• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview Pocket Monsters the series (2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know they're exploring all regions but I hope they don't focus much on Alola as we've just spent the last three series there

Considering the negative reception towards the Alola series, and the fact that anime was set there for the past few years, I don't think we will see a lot of focus on Alola.

I don't know why I bother as there's nothing new except maybe a hint of the newbies' personalities, but here's what was in the "new" trailer regardless.

The base of adventure & new characters!

The Adventure Base - The Sakuragi Institute in Vermilion City, Kanto. With the Sakuragi Institute as their base, Ash and Gou will travel to each Region!

"To understand Pokémon is to understand the world itself!" Professor Sakuragi - Supporting the adventures of Ash and Gou from at the Institute where he researches Pokémon.

"You're late, Gou!" Koharu - A ten year old schoolgirl and daughter of Professor Sakuragi, she's childhood friends with Gou.

Hah~ I hope we see a more substantive trailer in the near future.

Fortunately for me, I wasn't disappointed this week because the professor and Koharu is all I was expecting. It's become pretty clear that whatever the "new information" is each Sunday is going to end up getting leaked a couple of days beforehand. I'll be pleased if we're ever thrown an additional surprise, but honestly it's kind of nice to have lowered expectations and not be let down week after week.

There's still a lot I want to know, but it's also become pretty obvious that they're taking their time to reveal all of it. Hopefully there's a good reason for it, and we're in store for something exciting. The one thing I still want more than anything is a trailer, solely so I can see the new art in motion. The characters look pretty good flat, and I cannot get over just how gorgeous that scene artwork is, so I'm really excited to see them together and moving.

Considering the negative reception towards the Alola series, and the fact that anime was set there for the past few years, I don't think we will see a lot of focus on Alola.
SM's reception was hardly negative at all. Maybe initially after the entire Kalos finals backlash, not to mention the sudden artstyle shift and the school prospect. But its reputation gradually increased especially after the first year, and reached peak positive with the Alola finals.

It's only overall problems were the lack of travelling, the adventure aspect of it... and the lack of hardcore and intense battles.

Yeah I doubt they care about negative reception. More so, the reception towards SM has improved.
SM's reception was hardly negative at all. Maybe initially after the entire Kalos finals backlash, not to mention the sudden artstyle shift and the school prospect. But its reputation gradually increased especially after the first year, and reached peak positive with the Alola finals.

I was under the impression that SM was not particularity well-liked. Everywhere I went online seemed to see it as one of the worst, if not the worst, anime series.

I was under the impression that SM was not particularity well-liked. Everywhere I went online seemed to see it as one of the worst, if not the worst, anime series.
Where "everywhere"? It had its downs and bad pacing, but it's a decent series. Better than OS and the Hoenn arc of AG, and definitely miles better than BW.

I don't think that SM is a hugely popular series like DP and XY were, but I don't think it is hated that much either. I see plenty of people liking SM here and other sites. Even before Ash won the Alola League, the reception towards SM seemed to be pretty positive. At worst, I'd say it's more mixed than a series that is overwhelmingly disliked like what happened with BW.

I don't think that SM is a hugely popular series like DP and XY were, but I don't think it is hated that much either. I see plenty of people liking SM here and other sites. Even before Ash won the Alola League, the reception towards SM seemed to be pretty positive. At worst, I'd say it's more mixed than a series that is overwhelmingly disliked like what happened with BW.
Yet we're looking at it all in a western perspective, when we are suppose to be looking at the anime to what the Japanese think. It was by pure chance that the Yokai Watch fad threw a spanner into Gen 6, which explains to why Gen 6 was not as popular in Japan at the time. Gen 7 meanwhile came out when the Yokai Watch fad died away, and thus was able to gain more airing. However due to the change in airing, it is unsure.

Yet we're looking at it all in a western perspective, when we are suppose to be looking at the anime to what the Japanese think. It was by pure chance that the Yokai Watch fad threw a spanner into Gen 6, which explains to why Gen 6 was not as popular in Japan at the time. Gen 7 meanwhile came out when the Yokai Watch fad died away, and thus was able to gain more airing. However due to the change in airing, it is unsure.
That mentality no longer applies in this modern age, where Pokemon is 20 times more popular in western countries than in Japan itself. Don't even forget that this is the Reiwa Era now.

Last edited:
That mentality no longer applies in this modern age, where Pokemon is 20 times more popular in western countries than in Japan itself. Don't even forget that this Reiwa Era now.
Perhaps this is where Pokemon truly starts becoming international, expanding more out into the world than in Japan.

I'd agree with you if we were in Early-2017. But I am seeing the reception changing ever since the UB Arc began.

Where "everywhere"? It had its downs and bad pacing, but it's a decent series. Better than OS and the Hoenn arc of AG, and definitely miles better than BW.

Mainly Pokemon subreddits, especially the massive sub r/pokemon where it seemed like most people disliked the series. I only saw a few positive comments about it.

I hope the next bit of info gives us some insight on what Ash's goal will be, assuming he has one. My greatest fear right now is that we're gonna have SuMo 2.0. and Ash is going be spending most of his time just screwing around and not doing anything of value. And I hope we can see a bit of Galar soon. I really hope Ash will challenge the gyms there. It would be such a missed opportunity for him not to.

Mainly Pokemon subreddits, especially the massive sub r/pokemon where it seemed like most people disliked the series. I only saw a few positive comments about it.
You should know by now that most Pokemon Subreddits are hate circlejerks, especially when it comes to Ash. I try and avoid them mostly since you won't ever find any signs of intelligent life there. They are not a reliable source of information or opinion for that matter.

You should know by now that most Pokemon Subreddits are hate circlejerks, especially when it comes to Ash.

I think you're underselling those subs. I was a member on r/pokemon for a year, and it wasn't so bad (until they allowed memes, in which case the sub devolved into kids spamming outdated memes they don't understand for fake internet points). There were quite a few anti-Ash posts and the OP of them got called out.

Other subs are actually pretty good like r/TruePokemon or r/stunfisk.

I try and avoid them mostly since you won't ever find any signs of intelligent beings there.

He said, commenting on a Pokemon anime discussion forum /s.

I'm unfamiliar with how Japanese fans feel about any of the series, so of course I was looking at it in a western perspective. I was focused on just the general reception towards SM that I've seen online.

Perhaps this is where Pokemon truly starts becoming international, expanding more out into the world than in Japan.

I'm pretty sure that started ages ago. The franchise has been more focused on its international appeal than just how well it does in Japan for a long time.

I hope the next bit of info gives us some insight on what Ash's goal will be, assuming he has one. My greatest fear right now is that we're gonna have SuMo 2.0. and Ash is going be spending most of his time just screwing around and not doing anything of value. And I hope we can see a bit of Galar soon. I really hope Ash will challenge the gyms there. It would be such a missed opportunity for him not to.

I can understand that concern since SM mainly stuck to one location. I wouldn't go as far as to say that Ash was just screwing around and not doing anything of value during the series, but I do definitely feel like they didn't explore the Alola region nearly as well as they have done with other regions in the anime. But at the same time, I feel like the chances of that happening are a bit slim right now. Even with the limited information we have and knowing that Ash has a homebase, it sounds like the general premise of the series requires for them to travel to different locations at least somewhat frequently. I definitely want to see Ash take part in the Galar Gyms too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom