• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is Game Freak we're talking about.

I would love for the Arceus event and the Distortion World to be included in the remakes, but since OR/AS completely ignored the additional Emerald content, I wouldn't exactly count on it.

Well, it’s fun to dream...

I prefer Isshu to Unova since I prefer the games to stay away from real-world references, namely american.
M A X I M U M W E E B

I also fear that they would be too conservative with these remakes.

I'm also afraid of GameFreak being too conservative, and now that I think about it, it's likely this will happen. The most change I can see is a wider Pokedex and a few minor tweaks. Having to turn Sinnoh's 2D grid into a fully-fleshed out 3D world seems like too much work for GameFreak when they could easily just slap some 3D paint on DPPt and it'll sell well irregardless. Why bother improving something when you can just rely on nostalgia? Let's Go already proved you can do basically the minimum and still turn a nice profit.

M A X I M U M W E E B

I'm also afraid of GameFreak being too conservative, and now that I think about it, it's likely this will happen. The most change I can see is a wider Pokedex and a few minor tweaks. Having to turn Sinnoh's 2D grid into a fully-fleshed out 3D world seems like too much work for GameFreak when they could easily just slap some 3D paint on DPPt and it'll sell well irregardless. Why bother improving something when you can just rely on nostalgia? Let's Go already proved you can do basically the minimum and still turn a nice profit.

Nothing will top the original pop culture milestone that was Generation I (which might extend to II if you’re being generous) so I’m inclined to count LGPE as something of an exception. Everyone cares about Kanto, but only dedicated fans care about Sinnoh for the most part.

But I do admit that remaking DPPt is more questionable than any of the past main series remakes so far. Going from Generation IV to VIII would be more demanding than any previous generational leap, and on top of that there are practical concerns that didn’t even exist until now such as the “not programming every species into every game” thing.

But that won’t stop me from daydreaming about it...

but only dedicated fans care about Sinnoh for the most part.

While Kanto definitely has a greater fan-base than Sinnoh, I'd say more than just dedicated fans care about it. I mean, when GameFreak released those "Visit ____" videos prior to the reveal of SwSh, the "Visit Sinnoh" one had received the most attention out of all the regions, beating out even Kanto. While it is in no way as mainstream as Kanto, I'd say a decent amount of regular and casual fans care about the region and wish to see it remade in 3D.

But I do admit that remaking DPPt is more questionable than any of the past main series remakes so far. Going from Generation IV to VIII would be more demanding than any previous generational leap, and on top of that there are practical concerns that didn’t even exist until now such as the “not programming every species into every game” thing.

Very true.

Considering the bigger picture of main series remakes, I just realized that each one has added more demands atop the last:

Fire Red Leaf Green: Improved graphical and sound quality
Heart Gold Soul Silver: Improved graphical and sound quality, second screen, wi fi connectivity
Omega Ruby Alpha Sapphire: Improved sound quality, second screen, wi fi and Street Pass connectivity, 3D models and animations, Amie, Mega Evolution
(Cyan Diamond Magenta Pearl) Improved sound quality, 3D models and animations, reworked map, Amie/refresh, Poke Jobs/Pelago, customization, replace HMs, reworked regional Poke Dex

So I find it hard to say how long this will keep up. Many are thinking that GF have gone downhill in recent years, but part of me wonders if that’s simply due to not keeping pace with technical progress that’s accumulated over time. It’s 2019 on the Switch and they’re still using the basic formula initially developed for the Game Boy in 1996.

The complete absence of downloadable content is conspicuous to me. I‘m no gamer myself, but were there other major 3DS franchises that wouldn‘t give compatibility patches for XY and OrAs, or between SM and UsUm? Were largely identical follow up versions like UsUm even a thing for other series in the 3DS era? I’m starting to wonder how much of the usual Pokémon formula might be outdated at this point.

But again, that won’t stop me from daydreaming about it. Generation IV is the one I am most personally attached to, so it’s something I like to imagine.

(Cyan Diamond Magenta Pearl) Improved sound quality, 3D models and animations, reworked map, Amie/refresh, Poke Jobs/Pelago, customization, replace HMs, reworked regional Poke Dex

I feel expectations for DPPt remakes would have Camp instead of Amie/Refresh, and only have Poke Jobs instead of both Pelago and Jobs, and would include new Gigantamax forms, a post-game story related to Giratina or even Arceus, and Sinnoh variants besides all the other things you listed.

I feel expectations for DPPt remakes would have Camp instead of Amie/Refresh, and only have Poke Jobs instead of both Pelago and Jobs, and would include new Gigantamax forms, a post-game story related to Giratina or even Arceus, and Sinnoh variants besides all the other things you listed.

I don’t think Camping and Poke Jobs would be in DPPt remakes as both those mechanics are tied to the setting of Galar. Camping if I recall correctly relies on the Wild Area, which I can’t see being implemented 1:1 in Sinnoh as Mount Coronet is taking up the center of the map. Jobs meanwhile is connected to Galar’s industrial scene.

But I do think those mechanics could work in Sinnoh if tweaked to fit the setting. The Underground could host the Jobs/Pelago equivalent as well as the Secret Base aspect of Camping. The playing with all your Pokémon out at once aspect of Camping could be in Amity Square, while the Curry aspect could be retooled into Poffins.

I can also see Corviknight Taxi being replaced by Drifblim since it’s described in game as liking to carry people around.

I would like a post game story for Giratina and the Distortion world in a similar vein to what Rayquayza got in AsOr. In fact, I would prefer that over doing the Heatran plot from Platinum, Heatran doesn’t need much of a setup anyway.

And I somewhat doubt they would create new regional variants for an already established region, but anything’s possible I suppose.

Considering the bigger picture of main series remakes, I just realized that each one has added more demands atop the last:

Fire Red Leaf Green: Improved graphical and sound quality
Heart Gold Soul Silver: Improved graphical and sound quality, second screen, wi fi connectivity
Omega Ruby Alpha Sapphire: Improved sound quality, second screen, wi fi and Street Pass connectivity, 3D models and animations, Amie, Mega Evolution

So I find it hard to say how long this will keep up. Many are thinking that GF have gone downhill in recent years, but part of me wonders if that’s simply due to not keeping pace with technical progress that’s accumulated over time. It’s 2019 on the Switch and they’re still using the basic formula initially developed for the Game Boy in 1996.

The complete absence of downloadable content is conspicuous to me. I‘m no gamer myself, but were there other major 3DS franchises that wouldn‘t give compatibility patches for XY and OrAs, or between SM and UsUm? Were largely identical follow up versions like UsUm even a thing for other series in the 3DS era? I’m starting to wonder how much of the usual Pokémon formula might be outdated at this point.

But again, that won’t stop me from daydreaming about it. Generation IV is the one I am most personally attached to, so it’s something I like to imagine.

It's not surprising at all that each game is adding more demands on the last, that's simply the nature of a tech driven market like gaming. Because developers constantly want consumers to buy the next product, they have to make it better and better in order to convince them to abandon their old product for the new one. And that's exactly what's wrong with Game Freak right now, they're not offering better and better, they're pretty much just playing a zero sum game removing old features in favor of new ones. Which would be great if the old games were actually still on the market for people that want those removed features, but since they aren't, it just makes the games feel lacking. So yeah, the entire issue is that the industry is leaving them behind, not that they've suddenly gotten worse.

Which didn't stop them from doing exactly that with Let's Go.
Except it would be worse for Sinnoh, considering that many of the Pokemon would be completely locked out. Also, there were 493 Pokemon at the time of DP. I don't think that players would want to only have Ponyta as a Fire-type option if they didn't pick Chimchar.

The thing is, Dexit wouldn't have started if they included the data for all Pokemon. The things I blame the most are Game Freak's way of handling data. There's no reason to have multiples of the same character model just to show up at different points of the story. The 3DS Gen 7 games are the prime example of this issue, instead of only having two Lillie models, one for each different look, they instead decided to have multiple copies of both even though they could've easily saved data space by just having the right model appear at the right point in the story, no need for copies to do that.

Keep in mind that in the original DPPt, once you beat the game every species (except for past generation starters and legendaries) in existence at the time was made available some way or another.

The species appearing as standard wild encounters and used by NPC trainers (outside the Battle Tower/Frontier) in the Battle Zone would have to be included in addition to the ones found in the main game’s area, I suppose.

As I said before, I think the main reason LGPE got away with being so basic is because it’s remaking the original pop culture sensation Kanto games. I doubt remakes for any other generation (besides maybe II if we’re being generous) would get cut that kind of slack.

And the DP 150 or even Platinum’s 210 is a prohibitively small selection by current main series standards, especially once Dexit is factored in.

There's no reason to have multiples of the same character model just to show up at different points of the story.

Far as I understand it, it's less of a strain on the engine to do it that way.

Let's Go wasn’t the start of the Dexit policy though (even though it resembles that a lot), and it was the specific original 151+Meltan line theme of the game that caused the policy.

I fail to see the distinction between the two.

I'm kind of dreading this tbh. I don't want GF to remake this and then butcher it.

Given that Dexit means that Game Freak has no reason to keep compatibly anymore in terms of game mechanics, is is possible that Sinnoh might scrap Dynamax/Gigantamax or even get its own power-up/gimmick int its place? It doesn't hurt to prepare for anything at this point.

We might get more of an idea what to expect once Sword and Shield are released, but for now I think these are the bigger questions if DPPt are to be remade in Generation VIII:

• How much will the map be changed to match SwSh’s environments, or to accommodate a Wild Area.
  • Will the selection of Poke mon available in the main game be changed, and how will the post game selection be handled now that there is no National Poke Dex.
  • How will connectivity between Cyan Diamond Magenta Pearl and the rest of Generation VIII work

I fail to see the distinction between the two.

• The selection of 150 in LGPE were the only ones in existence let alone catchable in game at the time of Generation I. DPPt’s Regional Index of 150 or 210 does not even come close to encompassing everything catchable in game or in existence at the time of Generation IV.
  • LGPE also removed held items and abilities, as well as had a different catching mechanic, wild encounters, and art style, all changes which were ignored for Generation VIII.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom