• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Potential News Dates (Comments May Contain Spoilers!)

I suppose each has their own way of playing, but that's kinda hindering

Is it? I figure getting a Pokemon at a (presumably) lower level as a pre-evo is more advantageous than capturing its high level final evolution. By the time the pre-evo evolves, it will already have some EVs and friendship while a final evo just caught has neither. Pre-evos can also learn powerful moves earlier, and possibly learn some moves the final evolution can't.

Last edited:
For Corviknight, that would mean ignoring all the times you encounter its preevo throughout your journey, and then grinding in max raid battles until you finally come across its g-max form and are strong enough to defeat it.

That’s... unrealistic and really breaks the immersion into the game world.
Not really, there are many pokemon in every game you can't catch until near the end or even ones you have to hunt down cause they're extremely rare, so if you have the patience, this is just how pokemon works, so not their fault you'd rather not work hard for what you want.

im guessing the games will leak about a week from now (I can't believe we're a week away from november lol). I'm only really interested in seeing the exact number of new pokemon we're getting, after that I'll probably avoid the internet till launch.

It's crazy to think the last time I played a pokemon game on launch without knowing most of the dex prior, was Black/White.

Not really, there are many pokemon in every game you can't catch until near the end or even ones you have to hunt down cause they're extremely rare, so if you have the patience, this is just how pokemon works, so not their fault you'd rather not work hard for what you want.
It's still working hard, it's just working hard raising it, not hunting it down already fully evolved.

I have to agree--if catching fully evolved Pokémon is the only way to get Gigantamax forms, that sucks big time.

having to catch them fully evolved would really suck... and it would change what g-pokemon I would actually put on my team. I mean, why can't there be a mark for pokemon who are not in their last stage yet that can g-max when they get there? or have a little entry that talks about it having a locked mysterious ability/aura?
I too wonder if the g-max trait could be bred......... I have a funny feeling it can't.

This is exactly how I wish it was. I don't mind catching G-Max Pokemon fully evolved as an option, but if that's the only way, I find it really annoying. I'd prefer to have them in their basic form and evolve them myself. I wish in addition to those early Deino/Larvitar events they would have given us a way to get pre-evolved G-Max Pokemon.

I guess as a "positive", based on the trailer, it looks like G-Max Alcremie is available at level 30, so that's not too late for me personally.

To be clear, I meant that I do that in my first run, not in all of my playthrough, but I do enjoy the growing/evolution aspect a lot.

It’s normal that people have different preferences and play stiles, though.

If you're going for a full dex, it makes more sense to capture one Pokemon and raise it than it does to catch one Pokemon for battles and another just for entries when they're the same species.
But these aren't near-end Pokemon or extremely rare-they're common Pokemon that are just already evolved. And leveling a Pokemon to evolve it is more work than catching it at its final form. (also this really contradicts your earlier statement that it'd be hindering)

You know my dude had a great idea that gamefreak could have done and it solves two problems...

If you defeated a G-max pokemon you and the other teamates get an egg to hatch and raise. that pokemon when it fully evolves can G-max.
  1. You can raise it.
  2. It solves the akwardness of one person catching one pokemon that other team mates magically get. (think of a nest of eggs)

I was kind of hoping for an explanation why?

My guess:

You said capturing a pre-evo Pokemon and leveling it up and evolving it is a hindrance if its final evolution is available, before, in a later post, stating that exact thing is lazy. If its a hindrance, then it would be more work, hence the contradiction.

You know my dude had a great idea that gamefreak could have done and it solves two problems...

If you defeated a G-max pokemon you and the other teamates get an egg to hatch and raise. that pokemon when it fully evolves can G-max.
  1. You can raise it.
  2. It solves the akwardness of one person catching one pokemon that other team mates magically get. (think of a nest of eggs)
Makes me think of Monster Hunter Stories! :bulbaLove:

1. You can raise it.
I like this!

The (eventually, it is not clear whether the phenomenon is unlocked from the start in the full game) free-standing, freely accessible presence of Dynamax and Gigantamax Pokemon does feel like it is a welcome sandbox element even though in terms of the usual experience of catching and raising it is a bit sideways!
Being able to encounter much higher levelled Pokemon in the wild area is related to this I think; they are new elements with which to either improvise or plan (or both) within both the story playthrough and postgame!

I do also wonder now, where it was described in the recent interview that they have been trying to keep most of the new Pokemon to be revealed within the game itself; whether there could also be a fairly large amount of new battle items! It would be fine with just the original two that were revealed as additions, but somehow there must be at least a few more!

The entire thing that attracted me to Pokemon as a franchise was seeing your Pokémon evolve and grow. Evolution was the main thing that made me attached to the franchise and child me loved to see the anime animations of Pokémon growing and evolving... So I too prefer to catch a base stage Pokemon and evolve it myself.
It gives a sense of having a deeper connection with your Pokémon rather than just capturing an evolved stronger Pokémon later in the game- like a baby or pet you raise yourself. @PocketMonster's idea is much better imo.

GameFreak wants the Pokemon we catch ourselves during the story to be competitive, while completely stripping them from the ability to Gigantamax? It’s pretty counterintuitive, since you have to go really out of the way of a reasonable story playthrough to look for a Gigantamax Pokemon- the very problem GameFreak wanted to prevent.

The entire thing that attracted me to Pokemon as a franchise was seeing your Pokémon evolve and grow. Evolution was the main thing that made me attached to the franchise and child me loved to see the anime animations of Pokémon growing and evolving... So I too prefer to catch a base stage Pokemon and evolve it myself.
It gives a sense of having a deeper connection with your Pokémon rather than just capturing an evolved stronger Pokémon later in the game- like a baby or pet you raise yourself. @PocketMonster's idea is much better imo.

GameFreak wants the Pokemon we catch ourselves during the story to be competitive, while completely stripping them from the ability to Gigantamax? It’s pretty counterintuitive, since you have to go really out of the way of a reasonable story playthrough to look for a Gigantamax Pokemon- the very problem GameFreak wanted to prevent.
You don't have to have to raise every pokemon from their base stage to grow a bond with them. Just having them around is enough to start one. Travel all over with em, fight with em, that's just as good as a humble beginning.

Back
Top Bottom