• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Potential News Dates (Comments May Contain Spoilers!)

I’ve been thinking that Bulbasaur and Squirtle won’t be in Galar ever since they revealed Charizard as the champion’s ace.

I will not be surprised if they reveal that Charmander is actually native to Galar, much like how they revealed that Galarian Zigzagoon is the ‘original’ Zogzagoon.

I’ve been thinking that Bulbasaur and Squirtle won’t be in Galar ever since they revealed Charizard as the champion’s ace.

I will not be surprised if they reveal that Charmander is actually native to Galar, much like how they revealed that Galarian Zigzagoon is the ‘original’ Zogzagoon.
It’s a bit different then Zigzagoon, as they created two versions of it to fit that narrative.

It wouldn’t be the first time a Champion has a ace native of another version. They did the same with Mega Gardevoir XY.

Also, people are speculating that Leon’s team might also have Gengar and Machamp, as the MC has posters of those Pokémon alongside Charizard in his/her room,

It’s a bit different then Zigzagoon, as they created two versions of it to fit that narrative
True. But there's always been the question of, where do the starters come from? Outside of Pokémon Yellow/LGPE and maybe island scan, you can't find Charmander in the wild at all. Where do the Pokémon professors find starter Pokémon? Are they all weirdly only bred by the professors and not native to anywhere at all? They have to be from somewhere in the wild. Maybe Charmander is from Galar.

True. But there's always been the question of, where do the starters come from? Outside of Pokémon Yellow/LGPE and maybe island scan, you can't find Charmander in the wild at all. Where do the Pokémon professors find starter Pokémon? Are they all weirdly only bred by the professors and not native to anywhere at all? They have to be from somewhere in the wild. Maybe Charmander is from Galar.
I imagine starters this time around can be found into the wild, but this time they're extremely rare.

They're already treated as extremely rare in Alola and LGPE Kanto, although I can't take the latter seriously for how the same applies to the bird trio.

I’m inclined to accept the anime's explanation: Starter Pokemon are bred and raised in special facilities to act as starter Pokemon for newer trainers and are sufficiently friendly for the task.
They were traditionally inherently rare so are scarce in the wild.

I don't think that they will ever do that. It would diminish the status of the starters as rare and special Pokemon if they can be found regularly in the wild just like the common Pokemon.
How else would Leon get a Charizard? Not to mention Let's Go allowed you to catch starters in the wild, same for SM in a sense

Leon might have competed in the Kanto League as well. He might even be from Kanto himself.

True. Remember, in USUM, when Gladion returned from Kanto for the title shot, he had one of the Kanto starters, which he didn't have when we last faced him. So, it's possible that, even if you're from another region, if you partake in the region's League, you get a starter from that region as a gift or for promotional reasons. How else would Gladion obtain a Venusaur/Charizard/Blastoise?

You really expect to believe A guy went to kanto first to win a league then come back home to win his own? Is it really that hard to believe that maybe he got his charizard in the wild?

You really expect to believe A guy went to kanto first to win a league then come back home to win his own? Is it really that hard to believe that maybe he got his charizard in the wild?
No offense man, but I feel like whenever the charizard line gets brought up you get upset. All this stuff is just harmless speculation, being able to catch a starter in the wild would break a lot of conventions.

He could’ve travelled to Kanto and returned with a starter as a gift without the league process. I find that more plausible given that starter Pokemon are not found in wild aside from very specific exceptions.

Kukui travelled to Kanto, too. And Gladion also returned with a Kanto starter as mentioned earlier.

And really, from where his Charizard is isn’t really a topic warranting that much discussion. For all we know Sycamore gifted him one in Kalos, or he got one from Kanto.
The PC and other characters in the series obtain Pokémon this way.

Putting the Charizard thing aside for now, something interesting came to mind.

How will these games portray shinies in the wild? Due to the whole overworld encounter thing, will it take a page from LGPE and have the shiny Mons glimmer or however it was portrayed? Or will we actually see the Mon in its shiny form in the overworld? Considering that we already know that Mons with "special" traits like high IVs and/or Egg Moves will have a yellow aura, will that mean that shinies will also get similar treatment to help identify them from their normal brethren? That's something I'd like to know, since it could end up changing how shiny hunting is executed from this point forward.

Putting the Charizard thing aside for now, something interesting came to mind.

How will these games portray shinies in the wild? Due to the whole overworld encounter thing, will it take a page from LGPE and have the shiny Mons glimmer or however it was portrayed? Or will we actually see the Mon in its shiny form in the overworld? Considering that we already know that Mons with "special" traits like high IVs and/or Egg Moves will have a yellow aura, will that mean that shinies will also get similar treatment to help identify them from their normal brethren? That's something I'd like to know, since it could end up changing how shiny hunting is executed from this point forward.

In LGPE, you can see the shiny models in the overworld (I just know this because I caught my first ever random encounter shiny yesterday!). It's a very good question because of the double system. Will you see the overworld spawns' shininess but not the hidden grass encounters'? The same goes for the auras for IVs etc., I guess. If so, it'll be easier to shiny or IV hunt some Pokémon than others?

Back
Top Bottom