Galar Pokemon prominently since the anime's their main marketing tool.

To clear a few of your misconceptions, first of all GameFreak do NOT write the anime. No, they won’t stop promoting their own product, and yes, they exist to earn money. NO they haven’t got a personal vendetta against the UK. They really don’t. Your argument can be used by the Japanese to complain that GameFreak is unpatriotic since the most game breaking glitches were in the buggy mess that’s Kanto and they’ve gone overseas, the French to complain that they made games in their region unsinpired. Everyone will have their own opinions but I assure you Galar being based on the UK has absolutely no bearing on the marketing decision. The anime would be in this state even if Sword and Shield were based on the freaking Bahama Islands.

There’s a venting thread the mods linked which you can go and vent on without taking over the discussion on the entire anime section. I apologise in advance if I come off as rude or condescending, but these posts taking over any and every discussion is getting mentally draining for some users.
He literally lives in the UK, so it's understandable why he's this angry with the franchise.

It's the different direction that's bothering me. Kalos had the similar story to OS, AG, DP and BW so I don't see them complaining. I can understand the different direction happening to Alola since that's starting out, but why Galar as well when the UK is just as big as France? My point is that Galar is not going to be showcased as much as all the other popular regions in this new series.

Also, I am addressing TPCi in general, not just GF.

He literally lives in the UK, so it's understandable why he's this angry with the franchise.
Well, Nintendo doesn’t literally recognise my country and I'm not really throwing a fuss about it. This thread is totally unrelated to how people from UK feel about Galar...

It's the different direction that's bothering me. Kalos had the similar story to OS, AG, DP and BW so I don't see them complaining. Also, I am addressing TPCi in general, not just GF.
Hawaiians could complain about how Sun/Moon took a different direction. Do you have any way of even knowing what the new direction is? I don’t. I've actually stopped posting about the new anime since I literally haven’t been able to figure out what’s going to happen, and will wait till further information.
This thread's about the anime discussion, and not about how the franchise would die if the UK region is not hyper glorified.
The size of the region is also irrelevant to any creativity decisions mostly, specially when it comes to releasing a fresh product.

Well, Nintendo doesn’t literally recognise my country and I'm not really throwing a fuss about it. This thread is totally unrelated to how people from UK feel about Galar...

Hawaiians could complain about how Sun/Moon took a different direction. Do you have any way of even knowing what the new direction is? I don’t. I've actually stopped posting about the new anime since I literally haven’t been able to figure out what’s going to happen, and will wait till further information.
This thread's about the anime discussion, and not about how the franchise would die if the UK region is not hyper glorified.
The size of the region is also irrelevant to any creativity decisions mostly, specially when it comes to releasing a fresh product.
I'm not saying that the new direction will be bad or good, since we haven't got much from it. All we know is that the creators want to take a different direction with the series.

Would've been much easier to express all this if I talked face-to-face

omg the gloom and doom in this thread... seriously just chill guys! Koharu is so cute!
So I guess I’ll comment on the new information! The new characters seem unneeded to me.. I'd have preferred Galar getting more blatant focus with Magnolia and Sonia being used, but I think the plan might be to extend this approach beyond Galar. The girl has a real wonky haircut... I wonder how much hair gel she uses to maintain it?
I agree with whoever described the new professor as the result of Oak and Elm doing the fusion dance.

The art and scenery look great though! I really wish they’d reveal more on the actual premise of the show going forward.
I'm not saying that the new direction will be bad or good, since we haven't got much from it. All we know is that the creators want to take a different direction with the series.
You’re literally assuming everything negatively about the new direction, so any reasonable person will infer that you think it’s bad. So there’s really no need for anyone to be declaring that it spells the end of the franchise?

In that case we will probably not see Gardenia since her VA died of colon cancer 6 years ago.

Yet how come in Masters there is a replacemebt VA, unless they consider that a completely different series.

Seems likely the case, since the anime is just there to market the entire franchise, and not the games as it once did.

I don't really have an answer for that, but we might not get to see Gardenia again. Although Tien's Japanese VA died as well in DB Kai and they continued to have him around since the series was already going and held voiced lines. It's possible they consider Masters utterly different from the show. And it is DeNA handling it; not GF or TPCi.

What I am getting at is that the franchise (compared with what it had from Gen 1-5) had lost what made it Pokemon in the first place. It's heart. All I see now is shell of what was, and what could've been.
That’s literally your opinion and it isn’t a fact. Specially since you quite literally never elaborate on what the franchise's heart is. Just because they don’t treat UK like royalty doesn’t mean the franchise lost its soul. The thread is off topic for this anyway and I linked the Venting thread for you to voice these concerns.

Just like with Gou/Go I just hope that Koharu ends up as an interesting and enjoyable character. This is all I want. But when it comes to female characters most of the time end up as passive background fanservice. So far the series only handled four of its major female characters probably: Jessie, May, Dawn, and Lille. So their track record for female characters is not the best.

And to be honest, I do not think that Koharu will be handled well since she won't be a major character. If she would be, they would have shown her in the promotional posters and videos. I think she will be more of a recurring side character like the Professor.

And even if she will end up becoming a traveling companion for Ash and Go, I do not think she will be a battler. None of the female characters in Pokémon are. Misty became one, but that happened off-screen or in special episodes after her departure of the anime, Lana is also strong, but also she battles pretty rarely. Iris is the closest thing we had for a strong female battler that traveled with Ash. And that isn't saying much, because like Lana she didn't battle all the time.

Last edited:
I'm actually disappointed that none of the video game characters are a part of the new anime. Because a lot of them seemed to have potentials like Milo, Nessa, Bea, and Allister. We first have to see how the anime handles Go and maybe Koharu if she will become a companion, but so far they do not make the best impression for me. Go feels a bit to close to Ash's personality from what I have seen so far and Koharu just screams typical girl character for me.

I don't see Go similar to Ash personality wise. Go is suppose to be cool, but can be occasionally hot-headed. Ash is excitable and wears his emotions on his sleeve. The writers set their personalities up to contrast one another.

As for the lack of game characters, I am glad that they are using their own characters. They can now create the characters that they want to create and not have to adapt game characters or alter their backgrounds to have them fit in.

Last edited:
I'm actually disappointed that none of the video game characters are a part of the new anime. Because a lot of them seemed to have potentials like Milo, Nessa, Bea, and Allister. We first have to see how the anime handles Go and maybe Koharu if she will become a companion, but so far they do not make the best impression for me. Go feels a bit to close to Ash's personality from what I have seen so far and Koharu just screams typical girl character for me.
It's also probably to do with the Japanese Era changing from Heisei (1989-2019) to Reiwa

Some of the actors and people that worked on the anime and games have by now since Gen 4 have either retired, moved on or passed on. Similar respect is why The Rescuers never had a Third Movie since the voice actress for Bianca died.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom