• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Game play or technical improvements you’d like to see in the main series?

Mega Meganium

Aromatherapy
Reaction score
I find there are many mechanics or technical aspects in the main series games that could use an update, what do you think. I have a number of examples, but I’ll start with the Type balancing. As it stands, some Types are at a considerable offensive or defensive disadvantage compared to the rest. So to fix this, I might suggest:

• Make Ice resistant to Ground and no longer weak to Steel and Rock.
  • Make Electric weak to Bug and Grass.
  • Make Ghost and Fairy no longer resist Bug.
  • Make Fairy weak to Fire.
  • Make Grass no longer weak to or resisted by Flying.
  • Make Water no longer resist Steel.
  • Eliminate compound weaknesses and resistances, that is 4x or 1/4x damage.

Many with double weaknesses (especially to Rock, due to Stealth Rock) wind up getting hindered in battle due to taking 4x damage.
Yeah, but that’s what makes it dynamic. You gotta be careful when choosing your pokemon for a matchup because in your team of water types a Swampert will get beaten by a grass type more badly than a Blastoise.

If Stealth Rock is the problem, then a more viable change is making so it needs stacking like Spikes to actually be a threat.

Yeah, but that’s what makes it dynamic. You gotta be careful when choosing your pokemon for a matchup because in your team of water types a Swampert will get beaten by a grass type more badly than a Blastoise.

If Stealth Rock is the problem, then a more viable change is making so it needs stacking like Spikes to actually be a threat.

I suppose it’s not as bad for things that are offensively oriented, but double weakness destroys the defensive potential of the likes of Stakataka and Bastiodon.

I think the game would be more engaging if opponents consistently fought at your level. Have enemy trainers use whatever evolutions, items, moves, and strategies also accessible to you at the time.

This also means not telling you what the next opponent will be, and opponents switching if they have a type disadvantage or large stat drop.

I‘m fine with normal trainers having a team of 1-3 due to how frequently they’re encountered, but bosses should have teams comparable in size to what you would probably have at that point in the game. Mid to late game bosses should have full teams of 6.

Liquid Ooze, it damages oponent when user gets drained, should have the same effect if user gets hit by fang, crunch and biting moves... Movest boosted by Strong Jaw

all Abilities and moves should have a good in batle effect , I like Ball Fetch, I like Sparkling Aria, but would it be so bad if the first ability would switch out the user if he uses a ball move or switches out before getting hit by oponents one or gains priority next turn?
Sparkling Aria, would it be a problem to heal its own burn status during single battles?
__

The right amount of dual types, taking that we have enough of reapeting monotypes...

Starters always with dual types we have enough on monotyped starters...

not to create to many pokemon that have the same type and the same abilities... especialy if they don't profit from them.

Abilities like Heatproof, Water Compaction, Steam engine , should reduce damage and rise a status... Thick Fat halfs fire and ice damage
why not make Heatproof and Water Comaction half damage and rise both defense and sp. defense one stage...
Steam engine and Thick fat could half the damage of types like they do but extra rise speed... would be much better.
____
If you want to create slow pokemon or defensive ones then make a ability like Stench not cause flinching but maybe rather
cause the oponent to re-charge/block movement a turn with 30% of activating when user or oponent enters the battle field?
Or create abilities that by contact force oponent to re-charge a turn with 30% chance of activation.
Or force to re-charge the oponent when doing more then 1/4 damage to the user? Would allow to create slower pokemon with other stats and would crate a other kind of niche then only flinching.

Last edited:
While not exactly a gameplay feature per se, since a couple days ago I started questioning more the need for a regional professor, the starters and the character being a fresh trainer.

What led to this was a more simple question on why are starters so important and yet left without any kind of explanation pertaining their placement in the regional fauna. As someone that when breeding Pkmn likes to have the eggs hatch at places where the Pkmn hails from or seems to fit, the fact is that we never got (of got a few if they exist) any ingame placement of the starters species. They don't have any particular association to a certain area or even region! Why does Grookey - a monkey - exists in Galar? Why did the designers decided to have a monkey in a British-inspired region? No answers whatsoever! This seems like a flaw in how the designers and artists create the starters in order to just have them there fill a gap, keep the frame going like we know it since the beginning.

Connected to this, is the need for a starter trio. I know that the Grass-Water-Fire is the simpliest form to explain how strenghs and weaknesses work, more so when they have colour associated with it, but is by far ridiculous that we are in the 8th generation and still having the same thing over and over again, with no explanation on why or when they where obtained. No option to have just a Normal type and then proceed to make your own path.
Thirdly, the Professors. Seriously, do we still need to have some person giving us the Pkmn with a research that won't have any effect on our journey and that in the end only serves to evaluate the Dex!? I don't want GF to give me an MMO, but I'm tired of the premise being almost exactly the same. I want to start as a grown-up, with a job and then deciding what to do with my life, if being a Ranger, some evil team's Grunt and rise through the ranks, a breeder, a Contester, a Researcher,etc. Also, do we really need a tool that gives the sames information in every installment and that has never got any true useful feature like the moveset list of that Pkmn, with the levels at which they learn it in order to decide if we want to evolve it or not? We are no longer in the ridiculous situation of having Oak not knowing how many Pkmn there are and then find out a report at Silph with the answer.

C'mom, it has been 20 years since I fell in love with the series but playing almost the same for that amount of time is just frustrating.
Start making a concrete base with features that will be present from now on, ask the players for feedback and have the series follow the pace of the games, not the other way around. GF, start showing some real and stable improvement instead of always trying things that leave no room for the previous stuff and target children. We, the young-adults and adults also want to be cattered, to have options and not being charmed with nostalgia by stuffing the games with Charizard, Pikachu and Mewtwo. C'mom!!

Last edited:
Weak pokemon like starters should get more moves from the start instead to wait.

Bring back cut moves but modify them right.

No new complicated mechanic in gen 9 use what You have in gen 5, 6,7,8 and add something simple... New pokes, moves abilities.

Game consultation changes between gamers and creators via big question polls and with public voting.

possible slightly unconventional opinion: i think the main series games should take a page from the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series when it comes to quests. what do i mean by this?

so, in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, you get to take up different quests ranging from various difficulties that all have varying rewards. i think, taking a page from PMD when it comes to this would benefit the main series a lot and would be a refreshing change that we haven't seen before in main series gaming, imo. im not saying it has to be exactly like how PMD does it, but something similar would be really cool. the main series game could theoretically have an infinite amount of sidequest material of helping out different trainers in need, all giving out different rewards like evolutionary stones, rare candy, and all that stuff increasing in rarity the more difficult the quest is.

man, the more i think about stuff like this, i do have to wonder why it hasn't been implemented already, lol.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom